Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to tighten the Mirrors?
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
varagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:48 pm    Post subject: How to tighten the Mirrors? Reply with quote

So, when I drive, my mirrors vibrate and then slowly end up pointing down and moving in as the wind blows on them. As soon as I hit 40+, I can't even move my head enough to use them.

I've tried tightening them to no avail.

Any help or ideas?
22manybugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mirrors came with regular lock washers (i.e., one cut across the washer) on all the screws. I had the same problem, the mirrors would gradually rotate with the wind pushing against them. Tightening the screws makes no difference until you tighten so far it strips the thread. I replaced the regular lock washers with star lock washers, they seem to grip a lot better without having to tighten the nuts as much, so the mirrors stay in place.

1969 Karmann Ghia convertible
1971 Westfalia camper
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
varagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

22manybugs wrote:
My mirrors came with regular lock washers (i.e., one cut across the washer) on all the screws. I had the same problem, the mirrors would gradually rotate with the wind pushing against them. Tightening the screws makes no difference until you tighten so far it strips the thread. I replaced the regular lock washers with star lock washers, they seem to grip a lot better without having to tighten the nuts as much, so the mirrors stay in place.

Ok..But is that the nut at the mirror or the mirror to the door? Neither spot that can be tightened has washers.

What year is yours? Mine is a 73.
danielsan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you completely unscrew the mirror from the door there is a nut that can be tightened some-- its on the end that points at the door card.

22manybug's solution is a good one but, unfortunately, also a good description of the problem; the parts eventually wear out. I've had some success with green locktite . . .
Kiptere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had that problem forever. No matter what i did they wouldn't stay tight. Just got new mirrors and solved the problem.
70 Bug Vert
Northof49
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a new mirror from CIP. It is their "Best Quality" ghia mirror. It has a square shaft on the vertical shaft and a split collet taper section to tighten up. I'll let you know how it holds up on the road test.
22manybugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

varagon wrote:
Ok..But is that the nut at the mirror or the mirror to the door? Neither spot that can be tightened has washers.

What year is yours? Mine is a 73.

Mine is a 69. I bought the mirrors from KGPR about 8 years ago, so it was all new hardware at that time. If yours didn't come with washers, maybe mine didn't come with them either and I added the lock washers, I can't remember. Getting the mirrors to stay in position, yet still move when you want to adjust them or when someone bumps into the mirror, has been a long-running problem. I tighten just until the mirror stays in place at freeway speed (70 mph), but over time it starts slipping, then I tighten a little more, repeat a few times (over a few years) then eventually the thread strips. The first time it stripped, I added several washers to move the nut onto a new section of the thread and started the process again. The second time it stripped, I re-threaded the bolt to the next smaller size (same pitch), and that's when I switched to the star washer. The star washer holds the mirror in position better with less torque, so I hope the thread won't strip out now. So far, it has held great since I changed to the star washer, about six months. This is on the horizontal axis - the bolt from the mirror to the door. The other thread that pivots the mirror vertically hasn't been as bad, I haven't had those apart for a few years.

1969 Karmann Ghia convertible
1971 Westfalia camper
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: