Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

It's Back, It's back, after almost 50 years the Tow'd is ...
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iguana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:38 am    Post subject: It's Back, It's back, after almost 50 years the Tow'd is ... Reply with quote

Well I was over at Meyers Manx the other day talking to the main man of the Buggy World and his lovely wife and I am very pleased to say It's back ..

My wife was not so pleased as of course being as nutty as I am I managed to find some cash and quickly fit Kit "TOW'D - 001 - 14" into the back of the Subaru and speed home before Bruce changed his mind.

After over 45 years of lying dormant Meyers Manx have decided it is time to once again bring to market the Meyers Tow’d.

The original marketing line of the Meyers Tow’d was simply “It’s the toughest, simplest and lowest-cost off-road buggy yet created “ and even with so many years gone by this still rings true.

Unlike the other Kits in the Meyers Manx line up the Tow’d is aimed firmly at the DIY Builder with the skills and desire to build an effective On and Off-Road Buggy with the factory support of Meyers Manx as well as the unmistakable lines and history of the Meyers Tow’d.

The initial offering will be the iconic Meyers Tow’d Tub complete with Meyers Manx Build Plate, Decals and Build Instructions. Over the following months additional kit items will be released with the culmination of a complete line up of all Meyers Tow’d Parts available for purchase by Jan 1 2015.

In order to keep costs and supply times down the Meyers Tow’d will be available in Primer Gel Coat Only and will require sanding and painting prior to assembly if you are that way inclined.

With the starting kit being just $1200 for the Tub, Hood, Decals, Build Plate and Instructions I thought it was a great way to get another piece of history.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/url]
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does the 14" signify? I hope its a couple inches longer and wider
Iguana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BL3Manx wrote:
What does the 14" signify? I hope its a couple inches longer and wider

lol the 14 refers to the production year

Tow'd = Tow'd

001 = Body number 1 of this run

14 = 2014

Nothing as complicated as the last Tow'd Numbers.

As for being wider .. this one is the same dimensions as the original.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No frame? These aren't built on a VW pan though I have seen a couple cases where the rear torsion housing was cut long to retain the VIN.
Tom_Kathleen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce & this guy should get together - http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1594571 new body & new chassis. Tom
Manxter #16, 1968 Meyers Manx & Kick-Out SS #16 (WIP)
Manx Club & CVA
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. Nice thing about a kit like that is that I can hang it from the wall or ceiling of my shop until I am ready to build it....I think I know what my next project is.
Iguana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
No frame? These aren't built on a VW pan though I have seen a couple cases where the rear torsion housing was cut long to retain the VIN.

The entire kit will be done before Jan 1 2015 and offered for sale in several different configurations and levels of completeness.

The complete kit which is what was refered to as Tow'd 44 will be the end state and then people can select to purchase the Tow'dster kit on top of that which is the fenders etc.

The market for the kit is DIY so Meyers Manx will be doing everything they can to make it appeal to people who really want to do as much as they can but know that if they get stuck then help is an email away and if it gets real hard the UPS guy can just deliver the part.

Think of it like a Buggy Hamburger, the Tub and Hood are the Buns and you can put as much or as little on it as your like and although it is still a hamburger it may taste and look a bit different to the next one.

Here is a picture of my old Tow'd Kit 44 with the Tow'ster add ons. The only part not shown which would be included is the Gas Tank as it was off to the side and the windscreen.

Iguana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom_Kathleen wrote:
Bruce & this guy should get together - http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1594571 new body & new chassis. Tom

The Meyers Tow'd Kit has its own chassis and it will be available from Meyers Manx BUT as said the beautiful thing is that the owner can do what they want and if that guy makes a chassis that they like better then away they go and buy one of him and start building.

Looking at his pictures though I would hope that isn't his completed setup and if it is the customer would need to do some work before it would suit a Tow'd
l8sho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great! The Tow'd has always been one of my personal favorites, in part because of its scarcity. But.....you've just devalued all of the existing Tow'ds.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Iguana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

late-show wrote:
That's great! The Tow'd has always been one of my personal favorites, in part because of its scarcity. But.....you've just devalued all of the existing Tow'ds.

Thats funny, you see the thing with the Meyers Manx and Bruce in particular is that he is not driven by making $$$$$$ and words like rare and devalue.

He is driven by that smile people have when they build their buggy, the memories it gives to many generations, the shear enjoyment people have enjoying what he has created and what they have done with it.

When it comes to the Tow'd the reintroduction was not based on making money or devaluing existing stock, it was based on giving a people an option to build what turned out to be a super sweet cool and enjoyable car.

I am sorry if you feel that has devalued what you don't seem to own, if it will make you feel any better I will sell you one of my Original Meyers Tow'ds for $20k and you can help me pump up the market value Very Happy

You can't devalue an experience once it becomes a memory and if you want to build a buggy as an financial investment I would reconsider your motivation.

There is no price to put on the experience of driving a buggy and watching kids of all ages point and smile ... that is the real investment and return.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, 2015 is not that far off, (where is 2014 slipping away to?). Will be a lot of work ramping up to offer full kits.

I will have to keep tuned in so that when some kits come east, I get on board for some body parts for mine.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
l8sho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iguana: I can't disagree with anything you've said, but you've ignored my point. How many comments have you seen right here on The Samba (and other forums) about the search for Tow'ds that can possibly be resurrected? People happily share every find and their willingness to pay premium prices for what they would normally pass up if it was anything other than a Tow'd.

Consider anything that has had its value increase because of scarcity. Take an extreme example: The $20 Gold Piece (Double Eagle) was last minted in 1933. The gold content is less than an ounce, worth $1200 to $1400 in the fluctuating gold market. But because of its scarcity, a Double Eagle sold several years ago for over $7.5M. If the US Mint started restamping them tomorrow, what do you suppose it would be worth?

Thanks for the offer of a Tow'd. But, No Thank You. I have a Sand Hopper that I am rebuilding and am very happy with. Personally, I think, in some respects, it is an improved Tow'd. But it is unlikely to ever be worth what a genuine early Meyers Tow'd is. And do you know what? I don't care!

As I said at the beginning, I can't disagree with what you say. But if you can't see my point, I see no reason for further debate.

Last edited by l8sho on Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:12 am; edited 1 time in total
greenmanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a better comparison might be the effect to prices for original Manx 1 and 2's when Meyers Manx released the Classic Manx in 2000 and the Kickout more recently. It seems from looking at prices for 1 and 2;s, they went up after the release. So it will be interesting to see who's theory (increase or decrease in value) holds up. IMHO the originals won't be hurt much, if at all.
Iguana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

late-show wrote:
Iguana: I can't disagree with anything you've said, but you've ignored my point. How many comments have you seen right here on The Samba (and other forums) about the search for Tow'ds that can possibly be resurrected? People happily share every find and their willingness to pay premium prices for what they would normally pass up if it was anything other than a Tow'd.

I can see your point, I guess the thing with the Tow'd is that it has always seemed to be just like the SR and the price has never really gone up. The pain point for a Tow'd seems to be nothing more than $10k for a nice one and a crappy one starts around $1000 and goes up. Most guys who own Tow'd use them in ways that a collectable or Rare car might not.

There are more than a few Chassis out there without tubs and since what we are talking about here is fibreglass I have never understood the original thing etc as everything other than the plug is a copy. Therefore, apart from maybe the chemical variations in materials over the years there is no difference between this body and body 492 which is the green one I have.

That being said the New Tow'd is not trying to be an old Tow'd and the New Tow'd Chassis will not be the same as the Old Tow'd chassis as it has taken into account all the lessons learned over the years and applied them to the design. The Tub and Hood are also only being sold in Primer as the mold has some marks due to age and the Tub and Body gets some transfer on it during production.

A question for you though and keep in mind I have never actually seen a Sand Hopper in the flesh but what do you feel are the improvements it has over a Tow'd ?
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greenmanx wrote:
I think a better comparison might be the effect to prices for original Manx 1 and 2's when Meyers Manx released the Classic Manx in 2000 and the Kickout more recently. It seems from looking at prices for 1 and 2;s, they went up after the release. So it will be interesting to see who's theory (increase or decrease in value) holds up. IMHO the originals won't be hurt much, if at all.

I agree.

Since the C2C a year ago, I have seen a up take on the interest in Tow'ds. An original will always be an original production run, no matter how many new sets are produced. If anything, the originals will go up in price, and one day I may kick myself for not taking Iguana up on the $ 20K offer.

I am planning on heavily modifying my original Tow'd, but this has me re-thinking that plan. Keep my original, original. Then buy a new Tow'd to modify.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
l8sho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iguana: You may well be right. Getting Tow'ds back to the market may increase interest and ultimately increase the value of the genre. greenmanx and joes.... have made that point as well. I certainly see the validity of the idea. Makes sense!

Another thing that makes sense (if I understand you correctly), the new body parts and tub can be used to restore original Tow'ds Great concept!! Now there will be a source for those impossible-to-find parts and, maybe, some of those early Tow'ds will find new life.

People who are not knowledgeable usually mistake the Sand Hopper for a Tow'd. It superficially appears to be almost identical. In fact, I'm told that most of the fiberglass is interchangeable including the Tow'dster components. Haven't tried it myself. Okay, the improvements: the first, most obvious, difference is the frame side rails have been reinforced with triangulated tubing that is only slightly smaller than the main rails. The next obvious thing is the dash. Frankly I've always considered the Tow'd dash a bit on the ugly side. Functional, but not terribly interesting, and not up to the rest of the vehicle's design. The Sand Hopper dash is a bit smaller but contoured all the way across in front of the driver (that has presented some serious challenges in my rebuild). Also, the Sand Hopper has a full length tunnel in place of the metal panel of the Tow"d. There are less obvious changes as well, such as the fuel tank has a completely different mounting system which allows the use of an off-the-shelf tank.

I've never attempted to post a photo on The Samba. I will try to do that when I get a bit further along. I'm working in an older, tiny, one-car garage and there really isn't room to take decent photos.

Been an interesting discussion. I've enjoyed it.
Iguana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback it is always interesting to see what others take on things are.

I can see validity in a lot of what is being said and at the end of the day if the re-release of the Tow'd helps put another Tow'd on the road then I am happy to see it happen.

As far as Tow'd Dash's go the offering will be similar to the Original Tow'd as it allows for fitment issues encountered dependent on where the hood is places relative to the steering support column. This is why is was designed to slide in and out so to speak.

With the advent of CNC Technology there are plenty of options and once we get to that stage I will put a few of my Tow'd Dash DXF Files out so if people want to do their own thing it is a cheap and easy option.

In regards to the rest of the chassis etc the new Tow'd will have a semi truss built in as well as several other nice features which will hopefully meet the majority of peoples needs. If they find it doesn't then that is what Kit 22 is all about, buy the unwelded raw components and assemble them how you think it should be done and modify as you see fit.

When I built my Blue Tow'd I cut the majority of the factory brackets off and made new ones to suit what I was trying to achieve, being able to purchase raw product not welded and do it from there would have saved me a lot of time. I made a new tow'd style roll cage that was 3 1/2" higher to clear my melon and dropped the rear torsion 2" and back 1 1/2" to clear the 5 speed etc. Does that make it any less a Tow'd .. Dunno but it makes it fun to drive Very Happy

The New Tow'd chassis is being designed from the ground up. It will undergo several design reviews and bring some new technology to the table such as FEA and CAD to ensure it does what it is suppose to do safely and with the required level of simplicity.

If nothing else it will be a great journey and well worth the cost of admission from my point of view.

[/img]
Link
l8sho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iguana: Very nice! Obviously your skills and resources are far superior to my own. For example, I don't weld, so I have had to farm out that kind of work when it was necessary. That gets difficult and expensive really fast. So, I must work with what I have and try to use creative problem solving. And it definitely does not always work!!!! But as I've told a friend recently, that's part of the fun.

Absolutely agree, anything that adds to pleasure and involvement of others, can't possibly be wrong.

Good luck with your many projects.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joescoolcustoms wrote:
Since the C2C a year ago, I have seen a up take on the interest in Tow'ds. An original will always be an original production run, no matter how many new sets are produced. If anything, the originals will go up in price, and one day I may kick myself for not taking Iguana up on the $ 20K offer.

I am planning on heavily modifying my original Tow'd, but this has me re-thinking that plan. Keep my original, original. Then buy a new Tow'd to modify.

I followed the minimal cutting goal when I got the buggy body I wanted. I'm a big fan of the Berry Mini-T and with some help from this list an owner of a faded, never cut or installed, body sold it to me. I have worked hard to minimize cutting while building it in style. I actually have an inventory of all the holes drilled or cut in the fiberglass. There are some compromises I made (headlights with built in turn signals), and a few I couldn't make (tail lights license plate have to be on the body to look right.)

Now these are buggies -- personal FUN cars, so to each their own. Still, I think that saving some of the originals may be at least honorable, and at most profitable. So, please think about what you do, but don't let some vague notion of future value dictate what you do. Many people enjoy automotive history, but YOU have to enjoy your piece too!
mekeys
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An ad for an old magazine DUNE BUGGIES from 1968
Can you believe things could have ever been that cheap..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: