Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The wonders of vinegar (not a pickling recipe)
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject: The wonders of vinegar (not a pickling recipe) Reply with quote

I thought I'd share my great experience I've had using straight, un-diluted vinegar for removing rust from small items. These pics of an original tube socket wrench prove my point with 'before' and 'after' shots. The 'after' shot is after about 3 days soaking, and light buffing with a non-metallic scouring pad. (the dark ring in the 'after' shot is from leaving it standing up in vinegar with some scum on top ...a resoak and buff will remove the ring). Follow up with a good wash in dish-soapy water, and dry with a hairdryer. For tools, a light spray of oil will keep them from rusting again soon, or if they are just for show, a shot of clear-coat will prevent re-rusting. I've done the vinegar thing with lots of small items, with great success. (Did the gas tank hold-downs, the rear seat-back mounting bolts, the ashtray, etc.) and generic, kitchen variety vinegar is cheap ...about $2.50 a gallon. For some applications you can water it down 50%. And you can use it over-and-over again. Really.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Northof49
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does wonders on restoring original fasteners too. Very handy as it's hard to match the oem style and quality. I have some soaking in a bucket right now. They come out looking like new.
DuaneL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it also does wonders for hard water stains on glass (like if you park where a sprinkler hits the car on a hot day) though for glass it can be diluted.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pb_foots
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it will also deodorize just about anything safely and soften hard water in the wash. I use it for my detailing towels since I don't want fab softener on them.

For anyone with small kids, vinegar works better than anything in getting that damn puke smell out of bedding. For those without kids, you don't know the horror of washing sheets and still having that smell on them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buggy2430
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Tip! You can use it as a weed killer too.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can also tear some shit up...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?search...rs=200tear

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vinegar is good, so is lemon juice. I boil my distributors in it for a brief time. Finish with steel wool.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
retroman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even mix it with baking soda. Its a blast!
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

retroman wrote:

And take a big sniff...

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
retroman wrote:
And take a big sniff...

every time man

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theparanorm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually keep 5 gallons of this stuff around the house. So many uses and pretty dang cheap.

I make my own cleaners with it soaking orange peels for a week in a sealed container. Works perfect and no harsh chemicals.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

retroman wrote:

Yup, we played with these as kids:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?produc...;gclsrc=ds

johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuck Vinegar

Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would likely sting a bit ...(or a lot!!)
kuta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a stuck choke cable and was contemplating cutting holes in the tunnel to replace until I thought i'll try one last thing.

Silicone nozzle taped to the outer cable sheath and pour in the vinegar til full.

Top up as necessary, leave for about a week with a few twists and wiggles in between and once loose blow out with compressed air and lubricate thoroughly.

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuta wrote:
I had a stuck choke cable and was contemplating cutting holes in the tunnel to replace until I thought i'll try one last thing.

Silicone nozzle taped to the outer cable sheath and pour in the vinegar til full.

Top up as necessary, leave for about a week with a few twists and wiggles in between and once loose blow out with compressed air and lubricate thoroughly.

Better living through chemistry.

I use white vinegar (5.25% acetic acid) or dilute phosphoric acid for stuff like this. To clean my ice machine I use citric acid dissolved in water (vinegar would leave a smell). I use baking soda from the store for cleaning battery trays and for pH control in my jacuzzi.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While your parts are soaking try this, two heaping tablespoons of honey, one tablespoon apple cider vinegar, two cups of very warm water. Mix it up and drink. Be sure to follow this with water or whatever else you normally drink because the vinegar will also do a number on your tooth enamel. This is a recipe from Vermont folk medicine of the 1800s. For a complete explanation read the book "folk medicine" available used and written by a Vermont doctor back in 1958. Apple cider vinegar is good for you, try it this way. Very Happy

Jim
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazon.com for that used book.
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The wonders of vinegar (not a pickling recipe) Reply with quote

Digger89L wrote:
I thought I'd share my great experience I've had using straight, un-diluted vinegar for removing rust from small items. These pics of an original tube socket wrench prove my point with 'before' and 'after' shots. The 'after' shot is after about 3 days soaking, and light buffing with a non-metallic scouring pad. (the dark ring in the 'after' shot is from leaving it standing up in vinegar with some scum on top ...a resoak and buff will remove the ring). Follow up with a good wash in dish-soapy water, and dry with a hairdryer. For tools, a light spray of oil will keep them from rusting again soon, or if they are just for show, a shot of clear-coat will prevent re-rusting. I've done the vinegar thing with lots of small items, with great success. (Did the gas tank hold-downs, the rear seat-back mounting bolts, the ashtray, etc.) and generic, kitchen variety vinegar is cheap ...about $2.50 a gallon. For some applications you can water it down 50%. And you can use it over-and-over again. Really.

You can have the same effect in about 3 hours by emersing a part in a bucket of water and use a negative lead from a battery clipped to the part and the positive cable to the bucket.
Another fast way ( the acid in the vinegar is what is doing the work ) is to replace the vinegar with muriatic acid that you can get at HD or a pool supply....only don't leave your parts in there for three days!
jwp67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: The wonders of vinegar (not a pickling recipe) Reply with quote

Helfen wrote:
Digger89L wrote:

You can have the same effect in about 3 hours by emersing a part in a bucket of water and use a negative lead from a battery clipped to the part and the positive cable to the bucket.

This X2. Amazing results. I use a scrap piece of steel instead of the clamp to the bucket. Add Arm and Hammer Washing Soda to the water and make sure the positive lead is out of the water.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: