Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ok, this camber adjustment has now annoyed me....
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BL3Manx wrote:

Changing the adjustment on an adjustable front beam will only change the ride height. It will have no effect on the spring rate/ ride stiffness.

The only way to do that is to remove some leaves or remove one complete stack of leaves and replace it with a through bolt.

True...and yet.... False..

It can be 100% faked (tuned) with an adjustable beam as well.....
Simply adjust each beam and springs separately.

Adjust the lower stack up
... adjust the upper stack down
or vice-verse.

On a light buggy one full spring pack will generally do the job.
It will hold it at the right height... while the majority of weight being only on one spring.. it will and does ride softer.

You can then pretty much tune it how you like by rotating the springs in the combination that works for a particular weight nose..

Another possibility with adjustable beams. Remove the center grub screw (link pin) or adjuster lever screw (ball joint) in one of the center adjuster blocks, replace it with a short grub screw (link) or remove (ball) allowing the center adjuster block to simply rotate in the tube making that particular spring to not act as a spring... but more as as light sway bar..

While a through rod replaces an entire spring pack with a non spring rod.. there is no way to tune any ride height.. unless the one tube with the spring...has an adjuster...

The problem with the through rod or single spring set up... you are stuck with whatever the ONE spring has to offer for height and ride quality...

In addition..... that one spring thats not secured in the center.... has a tendency to let the trailing arms float side to side..
Not the most safe and secure method....but it sorta works..

Bottom line.. its better to have an adjustable beam rather than a solid stock beam.

Lots of possibilities and lots of combinations can be used.
Not everyone likes the same "feel" and "look"

For example... my buggy is lowered ball joint beam with stock spindles...
I have full spring packs in each tube with adjusters welded in.. I replaced some of the solid leaves with split leaves....and still had to tune one beam up and the other down some to get the height and fell I like..
If my tastes change..(ha)... I can always crank it up, down, more stiff or more loose..

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I here repeatedly how adjusting the upper and lower bars into conflict effects the effective stiffness (rate.) Can someone explain how, and how to use that? What adjustment stiffens and softens the effective rate?

I'm about to pop for a 2 inch narrowed beam to get the tires under my mini-t fenders. I will be keeping things stiff because I will be loosing the bump stops (K&L) and don't want to strike the fenders. These buys wait for fall because winter is the season for upgrades.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
I here repeatedly how adjusting the upper and lower bars into conflict effects the effective stiffness (rate.) Can someone explain how, and how to use that? What adjustment stiffens and softens the effective rate?

Speak to the hand Hold on.... Start a new topic.... or search Wink
This topic post needs to stay on its topic... its got enough problems already..

Laughing
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah lets a get another STANDARD GOOD UNMODIFIED SECOND-HAND BEAM WITH STANDARD OIL SHOCKS into this car to correct the camber.

Then he can ask a few simple questions about softening it by removing the half-leaf torsion bars in the top and bottom beams
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You adjust the beam with the weight off the wheels, one up, one down. You lower it back on the ground and it will settle to the point where the stack you adjusted up just begins to carry some load. From that point onward both stacks are working in their normal direction and since torsion bars/leaves have a linear spring rate, both springs require the exact same torque per degree of rotation/deflection.

As soon as you put it on the ground the tuning is gone.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to disagree.

What the miss-match setting does is allow the rebound to unload at a different rate, which makes a big difference.

I have two adjusters on my Manx that I drove across the US and back last month. When I put the adjusters in, I set them so at their lowest point, they wold be in stock location and all the adjustment is for raising, (lifted buggy with Thing Spindles, longer rear arms, notched spring plates).

My first test drive was with both adjusters set at half of their adjustment equally. Jarred my dental fillings out, felt every tar strip. Came back home, checked the engine for leaks, belt tightness and so forth. Then, dropped the bottom adjuster to it's lowest setting, (stock setting) and adjusted the top to it's most highest setting, ending up with the same overall height of the buggy. 30 minutes later, ran the same road with the same tire pressure. Oh my, what a difference!

I never touched them again. Every one who has either driven or rode in my Manx has commented on the very soft ride quality.

I have even went so far as to draw out the suspension, made the arch's and calculated the pressure based on a linear spring scale, and the math says it will not work and the ride will be the same, but it changes the ride quality dramatically. It has to be the rebound unloading at a different rate than stock.

Vince, surfNC does this to his buggy's he builds, but slightly differently. He cuts, turns and rewelds only one tube on the beam of the center sections about 3/8 inch leaving the other at it's stock height. He too states it changes the ride quality softening it substantially.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe so, I've done it too and noticed no difference. I believe removing leaves is the best way to do it. I think the biggest problem with removing leaves is the leaves aren't marked left and light and they get turned around and when that happens they break and then people blame it on removing leaves.
Jerry39218
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess I have some decisions to make.

Which way to go with this.

I can't find a completely built beam spindle to spindle with adjusters so I may have to piece meal one together.

funds and time... have another half dozen or so shows coming up so I may just repair (bandaid) the loose side and let it ride for awhile.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its really a whole new topic... no hijack intended.. Embarassed

BL3Manx wrote:
Maybe so, I've done it too and noticed no difference. I believe removing leaves is the best way to do it. I think the biggest problem with removing leaves is the leaves aren't marked left and light and they get turned around and when that happens they break and then people blame it on removing leaves.

You may have not noticed a difference simply on the way your beam adjusters were installed or set up...

Placement makes a world of difference just due to the turning abilty.
If its narrowed in any way... the springs react much different as well..

Cutting leaves is safer option than removing them.
Simply removing leaves wont keep the spring packs tight in the center or the torsion arms..

I personally like removing some of the solids for splits..

And yes... you have to keep rotation oreintation in the same direction..

BL3Manx wrote:

As soon as you put it on the ground the tuning is gone.

Not entirely true... its been proven too many times to work very well..

Think of it this way.. in very basic terms.
Ill say the lower is the main and the upper is the secondary, but it could just as well be the other way..

For simplicity let say each spring pack is the same load rate.. 500lbs.. I doubt thats right... but...

If you adjust the lower spring to start reacting to its weight before the upper spring.. the tension of the upper spring will be less.. until the full rate of the lower spring is reached.. Yes by placing it on the ground..
But.. these are light weight cars...
Remember the further you twist the torsion bar... the more tension it creates in the opposite direction.. (at least to the point of its rate)...
Sure... you will be loading the lower more... but you have now loaded it with more weight on it than it was intended to hold.. so it will react to that weight differently.

That means during normal use or a jounce.. the lower spring does the majority of work.. while the second spring is merly now a helper spring..

Then we can get into the whole adjusting springs to basically fight each other.. one twisting down while the other is twisting up... Its the exact same idea... just with different reactions...

There are limitless combinations..

Does anybody remember the old single tube adjuster....select-a- drop set up..
Yes it turned one beam only... and yes it softened the ride.. while lowering as well.. Same idea....
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Usually and often edited
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done it both ways, staggering the adjustment on the two stacks and replacing a one stack with a Formula Vee anti-sway bar.

When I used the sway bar/1 stack of leaves I saw the front end dropped farther when I took it off the jacks than when I staggered the adjustment on two stacks and then took it off the jacks.

That tells me the second stack is starting to be twisted as soon as its full weight is on its wheels.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I know for a fact,
fewer leaves = softer suspension.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes with the FV anti-sway bar in one beam.. its no longer a spring helping ... so yes it will ride lower... and softer..
(The weight is now only on 1 spring pack...)

Yes 2 spring packs will hold more weight than 1 by itself.. Not disputing that..
Even with mis matched adjustment..

Yes less leaves = softer ride... It has too..

Usually and often edited
bim55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really dont recall a softer ride using the old style Selecta-Drop (see picture above) if you were lowering the car and that's where the dual adjusters would help.

All I recall is the ride getting harder and harder the more you cranked on it to lower the front end down, and that was good and what you wanted when auto-xing.

Unwinding it to a normal height softened the ride on the way home.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only if you dont cut the bump stops off on a link pin beam.. or start bottoming out the ball joints in the slot travel... will the ride get harsher when you start loosening up one spring.. while the other takes more load..

I know guys... it seems to make no sense.... Not arguing.. with anyone about this... Just trying to show that it is something that does work...

I like to think about it this way in simple physics. ... compress a spring 1 inch versus 6 inches..
The reaction and potential energy is greater on the one thats most compressed...
Torsion bars...springs...work the same way...just instead of compressing.. its twisted energy.. ..
If you twist one with the arm 6 inches... it has more potential energy than the one twisted 1 inch..

Its obviously a topic that SHOULD have its own..
Everyone in entitled to a different opinion.. and theory..

Usually and often edited

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNUT on Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:30 am; edited 1 time in total
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to running my spring packs mis-adjusted, I also run 21 mm rear torsion bars. Oil only shocks on the front and gas charged shocks on the rear. Very smooth ride.

I will offer rides to anyone interested at MOTB in 1 1/2 month's.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jerry39218
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not get a chance to snap some pics of something I noticed on my beam...

There are two welded in tubes connected to the lower beam going back to the pan...they are connected on each side right where a tow bar would connect.

So, on this beam, there are 4 bolts and 2 welded in tubes holding it on the car.

Also, in the center of the upper and lower beams there are nuts...not sure what size tho. Are these adjusters maybe? Or do all beams have those?

Will try to post pics tomorrow when I have more light.

Needless to say, I think replacing the beam is out. So now I'm curious about trying to fix this one by replacing whatever parts I can. Arms, springs, etc.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:

To be blunt..
I think its time to buy a service manual. Even the cheap Haynes Type 1 manual would help.

Jerry39218 wrote:
I have 2 manuals... but trying to remember things from 30 years ago is difficult...

Pick one of those up...open it... they should have pictures too!

Again.. just being blunt.. and really trying to help you..
Sometimes picking up a manual.. and reading.. the light in your head goes on Idea

All beams with or without adjusters have a center "nut" which is securing the torsion bar lock or grub screw.

If its a botched narrowing.. on a Link Pin.. the beam is now JUNK!!! (for most people). There are ways to correct.. but ... its just as easy... easier to start fresh.

Those arms going back to the pan are probably just added supports.
Post up your pics... lets see what you got..

If your beam is truly welded in place.. It probably best to cut it loose and get a good look and a new start.. .

Usually and often edited
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:

To be blunt..
I think its time to buy a service manual. Even the cheap Haynes Type 1 manual would help.

Jerry39218 wrote:
I have 2 manuals... but trying to remember things from 30 years ago is difficult...

Pick one of those up...open it... they should have pictures too!

Again.. just being blunt.. and really trying to help you..
Sometimes picking up a manual.. and reading.. the light in your head goes on Idea

All beams with or without adjusters have a center "nut" which is securing the torsion bar lock or grub screw.

If its a botched narrowing.. on a Link Pin.. the beam is now JUNK!!! (for most people). There are ways to correct.. but ... its just as easy... easier to start fresh.

Those arms going back to the pan are probably just added supports.
Post up your pics... lets see what you got..

If your beam is truly welded in place.. It probably best to cut it loose and get a good look and a new start.. .

That is some really good advice, use it.

To add, the light blue Bentley manual will cover your LP beam the best of any manuals available.

Cut the two welded bars, unbolt the 4 bolts, steering shaft and replace it with a known good beam. You will leap so far ahead in time and frustration getting away from hacked parts.

Trying to help you with hacked parts can prove to be trying.

Jerry39218
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you assume I don't open a manual? really?

I only post on here when my experience and the manuals are NOT helping... there are LOADS of issues I have taken care of already... but some things aren't coming together for me as THIS buggy is an enigma
Jerry39218
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this simple thing first so you know exactly what you have.

Pinch Weld to pinch weld measurement. These are of my Sears Rascal known to be stock beam.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: