Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wild Westerner Club
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 80, 81, 82 ... 167, 168, 169  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chazz79 wrote:

It's the wild westerner paint scheme! I keep telling people it attracts people and bugs. I can't park the sucker anywhere without finding people, or a gang load of bugs crawling on it when I get back.

The paint is hypnotic.

The problem with the "people" is they're usually high school girls and it always gives me the willies like Chris Mathews is going to jump out of somewhere. They always want a tour and I gladly oblige Smile but when you cut to the basics of it... Cool van or no, girls just hop into a "creepy old guys" van. My bus has way more game than me.

Are any of the girls older than high school/college?

Cause if so, I have more incentive to get mine running! (And maybe I can get my parents to donate to the cause, ha ha!)

Also, this is good reason to NOT let my foster son drive it! Yikes.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, these are usually barely driving age girls.

Just as I'm saying "sure, go ahead have a look around" I'm thinking this is how most scary movies start.

The only times it's not jailbait my wife is usually around and she finds something sharp in her purse to stab me with. Coulda been the comment I made last time about wishing I had my bus back when I was lady shopping. "I could've scored me quite an upgrade based on the butts I've seen parked on the monsters bumper." Me lady lacks a sense of humor these days.

The green monster in bits and peices: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=332556&highlight=green+monster
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone installed a non-factory interior?

Mine is pretty shot, so I've been starting to look at things like seat covers and such.

So, if anyone has a non-stock basketweave seat covers (tweed, velour, etc) could you please post up a pic or two!

I would likely go with black, as the door cards are still useable and I don't want to replace the whole thing.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chazz79 wrote:
Nah, these are usually barely driving age girls.

Just as I'm saying "sure, go ahead have a look around" I'm thinking this is how most scary movies start.

The only times it's not jailbait my wife is usually around and she finds something sharp in her purse to stab me with. Coulda been the comment I made last time about wishing I had my bus back when I was lady shopping. "I could've scored me quite an upgrade based on the butts I've seen parked on the monsters bumper." Me lady lacks a sense of humor these days.

Ha ha ha, too bad for me, and too bad for my kid!

Oh well. I was getting hopeful that I could try a new tactic for meeting women-folk--driving the WW!

I suppose it can't hurt. Once it is up and running, it'll likely be better than my rear-ended Golf I drive now!

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Bill Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The front seats on our buses i had recovered with a black non perforated material.

However the rear bench i found in a 79 (tan in color).

The product i used to spray the rear seat and interior panels was Dupli-Color Vinyl & Fabric . In my opinion it works great dries fast, flexes with seat and does not rub off onto clothing etc.

It is sold on the East Coast at O'Riellys Auto parts.

2002 Snap Orange Turbo Beetle (Daughter)
1973 Wild Westerner (Son) Vin #2232203230... Production Date Monday May 14, 1973 *** Destination Portland, Or.

Card Carrying Member of the International Wild Westerner Club
America (65) - Austria (1) -Canada (1)- Denmark (1) - France (1)- Germany (5) - Mexico (4) - The Netherlands (2) Portugal (1) - United Kingdom (3)
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking maybe black tweed or velour might be nice, for not being so hot/sweaty but still have a somewhat factoryish appearance. However, the dog's (Great Dane) hair sticks to the velour in my Golf and is a pain to clean. (Yes, my Great Dane sometimes rides in my Golf.)

The vinyl would wipe right off.

Can anyone comment on the durability of new vinyl seats vs large dog's feet?

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Westy blue/green in my bus with a boxer that sheds like mad. If I take her along I just pull a Mexican blanket from under the seat and cover the couch with it. I don't have to worry about claws or cleaning up after her. Just shake the mess out every now and then.

The green monster in bits and peices: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=332556&highlight=green+monster
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chazz79 wrote:
I have Westy blue/green in my bus with a boxer that sheds like mad. If I take her along I just pull a Mexican blanket from under the seat and cover the couch with it. I don't have to worry about claws or cleaning up after her. Just shake the mess out every now and then.

Good point with the blanket. I do cover things in the Golf, and I have a seat cover that goes over the back seat. But Caesar is so big that if he moves around, he can touch parts of each seat, and if he stands up on the back seat, he rubs the ceiling! So I have to cover the back seat, along with the backs of the front seats, and along each door. I haven't figured out a way to cover the ceiling with a sheet! ha ha

Rubbing fur onto the headliner of the WW would likely be less of an issue than the Golf, so maybe throwing some blankets down when he goes for a ride would be sufficient.

Here he is in my '78:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chop, Chop - what a let down. Are none of you actively restoring a WW? Is this thread doomed to hearsay about Bills endeavor to find the bottom of a bourbon bottle alone? Will Sunnydog ever make it to Seattle? Can we prove that Riviera had an alternative agenda for making the Wild Westerner? These and more important questions not yet asked need to be answered! If a train leaves Boston.... well lets just see if any of you have any "real" active pertinent WW info to share - like a ongoing resto first Rolling Eyes

Laughing

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Chop, Chop - what a let down. Are none of you actively restoring a WW? Is this thread doomed to hearsay about Bills endeavor to find the bottom of a bourbon bottle alone? Will Sunnydog ever make it to Seattle? Can we prove that Riviera had an alternative agenda for making the Wild Westerner? These and more important questions not yet asked need to be answered! If a train leaves Boston.... well lets just see if any of you have any "real" active pertinent WW info to share - like a ongoing resto first Rolling Eyes

Laughing

This thread is for general WW discussion. Just like at a club meeting, it goes off tracks at times. But the majority of the recent stuff has been about restoration, IE my seats!

I have a thread just for my WW, in which I mention that I just made a deal to buy an aircooled Vanagon engine and trans. The price is roughly the same as the 091 trannys bring, so I figure it is a good deal and will get me much closer to getting mine driving much more quickly.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I know - Im part to blame when it comes to the off track part Wink

Just trying to shake things up a bit. Nice job on the restorations - what bits there are Applause

Just looking to shake Bill from his rocker hes sleeping in on his front porch Wink

Laughing

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sunnydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am noticing that several restorations and sales have gone mostly unreported. People ARE turning these beasts over, but keeping quiet about it here. Want to start one of those conversations? Twisted Evil Laughing

And the "will sunnydog ever make it to Seattle?" meme is in a different thread entirely! You Seattle guys deciding that Wednesday is good does not make it easy... Crying or Very sad

All in good fun! Very Happy
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell me what day you can be here brother. Ill be there Wink

Laughing

We will make it a Sunny day.......... rdrr.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Nils888
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:45 pm    Post subject: New owner Reply with quote

Hi Everyone
I just purchased this WW Bus. Looking forward to this project. Very Happy

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1571536
Collie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AWESOME!!!
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, holy shiz that's a real beaut!!! Congrats man, wow
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sunnydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job Nils888! Take that one to the next level! What are your plans for it?
That WW is already in the list -- this is one of those turnovers I was talking about a few posts back.
Bill Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So tell where the aluminum tag is located that has the serial number...
It doesn't look to be a M-Code tag....
If it is an M-code tag why is it different?

In the News you can use Department !!!

When doing a make-over on your Wild Westerner definitely use an epoxy primer.
On the first WW I epoxy primed the top with no issues, buttttttt the bottom i used spray can primer and now i have rust breaking thru the nice oak tree yard painted bottom.

So now i must do some repairs....
Did i mention notchboy has taught me everything know about nothin...
I mean drinking and handling women..
To talk about the female appeal to the Wild Westerner and Owners that just adds to the frenzy of wanting to own a Wild Westerner Very Happy

Some can Attract Ladies with money....
Some with bullshit of having money...
Some with a guitar and a Wild Westerner (just ask Colin)...

Case in point...
I do not know chit about playing a guitar...
About six weeks ago i loaded a grille and my sons guitar in my WW and stopped by he meat locker plant and bought 10lbs of mild country sausage and headed to the beach. I stopped at a few places along the way and spread i was going to cook and play a little music on the beach.
Well the a crowd gathered and i put my Old leather hat on and grabbed the guitar and plucked a string and people started getting excited.
A free live show... well i never attempted to play or it would blow my cover butt it fun leading from behind... Let me repeat LEADING FROM BE HIND !!!
Well its five o'clock somewhere...
Y'all Have a great Evening !!!
And yes Jim Beam Was present..
It felt like fb maulitiplating the masses..

1973 Wild Westerner (Son) Vin #2232203230... Production Date Monday May 14, 1973 *** Destination Portland, Or.

America (65) - Austria (1) -Canada (1)- Denmark (1) - France (1)- Germany (5) - Mexico (4) - The Netherlands (2) Portugal (1) - United Kingdom (3)
Nils888
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/medium/1249111.jpg
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/medium/1249110.jpg
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/medium/1249109.jpg
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/medium/1249108.jpg

I am doing a Porsche six cylinder engine and transmission conversion.

Debating on a 993 turbo or 997 turbo. I am going to do a full suspension and brake change over to Porsche stuff to.

You guys are probably going to hate me. But I might be changing colors of
the bus.

The mileage on the bus could be original after look at the condition of the bus.

Last edited by Nils888 on Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Bill Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What in the hell !!!

Why would you to take a Special Edition VW Bus that has a Mysterious Origin and knowingly change the only thing that makes it special ?

Has the earthquake rattled you a little...

If you are hell bent on a different color let me buy you another average bus and trade !!!

My mind Explodes !!

I admit you got me !!!
You are just mucking with us !!!

Last edited by Bill Sullivan on Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 80, 81, 82 ... 167, 168, 169  Next
Jump to:
Page 81 of 169

Jump to: