Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

help ! what is this part I just broke ?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattlamb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject: help ! what is this part I just broke ? Reply with quote

what the heck is this part ? its in under the water hoses just above the fuel fiter.
white part attached to hose broke in half..

looks like it attaches to the engine via mechanical gear.

has the code GJE 11 stamped on it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

its just behind the oil filter at the top back side of the engine, is a fuel line/device or vacuum line/device? Mad

Last edited by mattlamb on Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:09 pm; edited 6 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
narendra.vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vacuum hose for brake booster. Most important. brake becomes hard if it is not connected.
mattlamb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:57 pm    Post subject: hmmm not sure Reply with quote

when I look up vacuum booster it looks nothing like it..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
narendra.vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

please start the engine & check the brake effort needed.
mattlamb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject: no can do Reply with quote

I broke it while trying to get the tranny back in, which so far refuses to connect..
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the fitting on the vacuum pump. It has an integral check valve. I've repaired them by installing a brass check valve from mcmaster and then added a brass barb fitting.

I used check valve part # 7775K21 along with a 1/2" barb fitting. I tapped the lid of the vac pump making sure to chamfer the inner edge of the threads and also making sure that the brass check valve threads didn't protrude below the inner vac pump surface. The vanes of the pump ride against the lid and so anything protruding would ruin the vanes. I'm not sure what the other end of the 1/2" brass fitting was as it was one I had in the barb fitting bin. I cut off the non-barb end of the fitting and tapped the inside to 1/8 NPT, threaded it all together and was off to the races. It works very well indeed and IMO, it's a permanent fix and an improvement over the VW design.

mattlamb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:03 pm    Post subject: nice brass check valve Reply with quote

That looks like it will do the trick, pity I was going to take the van for a road trip tomorrow may not be able to get it done, take the Landcrusier instead..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: