Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Alternator issue... Need advice please...
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

15.31 Volts? That's wrong! Only a bad battery will stay that high while not being charged. Is your volt meter set right?
Also, You could damage things disconnecting B+ like that! So Leave it hooked to a good battery. A good Battery will read 12.6 Volts at rest and 14 volts when being charged. Measure from the Positive of the battery to the neg of the battery. The fact that the Alt light is not coming on in the key on position implies it's not really connected To the small D+ Terminal on your alternator. You may just have a bad wire! Check that meter out too. It should read 12.6 volts on another 12 volt car battery not being charged.
MajikFungi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jody '71 wrote:
I agree with SGKent. Take that tee off (it serves no purpose) and put your OP sender back where it belongs. I can see why it's running hot with all that chrome aftermarket stuff on there. Replace it now with original German tin or replace it all later when your engine fries.

Hmmm.. I dont even know anything about OP sender.. The oil pressure thingy was like that when i bought it.. What should i do? where does it belong? whats the Tee? Argh!! and why is it where it doesnt belong?

I understand, I have been told the after market chrome tinware is crap.. But honestly, it hasnt changed the running temp... It ran hot with the plain old black tinware i removed.. I still have the tinware but its attached to a burned out generator i couldnt remove..

Thankyou for your input.. keep it coming.. Wink
MajikFungi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
15.31 Volts? That's wrong! Only a bad battery will stay that high while not being charged. Is your volt meter set right?
Also, You could damage things disconnecting B+ like that! So Leave it hooked to a good battery. A good Battery will read 12.6 Volts at rest and 14 volts when being charged. Measure from the Positive of the battery to the neg of the battery. The fact that the Alt light is not coming on in the key on position implies it's not really connected To the small D+ Terminal on your alternator. You may just have a bad wire! Check that meter out too. It should read 12.6 volts on another 12 volt car battery not being charged.

Ok.. I checked the New beetle battery... hmmm.. 16volts car off and 17volts on idle..

Yep... now I feel even dumber... new meter required..

the Alt light works.. theres a wire coming into the engine bay.. if i earth it with ignition on/engine off the alt light works.. this is the wire i connected to the small D+ terminal on Alt...
so i guess this mean something inside the alternator is faulty?

Thanks
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MajikFungi wrote:

Hmmm.. I dont even know anything about OP sender.. The oil pressure thingy was like that when i bought it.. What should i do? where does it belong? whats the Tee? Argh!! and why is it where it doesnt belong?

Originally there was only a the fairly small oil pressure switch screwed into the hole where now the much larger and heavier tee is screwed in. The mass and leverage of the tee and what is screwed into it can easily damage the block. If you want to keep the tee and the add oil pressure sender it is best to add a flexible hose between the tee and the block so tee doesn't exert undue pressure onto the block.
MajikFungi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, so i can remove the tee and the part painted green? and just screw the piece that the wire is attached to straight into the block?

If its not needed I dont want it there... or is the green part needed as well?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Jody '71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that green can appears to be an OP sending unit for an OP gauge that would be located up in your dash area. Why the guy that owned your Bus before you did it that way is unknown. Be extremely careful undoing all of that, you don't want to crack the threads in the case where that Tee screws in. Take the OP sending unit out of the tee and screw it into the case. Do not cross thread it or overtighten it or you will be f*cked.
Get your alternator problem fixed after that.
Then address the reason why your engine is running at 125 C (almost 260 F) which is way too hot. Your OT gauge will only read accurately depending on where the OT sender is located on the engine case. Your tin work is one reason for sure. But your engine compartment needs to be totally sealed off all the way around inclusive of front and rear tin. You don't mention if you still have heater boxes on there or J-tubes.
MushroomBoy you really need to get a Bentley manual for your Bus.
MajikFungi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Cool Cool Cool

Ok i will be careful with the OP switch..

The temp gauge wire runs underneath the block near cylinder no. 2 from memory.. It's 11:30 pm here so i wont be inspecting it now.. It doesn't run at 125 constantly, but it does reach 125 on the gauge after running for only a short time at 90kms.... in normal start stop traffic or cruising through my suburb the Dub stays cooler than 125..
I also noticed headlights and stereo affect this gauge..
This poor bus needs more care than I can afford Sad

I installed the shroud with the engine still in the van so i had alot of trouble trying to work/see behind it to get things fitted...
Theres no flaps or linkages in there.. there wasnt any in the 1 I removed either.. And I cant find a thermostat...
I know the air intake part ( or whatever its called ) of the fan shroud is not sealed correctly so air is coming in from under the van as well as the hot air circulating in the engine bay..

I have read a little bit about the cooling system.. I know I need things sealed correctly in order for the fan to do its job correctly.. Its just sooooo fiddley... theres a gap here... a gap there.. I really failed trying to line all the tinware up.. I have a new engine door seal to install.. i need to get the other seal which goes around the motor...

Wow.. way of topic.. but i appreciate the advice.. Laughing
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing You sound like your getting the idea----The vw group that rides these buses all over the place are not a tight knit bunch just because they own buses- but more because they can change a clutch at a rest stop in an hour have lunch take pics grab a nap and get 20 mpg.

Owning a bus is like going to to tech school with just a book and a "shout out" telephone. Rolling Eyes

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how you're getting those numbers on your meter, I don't think a battery is chemically capable of generating that voltage.

Your alternator is shot. I doubt it's the voltage regulator which is one of only two things you can easily replace on it. I agree with the guy posting above - it's probably your rectifier diode assembly; has at least one electrically "open" diode. Parts are not available for it outside of cannibalizing another alternator!

Get a different volt meter and check
A) voltage at the battery posts
B) voltage at D+ with key on (use the alternator case as ground)
C) voltage at B+ with engine running idle
D) voltage at B+ with engine at least 1500 rpm

This is what you want:

A) 12.8 volts for a fully charged battery
B) about 12.5 volts is normal
C) 14-14.8 volts for a working alternator
D) the same only it will be at the high end of 14 volts
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

16 volts then 17 says it's charging now! Just check your meter it could be reading 3 volts too high. Check it on another car and see if you get the same high readings! If not, if your voltmeter reads 12.6-8 to 14-15 volts which is normal for most charging systems, Some Japanese cars read a little higher. Then your going to need to replace the Voltage Regulator assembly on your alternator if it is possible. Also a sulfated battery will over charge like that too. It could also be a badly corroded ground strap or battery cable connection somewhere on your car.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VDubTech wrote:
How many shitty chinese parts can you stick on one engine?

Hahahaha, you crack me up VDubtech.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MajikFungi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scrivyscriv wrote:
Not sure how you're getting those numbers on your meter, I don't think a battery is chemically capable of generating that voltage.

Your alternator is shot. I doubt it's the voltage regulator which is one of only two things you can easily replace on it. I agree with the guy posting above - it's probably your rectifier diode assembly; has at least one electrically "open" diode. Parts are not available for it outside of cannibalizing another alternator!

Get a different volt meter and check
A) voltage at the battery posts
B) voltage at D+ with key on (use the alternator case as ground)
C) voltage at B+ with engine running idle
D) voltage at B+ with engine at least 1500 rpm

This is what you want:

A) 12.8 volts for a fully charged battery
B) about 12.5 volts is normal
C) 14-14.8 volts for a working alternator
D) the same only it will be at the high end of 14 volts

Yep, I need a new meter..
I have installed another cheap alternator.. Crying or Very sad
Its all I could afford at the moment... $140AU for another Chinese knock off..

Dash lights working, however the Gen light sometimes has a faint glow I can only see at night so im hoping its just the backlights in the instrument cluster shining through.. but it doesnt happen to the oil light so I guess its not perfect..

And the Gen light coms on and off when I use the indicators. Or if my stereo is on..

I have checked the belt.. not much play.. All connections are good in the engine bay.. Battery was fully charged up before install.

I will have to look up under the dash..
MajikFungi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
VDubTech wrote:

Laugh it up dude...

I wish you safe and happy motoring..

1 day I will be Financially secure, and be able to always afford top quality parts. I will also have VW repair knowledge which could be passed on to other enthusiasts in need....

Instead of posting negative comments like VDubtech I will try and provide advice to help people..
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MajikFungi wrote:
aeromech wrote:
VDubTech wrote:

Laugh it up dude...

I wish you safe and happy motoring..

1 day I will be Financially secure, and be able to always afford top quality parts. I will also have VW repair knowledge which could be passed on to other enthusiasts in need....

Instead of posting negative comments like VDubtech I will try and provide advice to help people..

Although VDubtech's comment may seem unconstructive to you it is helpful to others who may be reading this thread now or in the future, if it prevents even one person who is considering drinking the RMMW/CIP Khrome Koolaid it's done it's job.

As for the financial situation we've all been there, but unless you found those parts in a trash bin somewhere for free you must have at one time put the bling at the top of your financial priority list. You mentioned earlier you removed the black tin, why didn't you recycle that?, all it would have cost would have been some sand paper, elbow grease and a rattle can. It's water under the bridge now and I know it was a good idea at the time, there's ways to manage a reliable bus on a budget, you are starting to learn that and VDubtech is helping you in his blunt and to the point way. Wink

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new guys read the VW magazines and look through the catalogs of parts. What do they mostly see? Mostly they see cheap low quality parts made in China that don't fit right and aren't engineered to work well, just be similar in appearance to the German stuff. These parts are manufactured and sold to maximize profit with very little regard to quality. The chrome on the following is terrible and won't last very long:

Hub caps
door handles
engine tin

As far as aftermarket fan shrouds go they look great to the newbie on the outside who never considers what's supposed to be happening with the very important airflow on the inside.

As far as alternators go if a person is considering the cheap Chinese chromed up ones he first needs to ask himself how many times he wants to redo the job (like the OP is) and is it better to go the extra distance and locate a quality built alternator instead and only do the job once. No reason why a good alternator won't last 10-15 years.

Cheap door rubber will cause the front doors to not close all the way without slamming them very hard. I bought a cheap shift coupler once and had to do about an hours worth of modification just to get it installed. Recently I paid $20 for an aluminum timing scale from Bus Depot for a T4 and the two holes for the mount bolts had to be redrilled for the 6mm screws that hold it in place. I've had rear brake drums for a 1967 splitty where the drums which were brand new out of the box wouldn't slide onto the splined axle.

The list goes on and on. So instead of jumping on Vdubtech who actually knows his shit. You new guys should take heed and listen to some of us with decades of experience making mistakes ourselves and learning from those.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
Jody '71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fungi,
A lot of the replies you've received here come from folks that really know their vintage VW stuff. Then there are those that read topics, shake their heads and don't bother to add input because the original poster of topics uses this forum to ask for help for problematic issues that can easily be solved by reading the "Stickys," or viewing wiring diagrams, previous similar topics in the Forum, gallery photos and having the correct manuals in their possession inclusive of the owner's manual. Wiring diagrams and owner's manuals are available here.
So now you've got the same Chinese knock-off alternator brand new and you've got electrical issues up in the dash. A 75amp unit like that if wired correctly and all's cool with the wiring under the dash should not be creating the light show your seeing after this new replacement. Print out the wiring diagram for '70 Bus and get up under your dash and sort things out.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: