Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

67 Beetle Paint Job Help!
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jcgerardi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject: 67 Beetle Paint Job Help! Reply with quote

I am painting my beetle myself with a spray gun and planning to use a single stage paint.

Which auto paint is best?

Best online supplier OR Los Angeles supplier?

How many gallons?

Estimated price?

Thank you very much!
bvd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently painting my beetle using Summit Racing's single stage acrylic urethane in orange. Very affordable and seems to be pretty good quality...http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-csumup306/overview/

Some further info: http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/instructions/paint%20intro.pdf

Br aware that urethane paint hardens by chemically crosslinking with itself, because you must add an isocyanate catalyst or activator to it. Also, it is very dangerous if not handled properly as the isocyanates can enter your body and never leave...obviously unless you're spraying it everyday as your career you don't have to worry too much, but still exercise extreme caution and research proper respiratory protection if you ever use it.
Cmontoya9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots Of loaded questions there bud. "Which paint is best?" How much do you want(have) to spend? "Which supplier is best?" There are too many to name. " how many gallons?" If you need more than one something is wrong. Have you ever painted? What look are you going for? Original? Just new paint? The "best" paint to use will depend on your budget. Dupont Nason paint and PPG Omni will cost about $30-$40 per quart. House of Kolor paint and the like will run you about $1000 per quart. Do you want a factory looking paint job? If so you want something like PPG Concept single stage paint. Much harder for a rookie to use in my opinion. I would go with a base coat/clear coat paint job. you can expect to use about 2 quarts to a gallon of primer depending on body work needed, about 2 quarts of sealer, so your paint stays on the car, about 2-3 quarts of color and a gallon of clear. I would buy from a local auto body supply shop, I can't imagine it would be hard to find one in LA. Just to put it in perspective for you, as an estimate, if you use the less expensive paint, you can expect to spent between $400-$700 on paint materials, THEN add your masking paper, tape, lacquer thinner for cleaning, paint gun...no easy answers. Good luck man.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6369627&highlight=#6369627
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: