Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Simple windshield question.
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZwitterND
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject: Simple windshield question. Reply with quote

I am restoring a 1970 Lido fiberglass dune buggy. The windshield was installed with the slotted / groove in the aluminum frame facing the rear. Today at a car show I saw one with the slot / groove facing toward the front. Which is correct or is it personal preference?
bruces
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Front so you can attach a top to it properly
ZwitterND
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for reply. I assume the top has a flat bar that slides into the slot. Is the top then held in place by tension when snapped in the rear?
bruces
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes ,the top basically rolls over the front edge of the windshield frame ,and the hard plastic fits in the grove ,then I tension is kept on it by holding holding down the rear of the top ,just like older jeeps .
rmckay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many tops also have a snap on each side to help secure it to the windshield frame and keep it from popping out of the channel. But some opt for other options, like velcro, so they don't have to drill a hole in their windshield frame.

Here's a link on building a top. You can see the snap in the first photo.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=425410&highlight=bikini

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." --Abraham Lincoln
ace19608
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case I installed my windshield frame on backwards two nights ago??? I thought it looked strange with the groove to the front because was deeper to the glass than the smooth side, about 3/4 inch deeper. Not going to change it now as I am not using a top, unless anyone thinks it is going to cause a problem....
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only two problems I can foresee:

1. If later in life you decide to have a hard or soft top for respite from the sun, you will have to switch it around.

2. Answering "I know it is on backwards" at car shows or other times when buggy guys point it out to you.

On the plus side, I am guessing it will shed water a lot better over the top when you get caught in the rain.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joescoolcustoms wrote:
Only two problems I can foresee:

1. If later in life you decide to have a hard or soft top for respite from the sun, you will have to switch it around.

2. Answering "I know it is on backwards" at car shows or other times when buggy guys point it out to you.

On the plus side, I am guessing it will shed water a lot better over the top when you get caught in the rain.

Ditto...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
ace19608
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The story of my life.........
ChadCook
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I chose to mount mine backwards. I plan to mount a top eventually, with it backwards. Personally I don't like the appearance of the windshield mounted properly and the little bit of dash you gain with it backwards gives it more of a beetle like look. Also, the windshield flowed better with the shape of my hood better. I guess my point is, mount it however you like, as long as its straight. While its on backwards, enjoy not having to clean the bugs and crud from that little groove
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: