Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Classic rear popouts for NB's?
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:21 pm    Post subject: Classic rear popouts for NB's? Reply with quote

Has anyone ever fabricated up a set or has anyone ever produced rear popout windows for a newer beetles ('98 up)?

...someone here's gotta know!

Not quite sure where to ask this. I've searched high & low on every forum I can think of and just seem to find NOTHING! a few sparse thread here and there from half a decade ago, and absolutely zero images...
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably wouldn't look too bad. Did you check the vortex?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes searched at VV, NB.org and a few others and other than some idle chats 3-5-10 years old not much of anyone saying anything...

Only reason I'm asking is for about a year or three now I have been watching for an NB ('98-'07) sedan without a sunroof as I'd love to clone my oval, check the stance, throw in a rag, paint & upholster to match my '57... Wink

The ragtop part is easy to source & install and have seen a few kits installed on a few NB's but can't seem to find anyone anywhere with popouts on one... (I did see somewhere w/front vent windows on one though I think it was probably photo shopped)

I'm a glazier by trade and I totally understand the mechanics of a simple lite of glass with a compound bow in it but I find it hard to imagine no one has ever attempted it or done it. I already know that if/when I find the right donor NB it would be pretty simple to remove the rears intact take sand casts of the of the left & right bows and then make hard molds cut new lites, drill them and with a larger hobby kiln to easily bend & temper them... Somehow I can't just see how no one has ever seen one let alone done it, or at least it looks as no one has anyway...

I think they would be serious cool for a retro effect on an earlier NB...
73sports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rear windows on the NB are bonded to the body. I have never seen anyone make popouts for that car. You might have to be the first. I'm going to assume that since all US bound cars came with A/C, there was no need for something like that. Same with no modern cars having vent windows.

Central Jersey VW Society
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: