Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

disc brake conversion or drum rebuild kit.
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: disc brake conversion or drum rebuild kit. Reply with quote

vwglwnnon wrote:
... I'm not very mechanical so i wont attempt to rebuild my brakes my self,...

sorry if I seem like a hater for this...

YOU SHOULD SELL YOUR VW AND BUY A NEWER CAR.
These cars are very reliable when maintained correctly, but that means you must get your hands dirty and do the mechanicals! If you are willing to learn, it ain't rocket science, get the Bentley and someone to show you how, otherwise SELL THE CAR NOW.
'73 Sunroof Transporter
luvtheeluvbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: disc brake conversion or drum rebuild kit. Reply with quote

Steve22 wrote:
vwglwnnon wrote:
... I'm not very mechanical so i wont attempt to rebuild my brakes my self,...

sorry if I seem like a hater for this...

YOU SHOULD SELL YOUR VW AND BUY A NEWER CAR.
These cars are very reliable when maintained correctly, but that means you must get your hands dirty and do the mechanicals! If you are willing to learn, it ain't rocket science, get the Bentley and someone to show you how, otherwise SELL THE CAR NOW.

One mustn't be so harsh. A person can like older cars while not liking to work on them. It just means the local VW mechanic gets more business.
Fahrvergnugen/ far-fair-gnu-ghen/ Description of a pleasurable sensation experienced when a car and it's driver are in mutual harmony; A unique driving experience; Pleasure; Satisfaction; A feeling experienced by Volkswagen drivers.
Steve22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: disc brake conversion or drum rebuild kit. Reply with quote

luvtheeluvbug wrote:
One mustn't be so harsh. A person can like older cars while not liking to work on them. It just means the local VW mechanic gets more business.

True, and the owner gets poorer and poorer, usually some youngster with little money to begin with.
'73 Sunroof Transporter
gooser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know a lot of people in this town that have old cars that do not work on them themselves. it seems to work for them.
Vwglennon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject: Steve 22 Reply with quote

Ive had old vws since I've been 16. I'm 43 now. I have friends that help me. I'm not mechanical. I'm just getting advice on brakes before I go buy drums when later I wished I got discs. vice verse
I'm getting different ideas from people and both sides make sense. Just wanted input from actual VW owners.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gooser wrote:
i know a lot of people in this town that have old cars that do not work on them themselves. it seems to work for them.

I was going to post the same thing - I guess those of us that love the wrenching part have a hard time understanding the other side of it. I still do some - but I am guessing that at least 1/3 of the folks at most shows dont wrench and they still enjoy the hell out of their cars.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Her74buggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Topline all the way around, stock master, easy wrenching to swap, stops on a dime and easily the best investment I've made on the bug.
If you just do the front the topline kit has the nice cut billet bracket (not forged) and comes with bearings and steel braided lines included. Super easy to do in just a few hours.
DeathTrap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sonagun wouldn't stop

http://www.superbeetlesonly.com/forum/uploads/1238613215/gallery_167_5_411235.jpg
luvtheeluvbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: disc brake conversion or drum rebuild kit. Reply with quote

Steve22 wrote:
luvtheeluvbug wrote:

True, and the owner gets poorer and poorer, usually some youngster with little money to begin with.

Is there a real problem with people liking cars but not wanting to work on them? Do NASCAR drivers change the oil in their cars? I THINK NOT!
Fahrvergnugen/ far-fair-gnu-ghen/ Description of a pleasurable sensation experienced when a car and it's driver are in mutual harmony; A unique driving experience; Pleasure; Satisfaction; A feeling experienced by Volkswagen drivers.
VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

..fix what you have, first. After all, about two-thirds of the VW Beetles ever made had front drum brakes

But front - and four-wheel - discs are nice Very Happy
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vw, get the front disc kit. You won't regret it. Have someone else put the kit in for you. It's okay. You'll love it!

And you don't have to smell like an old bug to own one!

Tim
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: