Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replacing the front clip on my bug?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kermatt wrote:
Ok, so I have a question pertaining to this...

I'm a welder and fabricator by trade, although tbh, I don't have a ton of body exp...im building a 70 gtv rat, with some fancy stuff, a reverse opening hood, some grafted louvers, plus...

So here's my question; My front driver quarter is pretty bad off. Someone tried to straiten it at some point and made a mess. I don't want to deal with it because I would like to get the car bare metal/clear eventually. So I want to replace it. I would like to cheat and cut the quarter out right in front of the door seam, down to the heater channel area(there's some rust there too), separate it only from the cab and upper seam, and chop the fender line.

I have a strait donor quarter. In my case, since its a rat and im bobbing so much metal away, i figure with some accurate cuts and using the hood as guide, i should be able to get it damn close?

If someone follows what im saying, i would love some input. Keep in mind, im running no fenders and cutting everything from the fender line down and fwd of the master cyl area off except the hood-which on making reverse open...

Pix soon=D

This help ?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Atx67beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

56 Cabrio, thanks for posting that info! Very helpful. Can I ask where it came from? I've been seeing a lot of references to the "Bentley" book, I'm planning on picking one up soon.

I have some body damage to fix on the front of my beetle.

And I want to avoid using body filler like the PO. Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall d'oh! d'oh! Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall

Has anyone used the side panel front portion replacements from Wolfsburg West? Or of any of their other front end sheet metal?

Or would I be better off finding metal from a donor?
Atx67beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject: WW replacement panels Reply with quote

I ended up using the panels from WW. I'm happy with how it turned out. Here are a few pics:

I cut the old metal out, left about an extra inch of metal.

I tacked the new quarter sections to the apron. I ended up popping off the driver side panel before install, if I had it to do again I would have left them separate.

Next, I trimmed down the existing quarter panels to get a good butt fit and test fit the fenders to make sure that every thing lined up properly.

I used some butt weld clamps from harbor freight ($7.99 for an 8 pack). They aren't the highest quality, but for a guy workin in his home garage they do the trick. If you have a helper they might not be necessary but I was working solo.

On the drivers side, I had to cut off more of the existing panel than the replacement. I made a small sheet metal patch to fill the gap.

This is the seam (after I hit it with the grinder) on the passenger side. I was really nervous about this as I am new to welding, and working with a flux core wire welder. All in all, I'm happy with the results.

This is the (somewhat) finished product.

sfcmtz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you burn any holes in the metal with your wire feed welder? is that the harbor freight 110v?
dubjeep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks really good!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: