Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Heavy Gas Smell
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
driise67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:49 pm    Post subject: Heavy Gas Smell Reply with quote

So, my 1969 convertible is parked in the garage; and when garage door is closed, the gas smell is unbelievable. However, when I open garage door and get some fresh air in there, it's fine. No leaks from beneath the car, or around the engine/engine compartment, no sign of a leak underneath the hood; so any ideas? Car runs fantastic (aside from the 31 PICT carb that needs to be swapped for a 34).

Thanks!
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id follow the fuel line from under the gas tank to the fuel pump and carb. It may be seeping and not dripping. Good Luck.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
O2COOLED
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
Id follow the fuel line from under the gas tank to the fuel pump and carb. It may be seeping and not dripping. Good Luck.

X2, check it out to be sure.

But on the other hand isn't the gas aroma part of the unique "smell" of an ACVW? Laughing

"At my age time is too short to respond to people with short minds"

Current: '69 Ghia Coupe
VW History:'63 Bug;'70 Bug;'73 412;'83 Rabbit;'86 Golf;'76 Fat Chick; 67 Ghia Coupe; '70 Bug
3foldfolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the gas smell is strong, you have wet raw fuel some where. I would be concerned about a fire hazard. I would inspect the bottom of the fuel tank and hose from the tank outlet tube to the chassis tube. If fuel is leaking due to a leaking fuel tube inside the tunnel the drain tube at the rear of the tunnel in front of the trans mount will be wet if the leak is significant. There is usually a round rubber plug in this hole. Approx 1/2 diameter. The rubber plug may be soft from fuel contamination. You didn't mention if the tank was filled prior to parking the car in the garage. If so, it could be an overflow issue as gas is expanding during warm ambient temps in the garage. If at all possible keep the area ventilated (or keep the car outside) until the source of the fuel smell is identified and corrected.
70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like the others have mentioned, I would suspect the metal fuel line inside the tunnel is leaking if the smell is srong. There are a handful of spots you can use to get a look inside the tunnel to verify this.

You could also check some easy stuff like the gasket around the tank sender and the gaskets on the tank filler hose. Also check the vent lines off the tank.

The tank venting on a 69 is a myriad of rubber tubing and charcoal canisters. Any component of which could be aged and allowing vapour to escape.
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way back when my tunnel flooded with gas. It was the rubber line under the tank. It ran down the metal line and the grommet was bad so it all went in the tunnel. Took years to get the smell out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also make sure the gasket on the gas cap is in good shape - often overlooked.

My guess would be one of the fuel vent lines is bad or not tight. Does it smell as strong when the tank is a quarter full versus full?
driise67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, everyone for your advice. Will keep you posted on the outcome.
olnick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject: Gas smell again/still/yet Reply with quote

I thought I was going crazy.. Now I know its not just me... My garage stinks so bad I need to park any gas operated item out side or in a remote shed. Its NOT us smelling the gas... Its the damn government letting the gas co.'s screw with the gas. When gas was ""GAS" I never had any problems with a gas smell PERIOD. now that all you can buy is 10% ethanol all you get is fumes....
I brought my 2010 Yamaha Venture back to the dealer under warranty to fix the gas smell, they made it better but were not able to totally get rid of it. The lawn mower and chainsaw are now in my new "out building" I couldn't take the smell any more. Now my 68 bug convertible stinks any time I put the top up... I have NO leaks the vent tube is run correctly and the tank/fuel system will hold pressure 2-3 days at 2 PSI. During this time (test) there is NO smell whatsoever. I "Think" a carbon canister might be the solution as it would hold the fumes till the tank fuel level starts to drop drawing the fumes back into the tank to be burnt and not allow them to vent out to the atmosphere? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Gas smell again/still/yet Reply with quote

olnick wrote:
I thought I was going crazy.. Now I know its not just me... My garage stinks so bad I need to park any gas operated item out side or in a remote shed. Its NOT us smelling the gas... Its the damn government letting the gas co.'s screw with the gas. When gas was ""GAS" I never had any problems with a gas smell PERIOD. now that all you can buy is 10% ethanol all you get is fumes....
I brought my 2010 Yamaha Venture back to the dealer under warranty to fix the gas smell, they made it better but were not able to totally get rid of it. The lawn mower and chainsaw are now in my new "out building" I couldn't take the smell any more. Now my 68 bug convertible stinks any time I put the top up... I have NO leaks the vent tube is run correctly and the tank/fuel system will hold pressure 2-3 days at 2 PSI. During this time (test) there is NO smell whatsoever. I "Think" a carbon canister might be the solution as it would hold the fumes till the tank fuel level starts to drop drawing the fumes back into the tank to be burnt and not allow them to vent out to the atmosphere? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

I have two AC VWs in the garage and have no problem with gas smell from either car. During the summer when I drive the cars often I sue the ethanol pump blend. For my winterization I drain all the fuel and fill with 100% pure gas which I can still get - but not as conveniently. The gas is not the problem.

If your gas smell is that strong you have a problem somewhere. I had a very strong gas smell in the garage from my Ghia back in the Spring. Went through everything and found a loose clamp on a tank vent line. Tightening that one clamp cured the problem. I don't know how it came loose or how I missed that previously.

I do have the charcoal canister in place on both cars - hooked up properly with new charcoal in the canister.
carmangary
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 69 Coupe and there is absolutely zero smell of gas coming from it with a full tank, empty tank, or anywhere in between. It did have a smell long ago but after replacing the big fat fuel filler hose and the seals the smell went away.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
steveoutlaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was having the gas smell as well. When I took the gas tank off to clean, seal, sand and paint it I found that the nipple coming out of the gas tank was leaking. It wasn't enough to get onto the floor but it was enough to get the garage stinky.
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WELCOME.
A nice thing about gasoline, and similar to natural gas, is the aroma that lets one know of a potential leak. Is there a water heater in your garage. The pilot can be the flame to ignite those fumes.
I believe KGPR, out here on the west coast sells a kit that includes many of the common rubber parts that cause your concern. While it is possible for a metal line or component to be at fault, a qualified tech should look at all areas involved here. Being a '69, at least there is no EVAP system with all the additional vent hoses/components.
Hope this helps, Bill.
jwold
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fix it! repair/replace all the old rubber parts.
check the seam of the gas tank as well, i've had one go bad-70 bug, it was hard to find but very stinky.
mfitzsimor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same thing happened to my '69. I replaced all of the fuel lines and gaskets and still smelled fuel - it was the large diameter filler hose the entire time.

I replaced that hose, cleaned the inside of my tank, touched up the paint on top of the tank, and replaced the seals around the filler door neck and gas cap.

No more smell!
86 quantum syncro
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: