Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Losing my mind over a clogged heat riser pipe!
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crvc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe I still have the manifold from my '67 bug's original engine. I can trade or sell it if you're interested.

crvc
Ghia Finland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some guys are lucky enough to be able to get wire or similar objects thru the blocked heat riser.

I ended up opening both bends next to the straight part. The tube was fully blocked with rock hard material. It's possible to drill thru this stuff with metal drill. Conreate drillbits will not cut thru. You end up creating a lot of heat, but not much else. If you open both bends you can actually see into the pipe and be able to determine what is good enough for you.

Wire with bend ends was not able to cut this stuff. The only thing I did't try was to use oxy/ acetylen to burn the rest of the stuff away. This might have worked, since opening both bends makes it possible to to actually get the flame and heat inside of the tube.

This rock hard stuff exists only in the straight centeripe that is in contact with the intake manifold. That leads to the question why? As soon as you start the car, evaporating gas starts to cool the pipe. Water in the exhaust gases is a result of burning. Put the cooling and water together and there will be some condensation in the center part. These water droplets attract carbon deposits and sludge starts to form. As the motor runs longer pipe is well heated and it's temperature is above condenstation, and the pipe remains dry. Also, if you just briefly run the motor the center tube does not have time to warm up and some moisture will be left inside. That will cause rusting.

So the stuff inside is mixture of rust and carbon. If you have ill runing engine you may also get oil mixed into this mess. If the pipe is well oiled from inside it will protect it from rusting and therefore it maybe possible to poke thru with wires etc.
notsnarb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Culito wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Time for a new manifold!

I have them ready to ship.......
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1440342

unashamed plug for my refurbished intakes Smile
Todd66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem with one of my 66 when I bought it. The whole thing was absolutely packed with carbon. I tried everything mentioned above and more. I made some progress. I finally decided my time was worth something and bought a new one. I wish I would have just done that sooner. Some may call me a quiter, but as was once said "If at first you don't succeed, quit. There is no reason to make a damn fool out of yourself."
beetleman217
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I since have combated two other heat risers which I was able to unclog with the steel cable and drill trick. So the clogging varies greatly from engine to engine. The one I had to drill - I'm still convinced there was no other way as in that case it was rock hard.

And just an update for all the skeptics - the liquid weld patch is still holding up nicely, two years later now!

1977 Westfalia
1961 Beetle
oggelbe2011
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cleaned a few out with a coat hanger and a drill, then a final reem out with a larger wire cable...messy but it worked. Also used the liquid weld method to plug the holes. 4 years on now and no problems with the epoxy patches.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once owned a bug that had two threaded plugs where the PO had drilled out the pipe at the bends. He actually tapped and threaded the heat riser holes he'd made.

Maybe he figured he'd have to do the job again and wanted easy access.

Tim
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 67 bug manifold was clogged solid as well. I did what most have done. Bought some cable at Lowe's cut the cable at an angle and inserted it into my drill that I ran backwards so it doesn't unwind the cable. I used penetrating oil as a lubricant and it seemed to also help in cutting thru the carbon/rust. As mentioned, it does take time and patience to get thru all the crap but the results are worth it.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ChrisRheinschild
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:18 pm    Post subject: plugged heat risers Reply with quote

I have a rebuilt 1500 that I am going to assemble. I blew air in the heat riser. Nothing!!! Darn!!! I tried 5 others and they were all plugged. No problem. A throttle cable in my drill. No luck or whatever. Next a clutch cable - nope. Tried OxyClean. It bubbled and went down. Added more, it bubbled and went down. Topped them off and closed up. I would put the rest of the solution down in the morning. The remaining solution in the "red solo cup" had turned to water and cement. This meant I had added a cement layer on top of my carbon plug.

I still had 2 manifold that were not usable. No problems - only solutions!!!!

Fired up the gas grill with 3 of the 5 burners on high. 4 hours at 600 degrees. I removed one with pliers and hosed it. The aluminum stayed warm

Back to the bench vice and ball peen hammer. I stood it on end and hammered the aluminum. A rain of carbon came out. A lot. I reversed the manifold and repeated the process. More carbon. I tried the air and had a very slight flow. More banging and more carbon. More air flow. One more time and great air flow. Next the clutch cable on the drill. Nice. I spread the cable ends and polished it from both ends. More air and just carbon dust this time.

By now the other manifold had cooled. No water hose this time. I repeated the process. Hammer, reverse, hammer, air three times. Great flow. Polished with the clutch cable. I am happy.

The side benefit of this process is all the grease and old paint are gone. Clean the flakes with Scotch Brite, primer, grey paint and DONE!

I hopes this works for you.
dcheek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious. There is a procedure in the Muir book that has you heat the carbon with a torch and then run pure oxygen through the riser. Has anybody tried this? Sounds dangerous!

Dave
1966 Westy
1976 914 2.0
1989 911 Carrera
1981 Diesel Rabbit Pick Up
1982 Diesel Vanagon
2014 Golf (last year German mfr for NA)
2019 Jetta Gli, 35th Anniversary Edition, 6 speed
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcheek wrote:
I'm curious. There is a procedure in the Muir book that has you heat the carbon with a torch and then run pure oxygen through the riser. Has anybody tried this? Sounds dangerous!

Dave

The key to that method is a small hole all the way through, so the flame doesn't dead-end, which will just make it hot at a point and maybe melt the aluminum.

With flow all the way through, even with a restriction, the whole interior gets hot enough to cook the soot, and then the pure oxygen superheats the now red hot carbon and it vaporizes.
dcheek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
dcheek wrote:

Dave

The key to that method is a small hole all the way through, so the flame doesn't dead-end, which will just make it hot at a point and maybe melt the aluminum.

With flow all the way through, even with a restriction, the whole interior gets hot enough to cook the soot, and then the pure oxygen superheats the now red hot carbon and it vaporizes.

So it sounds like to me if you manually get a small hole all the way through you might as well continue with the drilling method rather than risk ruining the manifold with too much heat.

Dave
1966 Westy
1976 914 2.0
1989 911 Carrera
1981 Diesel Rabbit Pick Up
1982 Diesel Vanagon
2014 Golf (last year German mfr for NA)
2019 Jetta Gli, 35th Anniversary Edition, 6 speed
BWD
Samba Mailman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcheek wrote:

Dave

Works like a charm!
member #2850
1966 Beetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: