Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'76 restoration help
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
12cjsuko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:19 pm    Post subject: '76 restoration help Reply with quote

I picked up a beetle a couple weeks ago for $300, in rough condition. the engine is apart, trans is still mounted to the chassis, and the whole thing needs to be reassembled. me and my dad have only built road driven manx buggies, so I understand most of the vw setups. my plans are to lower, rebuild, paint, and set it up for street/road racing. biggest thing I need help with is the engine setup. Ive been searching for hours, but cant find anything that pertains to my problem. the fuel injection system is getting ditched for a drawthru turbo setup, but I need to know what engine shrouds/tins/aprons are going to be needed. i have no sheetmetal for the engine. should i run full tins, or just the tins above the cylinders? the heater assembly is already removed. any help is greatly appreciated
DeathTrap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not really restoration

that's modification.

restoration might include functional fuel injection
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not a rail buggy, it needs all tin (see extensive discussion on hoover bit Wink ). Since you plan on hopping up the engine a bit, look for doghouse tin. And I repeat, stock it needs all the tin, beyond stock really needs all the tin plus a handful of tricks.
12cjsuko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so basically put everything back to stock? could someone make a list of the tins, or a picture of all the tins i will need for a non heater setup? we have a spare fan shroud setup at my parents, but im not sure if that's the style i will need. i would have to block off the heater tubes.
VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The FI tin is significantly different to a carby VW.. as is the body metal around the engine bay. The FI cars have a wider engine bay
12cjsuko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so i should find the FI tins? i have a fan cover from an older 1600. i need to block off the heater passages though. would it chang anything if i run the car without the rear hood?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the engines got bigger the german engineers put more holes in the engine bay. So yes removing the hood would help. Some folks just put a tennis ball under the latch to hold the hood open a few inches. Some folks use offset hinges so the hood becomes an air scoop. Looks like a good way to cool the engine if it weren't so darn ugly.
12cjsuko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anyone know where I can find the bigger engine bay shrouds? I think its just the rear engine tin that is different, but im not positive. can someone fill me in on what is actually different?
Hyperspace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get secondhand tins... the full set, don't waste money on aftermarket tins, they ALL suck. Even when they somewhat resemble the originals... on the outside.

Photo's http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Hyperspace&show_results=summary
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: