Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1776 c25 cam cab help
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
guystclair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:47 pm    Post subject: 1776 c25 cam cab help Reply with quote

I just had a 1776 single port engine built with a German forged crank and a c25 scat cam installed running a stock pic 30 carb and stock exhaust. any suggestions or recommendations to make it run good, the last engine that was in it was a 1600sp now with a broken crank....oh yeah, it's a 1970 hitop bus.
Please no smart ass comments about getting rid of the bus please.
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get rid of the stock carb and exhaust.

Not a smart ass comment.
guystclair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what would you suggest? are there any options other then dual carbs?... not a big fan of them, yeah I know i should of thought of that before building the engine
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a really mild cam and it should be OK with the stock carb and exhaust but it would rev easer if you replaced the exhaust system with a 1 3/8" Header. Usually people run the Engle W-100 cam when doing a pretty stock set-up, It has more lift than the Scat C25 camshaft.
But yeah. After having done it I would agree. Dual Carbs really wake a stockish engine up. Consider 1.25 Ratio Rockers! And I guess since it's a single port the Dual ICT carbs on a pare of single port manifolds is about all you can do for it. I had a 67 beetle with a single port 1585cc engine and the W-100 cam and it really would move that little bug around nicely. I tried several different carbs and settled for a PICT 28 40 horse Solex carb as it got the best gas milage and had good torque. But I tried a single Solex PBIC 32 Porsche early 356 carb normally used in pairs on it and "Wow" it really came alive even with the stock manifold. Had to plug the air correction Jet though to get it rich enough.
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idle will always be rough with that carb. It should have dual 2 barrels and an exhaust to match.

Why aren't you a fan of duals? I know from experience that if you tune them right, with a GOOD high-end linkage like a CSP bellcrank or JKM bellcrank and quality filters, you'll set them once and forget them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1776 c25 cam cab help Reply with quote

guystclair wrote:
I just had a 1776 single port engine built with a German forged crank and a c25 scat cam installed running a stock pic 30 carb and stock exhaust. any suggestions or recommendations to make it run good, the last engine that was in it was a 1600sp now with a broken crank....oh yeah, it's a 1970 hitop bus.
Please no smart ass comments about getting rid of the bus please.

Hate to tell you but that's a mismatch of parts. There are three ways to make it run "better"

1) Change to a stock cam.

2) Change to dual port heads

3) Give it more carburation----progressive or dual 34's

The way you have it now will make it very difficult to tune.

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You said:
"I just had a 1776 single port engine built with a German forged crank and a c25 scat cam installed"
So honestly I do not think you want to tear the motor back down to change out the cam.
So Dual single barrel carbs, 1.25 ratio rockers, and some sorta exhaust. Those can be done without removing the engine or disassembly of it.
It will wake it up and have the low end you need on the hi top bus.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1776 c25 cam cab help Reply with quote

30 years ago I rebuilt my dad's 71' bus engine with a C25 and everything else stock, it ran very well. It did improve when we put a 4-1 and single QP on it though.

Just remember to never EVER use the aluminum retainers that come in the "Cam Kits".

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also disagree on the combo not working as such. It can run quite OK, if a few things are taken into consideration.

1. Carburetion. - I was never a fan of the 30 pict, unless it sat on a 13 or 1500 engine at the most. A progressive carb - can - work well. But in a bus, and on a sgl. port,... not an easy task, and there are other parts involved which makes the conversion less interesting. If you want to stay with a stockish carburetion, here is one way of doing it, which work well. I have done it several times on similar comboīs:
Buy a set of Empi sgl port end castings, and also the CB/Empi stock carb center section (or find a good used one from a stock dual port 1600. Also get a good 34 mm PICT carb. Get the venturi machined out to 28 mm (or buy one from John C. He may even be able to get all the parts fro you) Grind and massage the end castings to fit (Itīs an Empi part Wink )
Somewhat dependant on CR a.o. things you should begin with this jetting: 55 idle, 140- 150 IAC. (Some carbs already have 140. So be aware) Z60 or Z80 max E tube, and 140 main jet.
Use a 205 SVDA distributor from a 1600 dual port bus engine code AD & AS. I forgot the suffix on the distributor.

If your stock muffler is a JP Group (Dansk) its not worth a damn for anythin gelse than stock 1600 at the most. Hate to say it, but thatīs the way it is. Embarassed If it is a Leistritz or Ernst, you can get by. So, yes, a 1 3/8" header will be a good cheap choice.
Or this one http://www.ahnendorp.com/VW-Kaefer-Typ-1-Motorente...uff-1.html This one is way more silent than the Vintage counterpart, and delivers at least the same power/torque increase, often better. But its not shiny, I know.

Installing 1,25 rockers can be a good thing to aid in a better filling of the cylinder. BUT ONLY ON THE INTAKE!! The duration and lift on the exhaust is plenty on a sgl port. So adding lift to the exhaust will only create an overscavenging issue and will make you loose torque below approx 2800 rpm. along with lesser fuel efficiency.

Heavily dependant on heads and CR. this can give you power in the window of 68 - 75 hp and 145 Nm torque +/- about 5%.
This will also, and actually more important, make the engine a good deal more driveable, because of a wider powerband.

Hope this helps.

T
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
guystclair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow! lots of information to study on Thanks for all your input! will look into carbs and exhaust to start.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: