Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wiper motor
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Wiper motor Reply with quote

My wipers weren"t working very well, and after taking the motor off, it looks like the splines on the shaft are shot. Is it possible to rebuild and just replace the shaft? Does anyone have any drawings, or steps to do this? Is this a procedure the the average owner can do?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: wiper motor Reply with quote

I am answering my own post, talked to Kubelmann in Co., and decided to let him have his way, and rebuild completely. Also ordered a bunch of parts that I needed but kept putting off.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That really is the best plan. The stiff 40-year-old grease and tarnished electrical contacts will make the motor run hotter and the parts wear faster. Rebuilding the motor isn't brain surgery, but it's not exactly easy either. It's a worthwhile investment to have it properly rebuilt.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: wiper motor Reply with quote

Talked with Kubelmann on the phone about it first, he is a hell of a salesman, because basically I am a cheapskate and proud of it. If your reading this Kubelmann it went out today, and you will see it soon.
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Money well spent doesn't take away your cheapskatedness or whatever the heck word I'm trying to invent. Embarassed
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seemed like the best thread to piggyback with what is a basic question and after seeing some impressive but way-over-my-head technical threads.

Is there a way of knowing if the wiper motor has gone kablooey or if the problem is in the switch (stalk) or elsewhere?

From Day One of my ownership, the slow and fast speeds were the same speed -- and I'm guessing slow using my memory of my '71 as a template. Today, it worked some of the time and didn't work some of the time. It no longer returns to its proper resting spot when turned off. The last time the rain returned, I couldn't get it to go on at all in any position.

When I parked Thing, I tried to manually return it to its proper resting position, and it started working fine again in the high speed position, but I had to manually time it to turn it off. Motor, stalk, something else, me?
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The park feature of the wiper is all about the motor. There's a cam and contacts that make and break depending on the arc.

If the motor moves, them you can assume the winding and power circuits are good. Speed of the motor is really dragged down by the grease viscosity and or wiper bearing shafts.

The following is a diagram I made to demonstrate each mode of operation. Some people have found it helpful.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If you want to simply test the wiper motor then place a ground on terminal 31 and a positive 12DC on Terminal 53 (low speed) or 53b (Fast Speed).

The parking circuit is a bit more tricky
wbrown45
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Semper_Dad wrote:
The park feature of the wiper is all about the motor. There's a cam and contacts that make and break depending on the arc.

If the motor moves, them you can assume the winding and power circuits are good. Speed of the motor is really dragged down by the grease viscosity and or wiper bearing shafts.

The following is a diagram I made to demonstrate each mode of operation. Some people have found it helpful.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If you want to simply test the wiper motor then place a ground on terminal 31 and a positive 12DC on Terminal 53 (low speed) or 53b (Fast Speed).

The parking circuit is a bit more tricky

Thanks Semper! That's a great diagram.
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Semper_Dad. With two features -- returning to the park position and operating on both on positions -- breaking down or working intermittently at the same time made me guess it might be the motor. It's time to research its replacement.
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oasis wrote:
... It's time to research its replacement.

$$$$$$$ Shocked Be prepared when ya see prices on replacements...
I have a friend that has worked in the electric motor industry for years... I'll be taking my motor to him for freshening/rebuilding....

Not sure how urgent your need is(this isn't your DD), I can report back when I get mine done, and share my experience....

Mine functions the same speed for either position, and Does park itself... Probably just Need a good cleanup and re brush...???
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: wiper motor Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Talked with Kubelmann on the phone about it first, he is a hell of a salesman, because basically I am a cheapskate and proud of it. If your reading this Kubelmann it went out today, and you will see it soon.

It's been a while, can you share your experience with this rebuild?
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GI Joe wrote:
Not sure how urgent your need is(this isn't your DD), I can report back when I get mine done, and share my experience....

Not urgent at all.

It will be my DD for the next three days as I cross swords with the once-reliable dealership over Eos and Tiggy gets an oil change at our always-reliable shop, but it looks like sunny skies and clear nights ahead.

We're not taking Thing on our vacation this year as hoped, and I have much to do with Thing when we get back. So, I can take care of this in a few weeks or wait until next spring. If I get pressed, I'll give the windscreen a dose of Rain-X.

Thanks!
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oasis wrote:
If I get pressed, I'll give the windscreen a dose of Rain-X.

Thanks!

I wish I could find a 30gal barrel of that stuff.... I Love it!! Very Happy
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got pressed after all. The morning dew left condensation. I wiped it down as best as I could. The defroster worked ... eventually ... about half way to the train station. I got the wipers to work initially, then they didn't, then they did. I left them on until I was sure I didn't need them again. Very annoying. Rain-X is on my shopping list sooner than expected.
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sound obvious but use the rain-x on BOTH sides.
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we off-road down in Mexico we coat all sides of anything glass with the RainX WeatherBeater It is the two parts glass cleaner and water repellant/sealant. Once you clean and coat all glass, when the glass gets fogged, it quickly dries clear (if nobody touches the glass) I also am not able to get enough of this stuff coating/protecting my auto glass... As many of you know, I rebuild wiper motors and the best thing you can do for the wiper system is to coat the windshield with RainX so as to limit friction and make your wiper motor’s work possible... As with many Things on the VW, each component is just powerful enough to do its work with nothing to spare... It is a Zen like balance of economy and efficiency. Like Einstein said, “Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler..."
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't there a Rain-X for inside and outside? (Yeah, I know ... search Rolling Eyes ) I'm at work now on a little break. I'll search later but I thought when I last used Rain-X -- maybe five years ago when I first purchased Eos -- there was a yellow container I always had used for the outside, and a black container I hadn't seen before that was marked for the inside.

Obvious or not, I had never done the inside. I will look into it when I get back from vacation (or maybe while I'm on vacation) as I did like the stuff as well. I can't think of why I stopped getting it. Confused

At some point, I will probably get a wiper motor; then have the one that's currently installed rebuilt as a spare.

Thanks for the tips and reminders. Don't assume anything is too obvious with me. Cool
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was an interior "anti-fog" stuff..... Haven't seen it for many years, stopped looking actually... when I had used it wasn't impressed....
It was in a black bottle....
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The small squeeze bottle we use is yellow
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GI Joe wrote:
There was an interior "anti-fog" stuff..... Haven't seen it for many years, stopped looking actually... when I had used it wasn't impressed....
It was in a black bottle....

kubelmann wrote:
The small squeeze bottle we use is yellow

Yup, this is how I remembered it. I never used the anti-fog stuff. I'll look for the yellow squeeze bottle, and will do both sides of each glass (except the interior side of the sunroof on Eos & Golf) on all vehicles -- Thing especially, but not on the curtains.

I'll sort out what I want to do with the wiper motor later. Much to do first.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: