Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

71 Super brake question.....
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cockyrudy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:30 pm    Post subject: 71 Super brake question..... Reply with quote

About 3 months ago, I brought back to life a super that had sat for over 10 years. Part of what needed done was a complete brake job which was handled by my local bug shop. Today I noticed that when I apply the brakes, the red light on the dash lights up. What does that indicator light mean?
mikeonthebike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That means take it back to the shop. Check your fluid level 1st. They probably weren't bled properly. That is part of the brake job. Or maybe used cheap parts that are defective.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the brakes feel and work fine it just means one of the master cylinder switches isnt working
cockyrudy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brakes seem to be working fine. I'll check the fluid level tomorrow.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more complete answer. The bug came with two sorta separate braking systems. The front brakes are on a separate hydraulic system from the back brakes. There is a separate brake switch for each system. When one brake system activates the brakelight and the other does not it is an indication that one of the brake systems is failing. Most likely you just need to adjust the brakes shoes all around.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally, everyone may be correct. But, considering you had the brake work done three months ago, also, I'd look for a failed brake-warning switch in one of the circuits, or one circuit in the MC has failed.

I'm assuming you had your brakes adjusted 3 months ago when the brakes were done, and that your reservoir is not low.

To be on the safe side, look under each wheel (from the inside) and see if any slave cylinder has been leaking. I doubt it, though, because you say the brakes work fine.

Tim
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3-months

Brake shoes need to be re-adjusted, will wear down to fit the drums within a few weeks, normal.

I'd bleed the brakes too, because of the light being on.

A real brake rebuild from a shop SHOULD include a brake readjustment, theses are not self-adjusting brakes.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: