Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Your 1st or most Heart Stopping Score?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bugmandave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

at our village garage sale this past summer I spotted a VW fender from a block away, went to check it out to find it was rotted out but there were two deck lids lying flat on the grass, both smeared with mud but one was a black w lid and the other was a coral 58 up lid. both marked $50 . I offered $60 for both and he took it. cleaned them up and sold the 58 for $60 so I had the w lid , original black paint, no rust or dents, for free.
EMPIFLAKE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive been lookin for these rocket wheels since 94 for a good price! picked em up for 5oo for all 5 wheels lugs studs and center caps included a couple years ago! They gotta be my favorite wheels!! I wouldent say its my best score but its my favorite...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
turkis-deluxe
Samba Security

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sacramento Bug-O-Rama a few years ago.
$10 for a vintage 1950's "Express" brand dual carb kit for 36hp motors. Didn't actually know what it was at the time but it eventually worked out in my favor!! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scottvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought 5 Deep 6's for $500 off the Samba early one Saturday morning about 5 years ago. The ad was not detailed on what they were, but I could tell by the picture that they were in fact deep 6's. I called the guy asap and paypaled the the funds and begged him to take the ad down.

This was the actual ad picture too.

restojohnny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've actually had alot of serious scores on the samba and cruising around town and perusing the local paper's but my favorite score was my EMPI ELIMINATOR shifter I scored on the samba years ago for $40.00 posted as a hurst shifter it was obvious to me and a few other's that it was NOT a hurst shifter but a real eliminator... That was and still is my favorite of my scores Cool even cooler is that I still have it and that's a miracle cuz I sell everything Laughing

53 LHD, LH cargo door standard kombi
54 Pre-A Porsche
55 oval ribbed door non-semiphore
56 semiphore ragtop
63 notchback (work in progress)
67 OG black paint beetle sedan empi accessorized
67 original Empi GTV beetle convertible !!
67 euro squareback
67 deluxe walkthru (work in progress)
67 convertible ghia (work in progress)

"STAY OUTTA MY BACKYARD !!! "
Yustrn
JHC Controla

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We find cool stuff every weekend.

www.facebook.com/trpbugtruck

Pulled a 58 Ghia out of a barn a few weekends ago..that was pretty fun!
tacochris
OG Paint Archeologist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of years back I scored a clean, one owner VWOA roof rack for 25 bucks at a garage sale.
Ive scored an original nearly impossible to find mobil pegasus bumper badge for free.
Ive gotten a complete set of original early ghia bumpers for 40 bucks from a kid who wanted to make a Volksrod...Lol
While wandering through a junkyard I spotted a set of amber foglights mounted to the front bumper of a 70's ford courier...walked over and dropped to my knees in front of what turned out to be original, early fluted Bosch lights. The owner told me I could have them, I gave him 20 bucks for his troubles. Cool

"Nothing will ever be as nice as original paint, no matter how much is or isnt left"

"Those that confuse hoodride with the OG paint movement definitely have their wires crossed. Its all about preservation, pulling out its true potential while hoodride is about purposely making something look like a piece of shit." -SKIM
justcruzin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that my first heart stopping score was finding my 70 Westfalia and the deal we made for it.

We found it in a Pick n Pull type yard. My hubby knew the guy that ran the yard and he traded a 64 4 door Impala ( which needed a lot of work) that he had about 40-50 bucks into it, for the bus and a Cushman type truck. So we got 2 for 1. LOL

I was pretty excited to find it with 99.9% of it intact. It had only been in the yard for 2 days. The only thing really wrong with it was the headliner had fallen down in the front. It did need a lot of cleaning and I had to pull the motor and clean it up. It is going strong now with the motor that was in it. Just need to figure out my breaking clutch cable problem. LOL I've had it about a year and a half now. Very Happy Love it.

1964 Split Window Bus
1966 Beetle Build Thread= http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=472933
1969 Delivery Van= http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=566282
1970 Westy Build Thread= http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=479538
1971 Squareback Build Thread = http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6652459#6652459
1970 Single Cab, Samson = http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8022609#8022609
Kunal Verma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scored a NOS Kamei quilted parcel shelf for the price of a couple of Starbucks. I was still in disbelief when I opened up the small plastic packet for the plastic knob stapled to the shelf's frame.
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had few actually...
First was the '57 Ladawri (see signature)

Second was my neighbor that pulled a brand new in the box VDO Tach, date stamped 9/66, never installed and said all he wanted for it was $10.00... Brought it home, took a pic put an ad on here and sold it for almost $300.00 in less than 3 hours... sorry can't find the pic for some reason...

And last but not least? Finding a complete Judson Supercharger for 36hp for $150.00 (still want to install it one of these day in the oval) (see gallery)
Square73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best score was a couple boxes of VW parts at a local flea market. $45 got me 4 complete bee hive tail lights & about 2 more in parts, a couple Pope's noses, a pair of late 50's bus marker lights, misc. oil caps, gas caps, 2 NOS 74 bus mufflers ( I bought a 74 bus the next week, talk about luck ) lots of other small parts. Didn't get rich, but I got to practice my poker face trying to get my wallet out to pay for it.
kawik's
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found and purchased an early NOS Ra-Bambus tray for $15 at a yardsale. The lady thought it was missing the other half of a snowshoe. Found an original Hella Foglight/Bumperguard set that fits my '55 oval from a swapmeet in the Grand Caymans Very Happy!
Volktales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A neat old guy came into the shop I work at and knows I restore old VWs. Says he has something I might like for one of my cars. Then pulls this out...

Complete with original holder and locking keys and plug for radio when in picnic mode. Not shown is carrying handle which was also included. He stated the radio was fully tested and in perfect working condition. Knows it is rare and wants only $50 for it. I tell him he should look up the on-line prices because I was sure they were significantly more valuable then this and he could get a much better price (he is a nice customer). His response was he would be more than happy with $50 and that is his price, period. Never has the wallet moved faster...
1964 Ghia, ongoing project 2007-
1962 Beetle Beryl,original paint survivor 2012-
1970 Savannah Beige Beetle 2012-
1992 16v GTI, 100% stock 2006-
1991 "Terseo", wife's old daily 1995-
1969 Chevrolet CST/10 (family owned since new)
1965 Gold Corvair Monza 2021-
1966 and 1965 Monza 2022-
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...a long, long time ago I was shopping thru the dusty part shelves of the VW Automuseum Obsolete parts department in Wolfsburg, Germany, maybe the third time I had visited and bought stuff there. I had heard a rumor, I didn't believe it, but during each visit I would ask to buy this particular rumored item, but they denied they had any.

Anyway, after a few visits they kind of remembered me as an enthusiast/collector and finally someone opened up a special drawer, and for around $60 I walked away (among lots of other parts bought that visit) with the fourth of four "KDF stamp savers booklets" that an engineer from Graz, Austria had saved up for to purchase his WWII era KDF Beetle. This final stamp book for him was completely full of the KDF stamps, and the final hand-cancelled KDF stamp was dated in 1945 near the end of WWII.

I thought that was an unobtainable score for my literature collection way back then, and it still holds a prized place in my collection, and for what I consider an awesome cheap price! Back then it paid to be polite and persistent. Still got it!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
moogie32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:

I thought that was an unobtainable score for my literature collection way back then, and it still holds a prized place in my collection, and for what I consider an awesome cheap price! Back then it paid to be polite and persistent. Still got it!
Bill

What a great story!
Doch leider musst du von uns gehn
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: