Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Generator to Alternator Conversion
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
supersuk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I finally got the alternator back onto the car and this is how it fits after all the mods I made. I need to purchase a longer belt so that I can get a little more adjustment out of it. I'm not sure if I should keep this one since the belt will stretch a little. I still have to weld in the gusset, but no problems so far. However, installing the belt is next to impossible without removing the brackets and twisting the alternator.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

68 Fastback Build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5396323#5396323
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EatACactus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brent wrote:
Hit me up if you need some help with modeling. I've got the basics down in Sketchup now and can adjust the laser cut file.

My new job is at a sheet metal fabrication shop. I've got a whole new set of tools at my disposal now Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Classifieds Feedback
HenrikL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Type 3 alternator kit is now listed on the german CSP website:

http://csp-shop.de/cgi-bin/cshop2/front/shop_main....=&all=

Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HenrikL wrote:

$600usd+shipping! LOL
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ddare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm bummed I didn't get in earlier on the alternator brackets as my generator burned up last week on the 405 coming home from work. But hey, ya snooze ya lose.
mackaymanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
HenrikL wrote:

$600usd+shipping! LOL

They have got to be kidding, I can get a 40 amp genuine Denso alternator for under $200 AU.
6T5 square
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the market here in the states would be on just selling the brackets. I, too have been watching this thread to see if anything comes up again. ISP West? how 'bout it?

Quoting John Muir -- Open the rear boot. Get out the stool and sit down. Contemplate the air-cooled beauty before you. - How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive -- Step-By-Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Riekert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, just read through 30 pages and decided that i will custom build a version of Brent's bracket seeing as I'm in South Africa so shipping of any kind would completely kill it plus still no new stock of the brackets an my geni has decided to not function any more.

Thanx for all the info!

Now most of you used the geo/suzuki alternator. Unfortunately we did not get those here. any idea what else would be usable? Or will I just need to go by trial and error? I do have 4 alternators laying in my garage so shouldn't be to much of a hassle to test fit them and see which will work I guess.

Well again thanks for all the info!!

Click to view image
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riekert wrote:
So, just read through 30 pages and decided that i will custom build a version of Brent's bracket seeing as I'm in South Africa so shipping of any kind would completely kill it plus still no new stock of the brackets an my geni has decided to not function any more.

Thanx for all the info!

Now most of you used the geo/suzuki alternator. Unfortunately we did not get those here. any idea what else would be usable? Or will I just need to go by trial and error? I do have 4 alternators laying in my garage so shouldn't be to much of a hassle to test fit them and see which will work I guess.

Probably easiest for you to find an alternator from a tractor or forklift since they're virtually everywhere.

Small industrial tractors and forklifts used similar alternators. I work for Mitsubishi and I know that five or six of our alternators would fit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Riekert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ataraxia wrote:
Probably easiest for you to find an alternator from a tractor or forklift since they're virtually everywhere.

Small industrial tractors and forklifts used similar alternators. I work for Mitsubishi and I know that five or six of our alternators would fit.

Mmm... ok awesome. My uncle works at a forklift repair place. so will give him a shout.

Basically looking for a 45-60amp one then I guess?

Click to view image
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riekert wrote:
ataraxia wrote:

Mmm... ok awesome. My uncle works at a forklift repair place. so will give him a shout.

Basically looking for a 45-60amp one then I guess?

Just make sure it's 12 volt. A large percentage of forklifts run 24 volts.

Try to find a small, 2 ear, 55amp + alternator and you should be in good shape.
Riekert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ataraxia wrote:

Just make sure it's 12 volt. A large percentage of forklifts run 24 volts.

Try to find a small, 2 ear, 55amp + alternator and you should be in good shape.

Ah ok perfect Very Happy

Click to view image
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riekert wrote:

Thanx for all the info!

You could also look for 1 from a Toyota Corolla. I think those cars were sent everywhere. Wink
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Riekert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
You could also look for 1 from a Toyota Corolla. I think those cars were sent everywhere. Wink

Yup those we got here. cool! will have a look at our local scrap yard

Click to view image
marchi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Headed home next month from a long deployment, nice to see everyone is hard at work perfecting the alternator bracket challenge. I cant wait to get a set and convert over. I am up to 3 T3's now.
SOLD Sad
'69 Fastback (Flamer)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EatACactus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey everyone! Bringing this project back from the dead again. It's been quite some time since I've had a chance to play around with Type 3 stuff, but the good news is I've settled into my new job and will be able to do all my laser cutting and bracket bending in-house on proper equipment.

To make things a little easier I built a dedicated area in my machine shop area to work on the brackets. Last night I threw on a set of unmodified tins and cooling shroud to get a better test environment. I'm hoping to have a modified prototype working this weekend and will get to work making a flat to cut out on the laser during the week.

Anyone here already have the Kubota alternator and want to volunteer to do a test for me?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Classifieds Feedback
EatACactus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HenrikL wrote:

I find it ironic that this is almost an identical to what we've been working on. Coincidence or have we been ripped?
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks just like what I have been running for 10 years... so, was I ripped off? What Toby as he has been running one for 12 years?
EatACactus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwfye wrote:
It looks just like what I have been running for 10 years... so, was I ripped off? What Toby as he has been running one for 12 years?

Re-read my post. I specifically said we, as in everyone who's done the conversion, yourself included.
supersuk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an alternator with the same dimensions of the Kubota alternator. I can help test it out.
68 Fastback Build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5396323#5396323
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Page 30 of 33

Jump to: