Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hot Start Issues - FI bus super rich when hot **FIXED**
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
canadianveedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:21 pm    Post subject: Hot Start Issues - FI bus super rich when hot **FIXED** Reply with quote

So, this is another hot start issue thread, however, I have narrowed the problem down to being way to rich. Here is where I am at.
I have a 1979 Cali bus with EFI and electronic ignition. I have only started experiencing this in the last 4 weeks.
Like most others, I do not have the problem if I shut the bus down for a few minutes, or if I let if cool completely. It only has issues starting when it has heat soaked for a bit. The ignition is working and the timing is fine.
I have narrowed it down to the bus being super rich when it is trying to start. If I go to start it, it may kind of fire OK, but then shuts down. No amount of cranking will get it to go, with or without the throttle depressed. I found some previous threads on this problem that caused me to unplug the cold start injector, which almost worked, but led me down the path of trying to unplug all of my injectors. Crank it over, plug them back in and it will fire up and run.
So, my question is, what would cause it to crank really rich when hot?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by canadianveedub on Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=602704
canadianveedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fuel pressure is one of my thoughts. I will check it out ASAP
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:32 pm    Post subject: 79 CA. BUS Reply with quote

Is this 1979 CA Bus still original with
o2 SENSOR and CATALYTIC CONVERTER?

I will assume you have a Bentley repair manual and that you have
already verified the cylinder head temp sensor is within specs for both
cold and warm engine temps.

If the o2 sensor is faulty it will contribute to a rich running engine as soon
as 5 minutes running time
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 CA. BUS Reply with quote

old DKP driver wrote:
Is this 1979 CA Bus still original with
o2 SENSOR and CATALYTIC CONVERTER?

I will assume you have a Bentley repair manual and that you have
already verified the cylinder head temp sensor is within specs for both
cold and warm engine temps.

If the o2 sensor is faulty it will contribute to a rich running engine as soon
as 5 minutes running time

what old DKP driver wrote is the best and most concise answer you will get on this. I would follow his advice because it is likely your problem is one of these things.
canadianveedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bus does not have an O2 sensor, EGR or Catalytic Convertor. What I am having trouble with is why it won't start until after I unplug the injectors, crank to clear the engine and plug them back in. It seems as though it starts off cranking rich, leading me towards fuel pressure issues
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or fuel leakage issues. This will be a simple check with a pressure gauge even without the engine running. Hook the pump up direct to pressurize the fuel loop. Pull all five injectors out first (actually get some fresh injector seals first).....and verify that none of your injectors is leaking into the engine. You can check fuel pressure at the same time. Use a hand vacuum pump to take the fuel pressure regulator up to 15"hg and make sure its operating correctly. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
canadianveedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:15 pm    Post subject: And the problem was....... Reply with quote

So, after a massive goose chase I have found the issue. It was a faulty AFM. Here is how I got there:

When you have a rich condition, there can be several issues, and you have to troubleshoot rather systematically to narrow it down. In this case, I needed a multimeter, a fuel pressure gauge, a bentley manual and some scotch.

I started with checking all of the sensors at the ECU plug. I checked the TSI, the TSII and the AFM resistance, which actually checked out normal. I checked the fuel pressure while cranking and it was a rock solid 36PSI. I moved then to the coil, which was WAY out of spec, so I replaced it. This did not solve the issue.

I checked for leaky injectors by doing a fuel pressure leak down, which was normal. I checked all hoses and they were all good condition with no tears or leaks. I still had the same issue: when I cranked while the engine was warm, it flooded. It could be cleared by unplugging the injectors and then the engine would start. I moved to the last piece of the puzzle. The AFM.

I pried the top cover off and was greeted with severely worn tracks inside the AFM. I adjusted the wiper to clean track and cleaned the tracks with contact cleaner. (I fiddled with it for several hours trying to fix the problem, which I think may actually be an issue with the contacts at the top of the wiper arm)This did not fix the issue, so I decided to probe a little deeper.

The AFM uses an unconventional 7.5V reference signal, as opposed to most that use 0-5V. As you sweep through the flap positions, you should get a linear output that increases steadily. I turned on the ignition and moved the wiper arm while probing pin 6 (gnd) and pin 7 (signal out). The wiper should be 1.75-7.0v. As I moved the arm through its movement, I noticed that it would go down from 7v to 3v in a linear fashion and then plummet to 1.5v for the last entire section at the bottom...right where you are cranking. It was missing several volts of signal. This really tied everything together for me.

For the life of me, I could never get my bus to start when cold without giving it a bit of throttle. I never really thought about it, but moving the throttle moved the flap enough to get it out of the AFM dead zone into an area where it was getting enough voltage to ask for some fuel. When hot, however, it would go from no fuel to flooding out when I touched the pedal as a hot engine will not handle being too rich. I ordered a refurbished AFM from German Supply and got it this afternoon. I crossed my fingers and the bus fired right up with a tiny bit of throttle when cold and like a dream when hot. It runs smooth all throughout the RPM range, although I think it has lost a bit of torque.

For all of the FI guys with hot starting issues, I would suggest you look at the voltage output of your AFM as a troubleshooting step as the resistance checks in the bentley manual checked out fine for a dead AFM.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad it is fixed - FYI - the AFM is not linear. Think of it like a runner whose distance is being measured to six people standing at different spots on the road. Each person is getting a different measurement from the runner both coming and going. Those measurements are fed into the circuit which determines where the door is and how fast it is changing. Both those are needed to know how much extra fuel to add. If for example the door is moving quickly by a spot then the amount of fuel needed is greater (think accelerator pump on a carb) than if the door is static in that spot. The bottom line is that it does not read just one voltage signal, it reads six or seven. And moving the board in any plane changes the calibration which is needed to get the measurements right - even though lots of places say you can fix a worn AFM that way. You can but much the same way bailing wire will hold a door closed for awhile although it is not really a latch.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thank you, for posting what the fix was!
Just to clarify.
When you sweep the AFM flap open you should see a linear reading from 1.75-7.0v.
As you swept the arm closed, you noticed that it would go down from 7v to 3v in a linear fashion and then plummet to 1.5v for the last entire section at the bottom...right where you are cranking.
Thanks again
Tcash
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TCash and Canadianveedub -

The AFM is not a linear potentiometer with one voltage output. It is a potentiometer with multiple taps. Each of those taps sends a separate reading to the ECU.

The purpose of the AFM is:

1) tell the ECU when the bus engine is pulling enough air to turn on the fuel pump (contact points in the AFM)

2) tell the ECU the temperature of the incoming air (TS1)

3) tell the ECU how much air is being ingested by the engine (multiple taps)

4) tell the ECU how fast the engine is accelerating by how fast the sweep arm is moving (which the ECU will inject a little extra fuel like an accelerator pump does.)

Unless someone has the ability to measure all the signal voltages SIMULTANEOUSLY and compare them to the original specs by Bosch for each air flow range, (which no one can find) one cannot know if the ECU is truly working to spec or not. There are resistance measurement tests for for each of those taps (segments) in the Fuel Injection manual. In later models Bosch added a ground wire to the sweep arm after they discovered that corrosion in the sweep arm crimp interfered with correct readings sometimes. As they were built, a laser was used to tune each circuit board in 2 dimensions AFTER it was mounted and screwed down so it read the correct curve on each tap at different flows. One cannot measure one resistance or voltage and declare the AFM is good or bad. Nor can they move or replace the board without destroying the tuning Bosch did to each AFM. It is a bailing wire and bubble gum fix putting your engine heads at risk. Look at the manual for the correct tests. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/afc_fi...Manual.pdf

Example of test:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

canadianveedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
TCash and Canadianveedub -

The AFM is not a linear potentiometer with one voltage output. It is a potentiometer with multiple taps. Each of those taps sends a separate reading to the ECU.

The purpose of the AFM is:

1) tell the ECU when the bus engine is pulling enough air to turn on the fuel pump (contact points in the AFM)

2) tell the ECU the temperature of the incoming air (TS1)

3) tell the ECU how much air is being ingested by the engine (multiple taps)

4) tell the ECU how fast the engine is accelerating by how fast the sweep arm is moving (which the ECU will inject a little extra fuel like an accelerator pump does.)

Unless someone has the ability to measure all the signal voltages SIMULTANEOUSLY and compare them to the original specs by Bosch for each air flow range, (which no one can find) one cannot know if the ECU is truly working to spec or not. There are resistance measurement tests for for each of those taps (segments) in the Fuel Injection manual. In later models Bosch added a ground wire to the sweep arm after they discovered that corrosion in the sweep arm crimp interfered with correct readings sometimes. As they were built, a laser was used to tune each circuit board in 2 dimensions AFTER it was mounted and screwed down so it read the correct curve on each tap at different flows. One cannot measure one resistance or voltage and declare the AFM is good or bad. Nor can they move or replace the board without destroying the tuning Bosch did to each AFM. It is a bailing wire and bubble gum fix putting your engine heads at risk. Look at the manual for the correct tests. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/afc_fi...Manual.pdf

Example of test:

The last half of your post is actually completely incorrect and I wish that you would do some homework before posting things as facts.
There are different resistances on the tracks in the sweep of the track, but they would only serve to change the SLOPE of the curve, creating only a slight non-linearity.

The pins of the AFM are as follows.
6 - Ground
7 - Output 1.75-7.0 volts
8 - Regulated 7.5v input
9 - 12v Input
27 - IAT sensor output (grounded to pin 6)
36 - Switched to FP relay
39 - 12V input for FP relay

Here is a schematic

If you turn on your ignition, and operate the swing door, you will have a voltage that changes as it goes through the sweep of the door on pin 7. This is the way that a throttle position sensor works as well.

The reason that there is different resistances on all of the different pins is that the resistance will be different in all parts of the potentiometer circuit depending on where the arm is.

So you CAN actually measure the voltage output and declare an AFM as good or bad, in fact, here is a link to a gut who rebuilds these and uses an oscilloscope to pass or fail the units using the voltage output.

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=247831
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

each one of the segments is tuned at the factory with a laser (see the black burn marks) so that the board follows the map Bosch had in mind when they designed it. There is more going on than what you profess you understand to be going on. Many people have monitored voltages thinking that as long as it went up and down they understood how it worked. I did the same thing way back and guess what - more is going on. All I can tell you is that as time passes you will discover that unless someone finds a schematic for the 75-78 ECU, and also the 79 - 82 ECU, it is unlikely anyone will ever completely understand how the board map works. For all either of us know, the circuit may also be monitoring current flow into that board as well.

VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem found, problem solved!

Good work and thanks for sharing

Does the injected Beetle use the same hardware?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
each one of the segments is tuned at the factory with a laser (see the black burn marks) so that the board follows the map Bosch had in mind when they designed it. There is more going on than what you profess you understand to be going on. Many people have monitored voltages thinking that as long as it went up and down they understood how it worked. I did the same thing way back and guess what - more is going on. All I can tell you is that as time passes you will discover that unless someone finds a schematic for the 75-78 ECU, and also the 79 - 82 ECU, it is unlikely anyone will ever completely understand how the board map works. For all either of us know, the circuit may also be monitoring current flow into that board as well.

Everyone is right....and wrong about whether the AFM track is linear or not.

As for the carbon track itself.....if its used as a rheostat (which it is) and if it did not have segmented taps (like it does).....and instead you had a varied cross section along the length of the track that was a uniform slope angle.....it would in fact be linear as long as the carnon deposit was uniform.

However.....its segmented in its use. Each of of those angled "teeth" coming out from the side is a contact pad designed to connect to the circuit traces which are most probably tinned silver.
As SGKent noted.....you can see the laser trim marks on the connecting trace pads. The is common practice in resistive and inductive surface mount circuits.

It tunes each "segment" of output to a specific resistance spec.
So...even though the actual carbon track IS linear.....it is segmented and ballested for resistance at each segment......so there is no way from the wire connector loom to read of use the resistances in a linear fashion. The wiper moves from segment to segment.

No whether the individual resistance of each segment is cumulatively linear or not (which I doubt because the segments are each tapped off and ballested).....really makes no difference. The system uses them in a segmented fashion. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
canadianveedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a great desciption in the bosch l-jet technical manual on page 17.
http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&...mp;cad=rja
I will agree that the voltage output is non-linear, it is actually logarithmic, however, the output that the ECU receives and uses for fueling calculations is a voltage, not reading simultaneous resistances on all of the pins.
We can get into all sorts of semantics about this, however the bottom line is that the output is a voltage that represents the flap angle. If this voltage output has dead spots or dropouts, it will not function correctly.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I will bite....

Why not just install a cat converter and use an O2 sensor to all the engine to lean out like it is supposed to?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

canadianveedub wrote:
I will agree that the voltage output is non-linear, it is actually logarithmic, however, the output that the ECU receives and uses for fueling calculations is a voltage, not reading simultaneous resistances on all of the pins.
We can get into all sorts of semantics about this, however the bottom line is that the output is a voltage that represents the flap angle. If this voltage output has dead spots or dropouts, it will not function correctly.

That is correct. And no need for semantics....as long as everyone understands how it works and the difficulty of checking it properly.
And yes....dead spots will mess it up. Also...just moving to a clean patch with the wiper contact...is just a functionality band aid.

If you are missing carbon from a segment from wear....it changes the resistance of that segment and thus changes the amount of voltage it allows through.

In reality...the resistance of each segment is a voltage "delay". It bleeds voltage off by converting to heat just like any other resistor (the higher the resistance to electron flow the hotter the resistor runs).

Its not a very high level of heat because the current is low.....but its one of two reasons why they elected to make this board out of ceramic as compared to a standard composite board with a lacquer. It allowed them to use a high fire carbon....which back in those days was about all you could get that had enough abrasion resistance......and the ceramic board resists heat degradation from surface mount resistors as well.
Ray
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

canadianveedub wrote:

I will agree that the voltage output is non-linear, it is actually logarithmic...

I will concur with that - the issue for most of us is we have no table/map of output VS flap angle which is supposed to equal air flow, and we have no means (yet) of knowing how it is that the ECU converts flap speed and direction into the additional pulse lengths. I replaced the board on one with a brand new board given to me by Robert at FIC. Although it made perfect contact and the voltage output was within specs, it was simply not tunable. The air to fuel ratio was all over the place even though the output was stable. I went to a sealed box NOS AFM and even though the voltage ranges were similar, it worked flawlessly. I put the old board back into the used unit and although it had a worn spot that dropped out, the output became tunable again. The two boards had exactly the same resistances. There is something more going on with that board than meets the eye and a reason it was broken into segments.

Most of us find that Randy's suggestion works best - we simply make sure that there are no dead spots, then tune it by air to fuel mixture. Bosch also had lots of trouble with the arm crimp altering output due to oxidization, hence late models have an additional wire that parallels the crimp. When a dead spot occurs, moving the arm may fix the dead spot but it also changes the distance to the edge of the resistor so it does alter resistance. It cost me $225 for a NOS AFM - the time I spent trying to fix and tune the old one simply was a huge waste of time. The time lost would have generated $2000 in income to the way I look at it, the old one that didn't work cost me $2000+ and the new one that works flawlessly cost me $225.

I really am glad your bus is running well.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
canadianveedub wrote:

I will agree that the voltage output is non-linear, it is actually logarithmic...

I will concur with that - the issue for most of us is we have no table/map of output VS flap angle which is supposed to equal air flow, and we have no means (yet) of knowing how it is that the ECU converts flap speed and direction into the additional pulse lengths. I replaced the board on one with a brand new board given to me by Robert at FIC. Although it made perfect contact and the voltage output was within specs, it was simply not tunable. The air to fuel ratio was all over the place even though the output was stable. I went to a sealed box NOS AFM and even though the voltage ranges were similar, it worked flawlessly. I put the old board back into the used unit and although it had a worn spot that dropped out, the output became tunable again. The two boards had exactly the same resistances. There is something more going on with that board than meets the eye and a reason it was broken into segments.

Most of us find that Randy's suggestion works best - we simply make sure that there are no dead spots, then tune it by air to fuel mixture. Bosch also had lots of trouble with the arm crimp altering output due to oxidization, hence late models have an additional wire that parallels the crimp. When a dead spot occurs, moving the arm may fix the dead spot but it also changes the distance to the edge of the resistor so it does alter resistance. It cost me $225 for a NOS AFM - the time I spent trying to fix and tune the old one simply was a huge waste of time. The time lost would have generated $2000 in income to the way I look at it, the old one that didn't work cost me $2000+ and the new one that works flawlessly cost me $225.

I really am glad your bus is running well.

The reason why the resistances do not jive with actual output....is because of what canadianveedub was getting at. This is also why I noted that you are both right about respective details.

Unlike certain aspects of running in fuel injection systems where the resistance is actually the "signal" that the ECU is looking for...in this case....the ECU is looking for VOLTAGE.

Although you were 100% right that this board and rheostat is not used in a linear fashion....canadianveedub was right about the voltage being the real issue.

I went over this rant years ago on the STF with regard to D-jet.....

The gist is that with carbon and many other conductives....if there is damage, missing mass, porosity etc......the difference in resistance my be so slight that you cannot measure it with anything short of a true OHM meter or a scope. However...when voltage is applied to it....its IMPEDANCE POTENTIAL changes and you get resistance to flow over and above the designed in resistance level.....so you get a voltage drop.

This is also this issue from dirty connectors and old wiring with bad insulation, cracks, corrosion and heat damage. A simple ohm reading on all wires in D and L jet may show nothing is really amiss....but when you push voltage @ current through the wires and connections.....poor impedance potential in a strictly resistance and timer based system will show up as poor running and injection event control.
The application of heat inside of the engine compartment on said crappy wires...only makes this worse.

The only way to test for this is to test through a parallel wiring network while its operating.....and only if said network can keep from changing the baseline resistance just from being hooked up.

Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: