Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Want to ferry Westy to Nova Scotia / info/tips
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
snowsyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just learned there is a van gathering in Grand Narrows, Cape Breton, on the weekend of August 16th. I have only one experience in camping at provincial parks. That was this weekend at Graves Island Park. Beautiful park. It was full, but likely because we had 32 VW vans there.

RonC
the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still planning on going but havin trouble with what to do with the tea cup chihuahua ? Can't put in the kennel( didn't reserve well in advance)

How tights security she loves to travel incognito ( wife's large hand bag)

Planned on getting a cheap cabin both ways

Also is there a van gathering somewhere in NS the weekend of 16th
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
snowsyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the joker wrote:

Also is there a van gathering somewhere in NS the weekend of 16th

Haha…look up…look way up

snowsyncro wrote:
I just learned there is a van gathering in Grand Narrows, Cape Breton, on the weekend of August 16th. I have only one experience in camping at provincial parks. That was this weekend at Graves Island Park. Beautiful park. It was full, but likely because we had 32 VW vans there.

RonC

RonC
the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Booked it

Should be in the area after the 14th will be looking for westys

Will my tom tom gps work in NS
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject: gps Reply with quote

Tom toms will not work as satellites do not fly over this part of the world!

Smile

We dont exist.

Best off to pick up an antique map at the local Information Centre. They have lines on them representing the cart paths we drive on. hehe

B

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day. Calvin and Hobbes.
Windig89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got back from Portland yesterday, the Novastar was great. Staff is really chill and super friendly. Despite the written policy we brought a small cooler on board with some drinks and goodies, no questions asked. We went directly from the vehicle to the room with whatever we wanted. You could easily sneak on a tiny purse dog and leave him in the room. Besides the$ I would recommend the ship. The food onboard is really$ so bring your own snacks and eat before you leave. The only real meal you need to get onboard is lunch on the Yarmouth-Portland leg. We got the 17$ buffet, it was worth it.

Let me know if you have any specific questions I can probably answer. Another tip, don't show up and pass security to early unless you like hanging out in a parking lot. There is zero benefit, you will not get on earlier or get off sooner (first inline for customs), there is no logic to the loading and unloading procedures! Best to park in the ferry terminal lot (not the loading lot past security), then show up at the last min after enjoying a meal downtown Portland, you can walk into town from the terminal:)

Cheers,

Jason
the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Headed to Nova Scotia
Will be looking for vw's

I'm a white 84 with RI tags
bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:46 pm    Post subject: Joker Reply with quote

I will alert Batman!

Smile

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day. Calvin and Hobbes.
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really enjoyed my trip of discovery. Just gotta tell this to someone as I'm still laughing. Was telling someone from NB about camping for 2 days/nights on a clam digging Bay of Fundy beach-just above the high tide mark. That B of F tidal happenings is really fascinating.

Back to funny story. We were talking about mosquitos and this New Brunswickian said there were no mosquitos near the oceans as they didn't like salt water.! Well I think that was one of the funniest things I had heard down east. The little b*ggrs are the size of small birds almost and man do they bite! So if anyone tells you mosquitos don't hang around salt water, walk away, directly away.

Do for sure get to a beach in the Bay of Fundy to experience the miles and miles of tidal basins. I got to observe and learn about clam digging, seaweed harvesting and kelp harvesting. Also using the old coastal roads (some are merely llanes) you can come across an old but current colorful fishing village unexpectedly. Nova Scotians on the coasts like bright colored homes.!

And I did it! Allways wanted to go to Shediac and get a lobster. Well I did and I took it to a park bench with my vice grips, hammer and fork tines. A huge lobster and soooooo goooood. Someone told me later that the best tool for eating lobsters is a pair of scissors.. definitely not vice grips mmmmmmmmmmm remember the taste!P.S. the lobster only cost $17.00. In a restaurant in Toronto if you could get one that size it would cost $50. plus.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Joker Reply with quote

bjrogers86auto wrote:
I will alert Batman!

Smile

Batman lives in Nova Scotia? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

DAIZEE wrote:
Someone told me later that the best tool for eating lobsters is a pair of scissors.. .

I'll send you the correct instrament!! so Toronto Lobstah tastes better!!
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:20 pm    Post subject: Joker Reply with quote

I just figured if the "Joker" is on his way someone oughta send out the Bat Signal! Just doing my part! Smile

Hey Daizee, you can paddle out to any island around the province and still get eaten by Mosquitos! It takes a little puddle for them to breed! You can escape the black flies in the spring out there though...

We were in PEI last week and the bugs are even friendlier there!

B

the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got back Cool

Nova Scotia awesome Cool

Westy ran perfect not and issue Cool

Nova star a must do , easy , but $$$$, you only live once.
( my son and I went up to the bridge , just us and the Captain for 1/2 hr Cool

Have to go back, tooooo much to see missed the interior national park
Need a to explore the Misa Fundy / Yarmouth

Saw 12 westys missed meat cove pouring rain fog general nasty for two days Confused
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are four of us baywindows leaving Meat Cove.....that is a serious hill.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bummin about Meat Cove , just couldn't risk getting stuck ( 2 wd )
Plus the NS weather Confused Wouldn't been worth it ( view
Cruised the East coast Cabot Trail Sky line hike cap split waterfall ( rain days)
Louisberg Forts ( history cannons etc)
P Parks
NS is endless memoirs
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope the "tea cup" enjoyed it's ferry ride! No way Toronto Lobster tastes better, there is no such thing. All our seafood has to be flown in daily to get anything close to 'fresh'.

Nova Scotia getting lots of TV commercials on buying a cottage/home on your great big lake!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:55 pm    Post subject: joker Reply with quote

Glad you enjoyed the trip! Our weather has been sketchy at best since you headed our way. It's been more like early July than August. We may have seen you on the Canso Causeway on Saturday the 16th. We were heading back towards Halifax.

The road to Meat Cove is a really good gravel road. No issues with 2wd. It's hilly and twisty but a good road. It wouldn't be a spot I would want to hang out in crappy weather. Pretty much entirely exposed.

Sadly school is coming fast and our camping season to an end. Hope to get out a couple more times before the dreaded "winter storage" day arrives!

Brian

the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My have been us on the Canso causeway

Meet a westy couple at the Canadian petrol/ puffin shop area

Like I said before too much to see not enough time

We have to come back

And the teacup chihuahua had a ball , she was good as gold the whole trip, she hike all the way to cape split and back only had to carry her 3 times

All the local short ferries where a blast

We will be back lots of NS hope the Nova Star stays a float$$$$
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: