Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil temperature sender - best/easiest place to locate?
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Clark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:04 am    Post subject: Oil temperature sender - best/easiest place to locate? Reply with quote

Hi,

I need to check the oil temperature on my re-built standard 1600cc engine, where can I locate an oil sender?

Thanks

Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You actually don't 'need' to... Very Happy

but if you must, the best place is on the flat on the right-hand side of the case, to the right of the oil pump. This will measure the temp at the oil's 'high tide' so you will measure the oil at its hottest, straight from the heads. Drilling the hole to accept the sender unit should be done prior to engine assembly, sorry...

Easy alternatives are the drain plug (vulnerable but handy for short-term checking) or a variable-range (not 104C) sender in the dipstick tube.

EDIT: sorry, I just realised this was a 'type 3' question and the flat I mentioned is where your oil filler tube enters the case

Last edited by VWCOOL on Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's also a sender that goes in the oil relief location, never used it personally though
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: