Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

oil light on
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rampeyboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:11 am    Post subject: oil light on Reply with quote

71 bug, 1600dp. has 35psi oil pressure at 60mph, 12 at idle (900rpm hot). Have replaced oil sender and oil light still on. I have replaced the lower 12" of wire to the sender because it previously got hot and was really brittle. Don't think it ever shorted though. Is there something I'm missing here? What could be the problem? Thanks in advance!

Boyce

ps probably unrelated, but gen light also just started glowing dimly. Will go out at times, but is concerning. Tried pressing on the brushes, and tightened the belt with no success. This just started this morning..so haven't had time to properly diagnose yet..
rooney77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the generator light comes on, can you get it to go out by getting the engine to a higher rpm?
rampeyboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gen light will go out, but oddly enough when the engine is slowing down/dropping rpms, which led me to believe the belt was loose...steady rpm or revving the light is on.

The oil light, sometimes will, but is mostly on, hot or cold. I've seen 50psi on my gauge and the light is on!
fred69vert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disconnect the oil light wire from the sender. If the light comes on you have a short to ground somewhere. If not, there is probably a problem in the sender. I installed a tee so that I could use both the stock light sender and the sender for my gauge. The light side of the gauge sender seemed to give me problems.

1969 VW convertible, "Heidi"
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you wrap the OP sender in teflon tape? Don't do that as it needs an electrical pathway to ground.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rampeyboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, no teflon. Good idea on disconnecting it to see if light remains on. Does the stock sender/light double as an oil temperature light? I questioned for a while if the engine was too hot, because I am missing the rear lower tin around the crank pulley.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No the light doesn't work for OT.

The factory sender comes on at 2-3 psi and VDO di-pole comes on at 7-8 psi.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mrkotfw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the generator, thoroughly test it.

I found that my voltage regulator (the one from Duralast) went bad.
rampeyboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so I removed the wire to the oil pressure sender, and the light is out. I have good oil pressure as observed with mechanical gauge, so I will try another oil pressure sender. The one I have is a brand new one I bought because the oil light was coming on and I figured it was the sender. Turns out the new one is apparently no good either!

The gen light..well checking voltage at the B+ terminal on the gen(engine running ~2000rpm by ear) it bounces all over, from a low of 14.6 volts to a high of 19.xx volts. I'm guessing high voltage also causes the red gen light to glow?? Will look for a voltage regulator this week and see what happens! Thanks for the help folks!

Boyce
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I refuse to trust new oil pressure idiot light switches unless they have Germany, Hella or Bosch on them or the box they come out of.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
mrkotfw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rampeyboy wrote:
OK, so I removed the wire to the oil pressure sender, and the light is out. I have good oil pressure as observed with mechanical gauge, so I will try another oil pressure sender. The one I have is a brand new one I bought because the oil light was coming on and I figured it was the sender. Turns out the new one is apparently no good either!

The gen light..well checking voltage at the B+ terminal on the gen(engine running ~2000rpm by ear) it bounces all over, from a low of 14.6 volts to a high of 19.xx volts. I'm guessing high voltage also causes the red gen light to glow?? Will look for a voltage regulator this week and see what happens! Thanks for the help folks!

Boyce

You slowly increased the engine RPM? You should isolate the generator, and only that. You have too many variables...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: