Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

To convert to RHD or not convert
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
roymartian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Bally!
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they are rivetnuts, and are not reinforced in that area, would be worried that the belt point will not hold up to crash forces.....
roymartian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Eric,

Yep good point, I am talking about pedal assembly to tunnel not anchors for seat belts.

Not got to my seat belt solution yet...

Thanks,
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With reference to the conversation in this thread regarding seat belt mounts, can anyone please give me the distance from the pedal assembly to the best place to fit tunnel mounted seat belt mounts? This thread gives a good clue:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=496696&highlight=seat+belt
but is the handbrake on a 62 in the same place as on my 51?

The technical bulletins referred to by Eric and Barb:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/techbulletins/z14.php
give some nice period options but I am in the 'fortunate' position to have had the closing panel off the pan for other repairs so whilst it is off we might as well weld in some seat belt mount reinforcement plates with captive nuts - but where to fit them?

Cheers, Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PFN wrote:
Seatbelts? Don't think putting them in these ancient vehicles will save you. To quote the Church of the Sub-Genius "The World May End Tomorrow, and You Might Die."

I've been driving VWs with myself, my Mother, my Grandparents and my kids and no seatbelts for the past 20 years and we're all still here. Wink

To paraphrase the despised Ralph Nader, the most common cause of death in the Volkswagen Beetle is ejection from the car, and our early car's door latches leave a lot to be desired.

As for RHD, the early cars were designed for simple conversions, so build it the way you want it.

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Nevada51
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day, my vote is for RHD conversion given it's so easy to do and easily reversible.

I just had Sasha at Delux fit 3 point retractable belts to my '54 and he did an excellent job. I have a LHD Ghia so know about driving a LHD on the left side of the road and I was also recently in an accident in an oval that was written off (and it had 3 point retractable belts fitted). I'm in Eltham. Pm me if you want to check out the job he did. I am sure you'll know the car Smile

Cam
lowdown55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:34 am    Post subject: rhd Reply with quote

just completed a rhd conversion on my oval,i love rhd as this is my second one,one original ,one converted…. Cool ….
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: