Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shock extenders
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoshG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject: Shock extenders Reply with quote

I would very much like to run Koni shocks with Go Westy Zero lift springs. However, as I understand it, the Konis are basically too short and will top out over large bumps when fully extended.

I seem to recall some discussion awhile back about the availability of extenders (not sure that is the technically correct way to describe them but that seems to capture what they do).

Does anyone know if these are commercially available?

Does anyone (gulp) have an opinion as to whether this is a safe?
ShootingFish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will tell you now that the GW Zero Lift Spring will lift your van. I went up about 1" in ride height when we did all of the work this spring. They ride great, but the van certainly sits higher than it was before.

I went with the new Bilstien HD Sport shocks on our Full Westy and I am very pleased.

Props aren't just for boats....

'88 2WD ALH-TDI Westy Red Vanagon
'90 Syncro 16 Doka Yellow Vanagon
JoshG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShootingFish wrote:
I will tell you now that the GW Zero Lift Spring will lift your van. I went up about 1" in ride height when we did all of the work this spring. They ride great, but the van certainly sits higher than it was before.

I went with the new Bilstien HD Sport shocks on our Full Westy and I am very pleased.

Good to hear!

I may end up going that route if there is no way use Konis.
rcook52459
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my sits high and standard shocks topped out over bumps.put mr. gaskets shock extenders on,then they bottom over bumps.had to rethread them to metric which was no big deal.they were tight on the shocks.here's what I did put 1979 ford f-150 shocks on the front.had to pur 3/4in spacers on each side of bottom of shock.they are 2in longer and work great.then for the rear I used chev astro van shocks straight bolt on.they are 2in longer to.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: