Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1966 T3 SquareBack - Any Market?
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NewWaveDJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:15 pm    Post subject: 1966 T3 SquareBack - Any Market? Reply with quote

My Mother has been contemplating selling her 1966 T3 SquareBack that she got from her grandmother. It sat in storrage for about 10 years and is in excellent shape.

I need to get all the details from her but this is all I know, it has original deep blue paint, great interior, and 114K original miles.

I saw one on here for like $10,500. Is there an actual market for these cars? Someone told her eBay was the way to go. I have never sold an auto on there (only misc small items).

Any help would be apprecieated. Thank you.

RYAN E. GALLAGHER
Spokane, Washington
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Classifieds Feedback
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there is a market for the T-3. But $10,500 is a stretch.
I gave a 6 pack of Guiness beer for my '66 Fastback. It did need some work, but it ran. And I only gave $230 for my T-3 Ghia, but it needs a LOT of work.
If you can post some pictures of it, maybe we can give a better idea of what it is worth.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Anniehum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid $400 for Savanna but she needed new injectors. I paid
$70 for the parts car. After sitting for 10 years there may be some fuel issues, gasket issues or there may be no issues at all if it was in a garage in Spokane. Hot and dry in the summer and cold and dry in the winter.
Cheers
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 T3 SquareBack - Any Market? Reply with quote

NewWaveDJ wrote:
I saw one on here for like $10,500. Is there an actual market for these cars?

The one that was 10.5K here (this one http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=143494) was a special model. It had the Pigalle interior option that was only offered for about 5 months. The fact that it's been here for about 2 months ought to tell you something about what it's really worth.

FU#3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there is a market for Squarebacks.

The reason that particular '66 is $10,500 is because it is a rare combination - A Black car with with an all-red interior that was used for only 5 months. There are only a few of those cars known to exist. It is still too much, that is why it has not sold. In my opinion, it is priced at about double what it is worth.

A better comparison might be a '67 Squareback I owned a couple years ago. I purchased it from the second owner for $2300. It had 110,000 original miles and was in mint condition overall with only 1 small spot of rust. Dealer rebuilt engine, rebuilt transmission, etc.. It had not be driven much in many years but needed minimal work to be operational again. I consider that to be "a good deal".

If you have a Blue '66, the color is "VW Blue," a dark blue. Very nice color.

If you can decide on a price, it would be better to use this site rather than eBay. If you have no idea or think eBay might return more money, use eBay. eBay is random when it comes to cars.

If you can get some photos or provide more information, the people here can give you a better estimate on the value. You should look the car over for rust in the normal places - under the battery, the tops and bottoms of the front fenders, and the floor pans.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NewWaveDJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is in great shape.. no rebilt engine... runs good. The only part that rusted was the front left (fender? not a car buff). But she has a perfect replacecement for it.

I know she has the original factory maunal that came with it in mint condition (if that helps at all).

I will get some photos and post them on here. Is there a cost to post a classified?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Classifieds on this site are free. One advantage over eBay. I think eBay is $80 right now (if the car sells).

If you want to post some pictures first without posting an ad, you can post them in the Gallery. Click on Gallery above to enter that area.

You can then link to the pictures from this thread. Here's some help on how to do that:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6

It's good that she still has the original owner's manual for the historic value of the car but the manual itself is not worth a lot of money.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: