Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Okrasa Special
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SplitPersonality
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally love this thread and process - thumbs up Steve!

On the rear end....I realize you want to go period correct "904"-style "straight cut" on the styling...and that is a great thought and would be super cool..

But / and if you just can not get it to work with the Ghia roof and wheel location...you might need to / wan to think outside the box and go for a totally different rear end treatment...

Here is one example:
My car, the "HPD Special" was hand built in Sweden during 1958-60 on a 1949 VW chassis shortened to 356 wheel base. Windshield is from T1 Ghia and roof is mainly from Saab 92. Rear window from Peugeot 203. The front design is similar to the Okrasa Special (but yours is much better proportioned!) .... while the rear end is more 356 Abarth Carrera type...smooth and curved. The rear end is the best part of my car I think - it might be an idea for the Okrasa Special as well?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

...just a suggestion.... You are doing great!
kiwisteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow that's amazing. I'd read about the car recently and got inspiration.

Drum roll please... I've finally managed to complete the model work and got my designs "down on paper" so to speak. Here's the finished product - this is about as far as I can take things design-wise (run out of talent), so I will be boxing up the model and sending it to Al this weekend. I mucked about with the door gap lines (tried designers tape, then pen, then went back to designers tape: it's too thick (3mm) but it gives a lovely line), and I finally settled on the window treatment: did just a line with red windows, then silver, before settling on black which seems to work best. I'm delighted with the how it's turned out - if Barry made this I'd be thrilled; no doubt Al will make it look like a three year old's attempt! But at least I feel I've had a hand in the design of a period race car Smile

kiwisteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All boxed up and ready to send to Al... looking forward to seeing his handiwork!

63Ragtop NZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks good to me!

well done.
kiwisteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry it's been such a long time in updating the thread on this. too much going on! well after much head scratching we've ended up with a final design. thanks to Al Brown, who has brought a real professionalism to the final design. Now we've just got to build it Laughing

Oh, and here's the final colour scheme, obviously with the silver strip up over the roof. This is the early McLaren colour scheme, used before Bruce went to orange. A nod to another kiwi albeit one who was a more prolific racer and manufacturer!

bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good Steve - you must be getting rather excited at the prospect of it being finished - it's still a long way off but having the design sorted is a big milestone to have achieved Smile

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JWDII
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks good!! I keep thinking Ferrari dino the more I look at it. Smile
kiwisteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn I'll take any comparison with a Ferrari Dino!
JWDII
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiwisteve wrote:
Damn I'll take any comparison with a Ferrari Dino!

Applause
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

usariemen wrote:
I pictured this one today. Also unfinished since a while.
The lines where not bad.

Awesome, so now we have a "poor man's porsche" (the 914), a poor man's Jaguar E-type (see above), and a poor man's Ferrari! Laughing

But seriously, I love this thread and I'm impressed, it just works like a champ!
Personally I would have sticked to the first tail design that was hammered out in aluminum (the one with the sleek ass Very Happy ) That looks classic. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kiwisteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a small step forward but a big step for the Okrasa Special this weekend… (sorry to steal someone else's line) we dusted off the special to begin transferring all the measurements from the model to the wooden buck….

measuring up the model as accurately as we can: depth, height and length from the rear axle line:

then transferred onto a large sheet of paper which will be used as the reference for making the stations for the buck:

Good progress and we hope to accelerate progress from here!
henry roberts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great to see some news.

btw, nice "roll around" wheels.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kiwisteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wink
mightymouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

love when this thread comes up. Very Happy

Note to EVERYONE.
Know your ZDDP levels or you WILL lose a cam and lifters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
orb666
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way Hey, great to see it progressing Steve Very Happy

Orb
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Classifieds Feedback
kiwisteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the Okrasa Special has moved forward significantly in the past few weeks. When I last wrote we had finished the model and had started translating the model dimensions onto paper and then we were going to transcribe them from the paper onto plywood stations, that would then be assembled into a wooden buck.

Progress was slow but steady, but it meant it was going to be a long old winter of measurement and noting! So I decided to shortcut the process - some might argue it's cheating but this project has been running for seven years and I'm desperate to now finish the car. So I called in 3D Engineers who do this sort of thing for a living - check out their website and have a good rummage around the site, it's wonderful. Aside from being a thoroughly nice bloke who seemed very knowledgeable, Stuart (the owner) had some impressive credentials, having done scanning and buck work for Ferrari 250GTO, Jaguar XJ13, AM DBR2, etc.

Stuart turned up with his bespoke 3D scanning equipment and spent a day scanning the model. He was thoroughly impressed with the model, remarking that it's the furthest progressed design work that he's come across since setting the company up. Stuart also scanned the chassis and roof, to ensure the model would line up with the existing reference points. Fortunately they matched almost perfectly.

After a few calls with Barry to clarify details such as the model rising above the existing rear window line on the chassis itself being correct, Stuart supplied a series of images that were sent to the CNC machine shop last week. Stuart is due to deliver and install the finished buck on the chassis this coming Wednesday, and Barry can start rolling ally! Enjoy the images. http://3dengineers.co.uk

bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks amazing Steve - I cannot wait to see the bucks in place Smile

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kiwisteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feels like we're beginning to accelerate up through the gears now and really getting some pace to this project now. Yesterday Stuart turned up from 3D Engineers in a little Mercedes car and like the Tardis proceeded to unpack more than it seemed possible to contain in such a little car. It did really look like a giant jigsaw puzzle, except this one came with a handy man who knew how to piece it all together!

It took a couple of hours to construct but it all went together first time with little fettling.

Meanwhile Barry had stripped the Okrasa Special back to a bare chassis, reminding me how purposeful and beautifully designed and constructed the chassis is.

And then the big moment arrived, installing it on the car. Barry and I crossed our fingers a bit I think, praying it went on okay. Stuart on the other hand, having done this many a time before, jiggled, tweaked and fettled, knowing the thing would slot together like a pre-cut jigsaw.

And I must say it's a beautifully made jigsaw. The beauty of a CNC-machined buck created using the latest 3D scanning equipment means it's amazing accurate and smooth. The joints are all press-fit, the radius on curves perfect, and the angles all exact to the degree.

We'll start with her best side then…

Here we're still fiddling to get the height of the buck sorted on the chassis so it looks a little like the car has too much rake going on.

Rather annoyingly, in fact it's REALLY annoying, but the photos don't do the buck any justice whatsoever. I don't know if it's the flat light, my iPhone, or the fact that the buck is made up of a host of stations that don't work with the human eye very well (or a combination of all three things) but it works a whole lot better with a cover thrown over it.

Barry and I have a day or so worth of fettling to get the buck to sit 100% accurately on the chassis, and then it's onto wheeling ally. Hoping to have the body finished next week Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

I must thank Stuart, who owns 3D Engineers - lovely chap and hugely knowledgeable. It's businesses like his that allow for historic racing and classic car restoration to continue to flourish in this country and make it world class. His story is a typical one: he decided to roll the dice and leave corporate life after he saw a niche in the car restoration world. It took him five years rather than the planned one to establish the business but after tentative steps he's now carved himself a solid place as an integral part of the coach-building world. Well done Stuart.
Jack O'Neill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiwisteve wrote:
His story is a typical one: he decided to roll the dice and leave corporate life after he saw a niche in the car restoration world. It took him five years rather than the planned one to establish the business but after tentative steps he's now carved himself a solid place as an integral part of the coach-building world. Well done Stuart.

...aaaand I guess I found my new career! Where do I sign?

Awesome project, man. I lurk around it a lot, and love when there's news on it. But after those last pics, I wish I could enter my screen and lend you guys a hand assembling that!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
henry roberts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome progress. this will be something else when completed.

a quick question. with the design of the chassis, how are you supposed to get the gearbox out?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Page 24 of 30

Jump to: