Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'57 Oval Diamond Green L412 paint source
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gettinby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: '57 Oval Diamond Green L412 paint source Reply with quote

Hello, I'm restoring a '57 Oval. Could anyone tell me where to get the L412 Diamond Green paint? Would prefer single stage enamel, but any will do. Local paint shops can't seem to find the mix codes. Thanks.
Kjell Roar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glasurit is original deliver for the color. I painted my car 21 years ago, it is still shiny without polishing.

My car, Aug. 4th, 1955 / an early 56: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=610438
*Darren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try TPCglobal.com they give some pricing IF you go to the old VW charts and then type in diamond green. $105/gallon or delstar $405/gall. Reducers anywhere from $14 to $60. hardeners #20 to $60 as well.

You could also try Matrix paints to see if there is a distributor in the area. I;m kind of surprised that nobody local can supply.

Good luck.
gettinby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Diamond Green paint. Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies and info. I was able to get it mixed in 1 stage acrylic enamel. The local shops didn't have records for pre-60 VW colors, so I took the front painted ashtray, they scanned it and came up with a mix. I only needed a pint to re-do the trunk area. However, it was noticably not right, so the senior master mixer played with the tints, and got it right. So, if you have a part scanned for existing paint match, especially if aged or faded, I'd recommend letting a sample dry, and compare final color before taking it home and trying it out on the car. The mixer was surprised it was so far off, since the computer match system was $15,000. Thanks again.
August_57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is an older post, but does anyone know the paint number color combinations for the wheels on the Diamond Green? It looks like a darker outer ring with a cream or white inner ring color? Thanks in advance for any help.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bill
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

August_57 wrote:
I know this is an older post, but does anyone know the paint number color combinations for the wheels on the Diamond Green? It looks like a darker outer ring with a cream or white inner ring color? Thanks in advance for any help.

Bill

I cant tell you 100% for sure, but I would say they are most likely
L244 Moss green. Here is what its supposed to look like.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
*Darren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, L211 bluish-green outer, L277 silver-beige inner. Good luck asking for L211, although you might want to check Glasurit's on-line catalog as they have been adding a lot to their formula base. If you can clear off a reasonable area - color matching is your best bet. [EDIT] the problem is it is an accent color, not a body color - people with coral red cars have run into the same issue asking for L74 rusty brown for their rims. Good luck.
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Darren wrote:
Nope, L211 bluish-green outer, L277 silver-beige inner. Good luck asking for L211, although you might want to check Glasurit's on-line catalog as they have been adding a lot to their formula base. If you can clear off a reasonable area - color matching is your best bet. [EDIT] the problem is it is an accent color, not a body color - people with coral red cars have run into the same issue asking for L74 rusty brown for their rims. Good luck.

Yep, Darren is correct. I did find this info that was posted a while back also.

IN2VWS wrote:
Diamond Green from 1st April 1956, Chassis No. 1-148 000

Wheels - L277 Silver Beige
Wheel rims - L211 Blueish green
Carpets - T106 Greyish Beige
Upholstery - Cloth = P131 Light beige or Leatherette K178 Green or Leatherette K171 Light Beige
Seat Beading - Ko25 Light beige
Kick protection leather - K176B Brown
Headling - H120 Light Beige
Armrest - Ks17 Brown (for Cloth), Ks23 Green (for Green leatherette), Ks11 Light beige (for light beige leatherette)
Assist strap - Ks19 Light beige

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
*Darren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a well documented Diamond Green ragtop with a few pictures of the rims. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=537466&highlight=

FWIW, eyeballing - don't look bluish-green to me.
August_57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Guys, thanks for the information and Darren thanks for the link to the OG Diamond Green Rag (that's a great model) I agree the color descriptions don't quite match what I'm seeing on the wheels of (Wheels - L277 Silver Beige
Wheel rims - L211 Blueish green), but sometimes they don't. I'll see if I can get some more of that Aqua paint off of the wheels for a color match. I'll also check with Glasurit's on-line catalog. Thanks for the help! Bill
Strato56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spies Hecker can match exactly...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blauchen L331
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stale Air's got it right.....

The color of the rims are DIFFERENT from the L412 Diamond Green Metallic.

Color is a Darker Medium Green, looks like a little yellow mixed in it?

Anyway, yes please DON'T paint your rims L412 that would be wrong. - ohh if it's a 57' Hubcap VW emblems are black, 56 models were body color L412.

Tom
USA RAM Protection/Export Overrider Bumpers - MPH Speedometer -
Sealed Beam Headlights and Bullet Front Turn Signals!
99.9% ORIGINAL PARTS WITH ONLY 36,500 ORIGINAL MILES/ GARAGE FIND/ UNRESTORED CAR
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
August_57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. Sounds like it is going to be best to match the color off the wheel since there aren't records of those two colors. Yeah, putting diamond green on the wheels would look horrible. I'll post pic's when I get it figured out. Also thanks for the info on the painted vw logo on the hub caps. I didn't know those details. One still has the faint black in it!
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not rely on the color charts in Garwood, Volume 1, for wheel rim colors. The 1986 (blue cover) printings are incorrect. They are corrected in the 1987 (white cover) and later printings, but still may not be 100 percent accurate.
*Darren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

janerick3 wrote:
Do not rely on the color charts in Garwood, Volume 1, for wheel rim colors. The 1986 (blue cover) printings are incorrect. They are corrected in the 1987 (white cover) and later printings, but still may not be 100 percent accurate.

The information supplied to the most recent inquiry has come from this posting (supplied by IN2VWS as noted by stale air) this is VW literature, so August 57 can rest assured the info supplied is correct
IN2VWS wrote:

Blauchen L331
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well as for my color on that chart L331 Horizon Blue everything's correctly noted, except the Seat Piping and the Headliner, both of which are light beige, not light blue and light grey......so there can always be some sort of discrepancy in what you see officially printed and what's real in a unrestored documented car.

Tom
USA RAM Protection/Export Overrider Bumpers - MPH Speedometer -
Sealed Beam Headlights and Bullet Front Turn Signals!
99.9% ORIGINAL PARTS WITH ONLY 36,500 ORIGINAL MILES/ GARAGE FIND/ UNRESTORED CAR
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
August_57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Darren. Thanks for the info!
*Darren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just trolling through the tech section & came upon these 2 photos in paint & upholstery under diamond green, just thought I'd post them up.

NorwayBeetleCartel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: '57 Oval Diamond Green L412 paint source Reply with quote

gettinby wrote:
Hello, I'm restoring a '57 Oval. Could anyone tell me where to get the L412 Diamond Green paint? Would prefer single stage enamel, but any will do. Local paint shops can't seem to find the mix codes. Thanks.

Think this is the paint mixture. If you show this to a painter, I guess he/she could say more about what these numbers represent.

instagram.com/mrskaug
WillNeverSlam.com/ Facebook community
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Classifieds Feedback
rdwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Horizon Blue '57 and tried to get the color mixed using Glasurit codes for the mixing colors but it still came out off. Even a Sun Gun couldn't determine the color correctly. In the end it had to be adjusted manually by eye by the paint rep to get the color right. The old mixing colors just don't work with the modern paints.

In response to someone saying the headliner should be beige, I disagree. The old original headliner looks beige but when I removed the old cloth that was in the clip areas away from sunlight and wear and tear, it still looked fresh and was a light grey in color.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: