Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dropped spindels on a 356 T5, help with tires choice?
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bulli bulli 33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Dropped spindels on a 356 T5, help with tires choice? Reply with quote

Hi, I need a little help. I am installing dropped spindels and I have no idea what tires size should i take. My rims are 5,5 wide. Did somebody done it before, I have to buy new tires and I realy dont want to do it twice!
Thanks in advance
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MMW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put dropped spindles on my 59' T2. I run stock wheels (4.5") with 175/60-15" tires with no issues. That's all I can help you with. Dropped spindles usually widen the track by 5/8" on each side or so.
Update - third pc. found!
Now just need the case halves.
1965 fenderless beetle
bulli bulli 33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks MMW, I am gona try with 175/50 in the front and leave the rear ones stock
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Budcar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have dropped spindles on a t5 and run 175/65-15 front and 195/60-16 rear. the rears are very tight. plenty of room in the front unless you slam it down on the ground, they will rub at full turn.

There is a problem I found that you loose castor with dropped spindles. If you have your torsion bars in front set too low and your rears set so you have the raked look, it will wander at 70 and 80 mph will be a handful. The VW guys use castor shims on the lower rail, on a 356 you can't.

I had to set my car up fairly flat (no rake) to get it to drive ok at high speed.
bulli bulli 33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is castor? Sorry but english ist not my native language!
Budcar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spelled it wrong, I guess English shouldn't be my native language.

When a vehicle's front suspension is aligned, caster is adjusted to achieve the self-centering action of steering, which affects the vehicle's straight-line stability. Improper caster settings will cause the driver to move the steering wheel both into and out of each turn, making it difficult to maintain a straight line.
badsix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

castor is the angle of the kingpin forward and aft. camber is the angle side to side.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: