Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine firewall tar board
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sctbrd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:34 pm    Post subject: Engine firewall tar board Reply with quote

Are there any sources for firewall tar board or something similar to original, either type 3 size or larger that can be cut using my cracked, deformed original?
Or am I better off using something else and painting it?
For my T34.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, that piece isn't being reproduced. This means good used or NOS are your only options. I believe the type 3 engine bay piece is similar in size and shape (might need to be trimmed in length), since the T-34 is based on the type 3. You might try looking for a bug or T-1 based Ghia rear wall piece (might be easier to find), and cut the shape out of it, as those cars don't have the lower piece like a type 3 uses, but the material used was the same (a bigger piece of it).

On my own car, that piece was pretty baked (crumbling), so I removed it, cleaned up the front wall and painted it. Keep in mind that the tar board piece started with the 64 models, as prior to that, the front wall had louvers in it. Wink
I hope this helps.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
sctbrd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks- Alex from ISP West said the bug tarboard might be big enough to use, and I asked him to verify with my measurements and if the thickness is correct.

Understood it may not be necessary, but would like to replace mine if it isnt a big hassle/cost.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: