Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Body colour Wing beading?
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwsplitvan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:33 am    Post subject: Body colour Wing beading? Reply with quote

The wing/fender beading on my square is old and brittle.

Anyone know a supplier that sells it in the correct colour for the car? The car is Elm Green L60 so beading is green. Just looks better that black beading.

Or someone that has some NOS stock in good order Wink
SBS #20 UK

RHD 62 Ragtop Beetle Beryl Green
LHD 69 Squareback Peru Green
LHD 63 Splitscreen Highroof Pearl White
Yabbadubbadoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short answer is no. Long answer is Type 3 detectives had some a while back. Nos gets uncovered from time to time but seems to vanish just as quickly as it appeared. It's like waiting for your numbers to drop in the lottery.
What I'll be doing is getting some reproduction black molds or even better, if you can find them use white coloured molds and fitting those for a while. Once I feel they have taken the shape I'll remove them without straightening them too much, clean, Brillo and prep and then paint with a custom colored vinyl paint if I can find that. The white rubber is a better base colour for light pastel colored paint. The paint needs to be as flexible as possible and have the adhesion promoters that allow it to stick to the rubber or plastic. Will obviously test first. If I can't get specific vinyl paint I know heat setting acrylic polycarbonate hobby paint will work but I'm not sure how UV stable it is. I have an airbrush so it would be easy enough to spray some thin coats on the beading. I've tested this method of painting by spraying a vinyl bike seat and also a rubber matt with hobby acrylic polycarbonate paint and then heat set it with a hair dryer. I've read this needs to be done to make it stick better. Of course this means I would have to mix the colour myself. That's not ideal but not impossible.
If you chose to paint them remember do not try to cover it with one coat. Ultra thin coats in two or more passes is the best way to ensure a thin and flexible paint finish.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I searched for about three years before a set of Clementine beading came up. Turns out it was a mixture, not a complete set, but ISPWest was able to clean and join the sections to make up a complete set.

I consider myself extremely lucky to have found this. The alternative is black beading, which does not look out of place, since there is so much black rubber on all the other trim.

Painted beading always has a risk of cracking, but some have had good success adding flex agents to the regular paint. I don't remember the magic ingredients but a search for "beading AND paint" should flush them out.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we painted my wife's car back in 1991, I just used black bugpack beading on it. Fast forward to 2008, when the car got a paint tune up, and at that time, the black beading had dried out some (lost some of it's top layer of oils), and I scuffed it and shot it body color with it still on the car. So far it's holding up very well, and is now 6 years old (paint on the beading). I didn't use any flex additive either, as the paint supplier told me that it only stays flexible for 30 days. Shocked

But the short answer is no, no beading in colors being offered new. Search e-bay (both UK and europe), along with the classifieds, to see IF you can find some NOS beading.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch out when buying beading from a certain vendor here.

There is a guy who always posts colored beading,
and,
Make sure you check feedback on the 'buyer and seller' forum before you get taken.

You will notice he has had the same ad up for years.

For a reason...

What’s That Noise?!?
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out this thread

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=415848&highlight=beading+trading

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vlad01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T3HQ has various color beading all the time, worth checking out.

NOS Black for late models seems to be the hardest to find in my searches.

71 Aussie notchback, the money pit
92 VP vacationer, old faithful never die
95 VR executive, Restored beyond factory
92 VP S Pack, bought it new old
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, Mario posted a picture of a bunch of colored fender beading today on Facebook. Says he has to go through it all, look for it in the classifieds or on FB soon
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vlad01 wrote:
NOS Black for late models seems to be the hardest to find in my searches.

Really?
http://www.vwispwest.com/361898715A.html
Ok, it's not NOS, but it's new and the correct profile.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: