Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

6V/12V wiper motor question
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
opus21744
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:54 pm    Post subject: 6V/12V wiper motor question Reply with quote

Will appreciate if someone can enlighten/correct me:

1. I have seen pictures for NOS wiper motors for 58 to 67 bugs. Other than extra electrical connectors, they appear to look the same.

2. I understand motors for 58 to 64 are 6V single speed, 65 to 67 are 12V two speed. Is this correct?

3. Will the 65 to 67 12V motor fit the 58 to 64 wiper arm assembly without modification (if vehicle has been rewired to 12V)?

Thanks in advance for sharing.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Bugs, 1965 and 1966 were single speed. It was only after the USA switched to 12V in 1967 that 2 speeds were added.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vdubmyk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a 12v armature in my 64 bug. I got it from Wolfsburg west. It only fits SWF wiper motors. Very easy to replace, there's a tutorial here on thesamba.
shortride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My '66 Bug was converted to 12 volt some time before I bought it but it had the original 6 volt wiper motor. It ran too fast so I had a 12 volt wiper motor installed and it runs somewhat slower now but I would like to have a variable speed wiper without compromising the looks of the original knob and button.

Retired US Army - 21 years 11B40, 173rd Airborne Brig. - Vietnam Combat Veteran
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shortride: When you had the wiper motor changed to 12V, how was it done? 12V wiper motors should be 2-speed already. If it was the aforementioned armature replacement, then you're stuck with the one speed. Now if they put in a two speed motor, it's possible to wire up a single speed wiper switch to a two speed motor but you have to choose which of the speeds you want... all you'd have to do is get a 2 speed wiper switch and wire it up properly.

Back in the early 90s when conversion armatures did not exist, I used a pair of high power resistors to get two speeds out my 6V wiper motor, using the 1967 wiper switch (which was the only early-style wiper switch then available to buy new)

All of those wiring options are shown here:

-
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shortride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
shortride: When you had the wiper motor changed to 12V, how was it done? 12V wiper motors should be 2-speed already. If it was the aforementioned armature replacement, then you're stuck with the one speed. Now if they put in a two speed motor, it's possible to wire up a single speed wiper switch to a two speed motor but you have to choose which of the speeds you want... all you'd have to do is get a 2 speed wiper switch and wire it up properly.

Back in the early 90s when conversion armatures did not exist, I used a pair of high power resistors to get two speeds out my 6V wiper motor, using the 1967 wiper switch (which was the only early-style wiper switch then available to buy new)

All of those wiring options are shown here:

-

I haven't a clue how it was done. All I know is that the installer replaced the original 6 volt motor with a 12 volt that he showed me from a later model. Don't you still need a 2 speed switch even if the motor is a 2 speed? My car still has the original wiper switch. It runs noticeably slower than it did with the original 6 volt motor in it.

Retired US Army - 21 years 11B40, 173rd Airborne Brig. - Vietnam Combat Veteran
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shortride wrote:
Don't you still need a 2 speed switch even if the motor is a 2 speed? My car still has the original wiper switch. It runs noticeably slower than it did with the original 6 volt motor in it.

No, you can use a 1 speed switch and just hook it up to one of the two speeds of the 12V two speed motor. That was the first diagram I included above.
opus21744
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for all your feedback. I hv a better understanding and clearer picture now, especially with the circuit diagrams - special thanks to glutamodo for this.
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why on earth would anyone fit a 2 speed wiper motor then only wire it up to run on one speed?
a bit like having a V8 engine and pulling 4 of the spark plugs out.

2 speed switches can be got very easy and the joy of having 12 volt wipers is 2 speeds.
opus21744
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joel: it's a work around for older bugs that have been rewired from 6v to 12v whilst maintaing the wiper switch knob as original. cheers.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, if you want a push/pull style wiper switch, you're stuck with one speed. I didn't mind going to a rotary 1967-style 2-speed switch in my 62, it still uses the same knobs, the only time it looks different is when you have the wipers turned on.
Aussiebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your 6v wipers work just fine on 6v you'd rather not touch them, you can safely run them on 12v with a very simple circuit (4 components) from radio shack etc. This is a current limiter which prevents the wipers from over speeding, whilst not getting red hot like a dropping resistor. It means you don't have to take your wiper assembly out of the car, and with an additional bit of experimentation on the two resistor values, you can even get 2speeds, so long as you fit a two speed switch.

Go to our web site www.vw.resource.com and click on search. Search for 6v wipers and go to the article Running your 6v wipers on 12v.
http://www.vw-resource.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

opus21744 wrote:
joel: it's a work around for older bugs that have been rewired from 6v to 12v whilst maintaing the wiper switch knob as original. cheers.

you can fit the later model 2 speed switches and just fit the ivory knob and it looks all stock, we did that in a mates 67 when we converted it to 12 volt.

Like Andy says it will just turn instead if twist.
Dynaflash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have any info on installing a 68 and up wiper assembly in a 62 bug?

My bug is 12 volt and I don't mind using a 68 style switch. Just need to know if it will fit the car and how to wire one before I make the purchase.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: