Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

EMPI VS. CB Disc Brake Conversion Kits
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: EMPI disc brakes Reply with quote

I'm just starting on the EMPI four-wheel disc installation, and found this thread. Some good tips, for sure.

I also searched on youtube and located a video from EMPI that provides some tips:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rustBbto50

I'll post my updates in the Late Beetle forum, as mine will be a 4-bolt installation, although I do have '66-and earlier short axles.

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
Kjell Roar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a picture of how I mounted the CB wide 5 discs on my oval (left side)l.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Smile

My car, Aug. 4th, 1955 / an early 56: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=610438
StevieC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are the spindles/calipers the same on the 5 lug and 4 lug versions

I have 4 lug and I'd like to swap out the 4 lug rotors for 5 wide rotors, would that work?
67Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just assembled a EMPI wide 5 front disc kit, with drop spindles. Ordered them from Carters Aircooled a few months ago, and everything went together perfectly. Don't remember the measurements, but in my kit the interference on the bearings races and bores were perfect. Just have to figure out how the speedometer cable thing is going to work, otherwise quite happy on the fit, finish, and overall product. Have yet to install on the car however.
steve n
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:09 am    Post subject: Disc Brakes Reply with quote

I have CB performance on the front of my 64 Bug, drums still on the rear. I am very happy with the set up. Stops on a dime, ok, a nickel. If I were to do brakes again "Airkewled" has the "Bad-Ass Brakes" and they seem to be...Bad Ass. If I ever leave the drum set up on my 61 it would be Airkewled.
pilotricky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a problem with my EMPI rear disc brakes. I have the four hole rotors at all four wheels. I am now in the process of putting in all the brake lines...all went well until I get to the lines to the rear calipers. The threaded hole for the brake line in the rear calipers is the wrong thread! It is a coarse thread...all the other lines, and front calipers is the same as stock VW. I cannot connect the brake line to the rear calipers because of the thread difference, (too coarse of thread). I don't know why it would be different? Now what? Any ideas od his? Adapter? Custom line? or? Thanks.
dcarlson12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI VS. CB Disc Brake Conversion Kits Reply with quote

Sorry no answer for pilotricky.

What ever happened to Motomazzo?

Also, I see AC offers this kit:
http://www.socalautoparts.com/product_info.php/ind...05-p-13591

This would suit my wife's 66 Bug.

My concern is that it doesn't use a dual circuit master cylinder.
I thought it is necessary/best to use a dual circuit and have a residual pressure valve on the rear drum brake circuit. i.e this applies regardless of what brand of disk (or is it disc?) brakes one uses on the front when keeping the original drums on the rear.

??????

Thks,
Dwight
Dogend
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI VS. CB Disc Brake Conversion Kits Reply with quote

FYI
The EMPI disc brake conversion (four wheels) - with Parking Brake for my type-1 VW, weighs 68 lbs more then the stock drum set up. Crying or Very sad
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI VS. CB Disc Brake Conversion Kits Reply with quote

Just finished installing my empi disc brakes on all 4 wheels from carcraft. Nothing out of the ordinary just the simple tweaks as mentioned. So far I'm pleased, but won't be on the road for several months.
Flat4BRM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI VS. CB Disc Brake Conversion Kits Reply with quote

Interesting thread...albeit an old thread (hopefully someone out there can help)...

I'm considering purchasing an EMPI wide-5 front disk brake conversion kit for a '63 Type 1 I've been working on. I have a couple of questions regarding fitment (although they may have been answered / alluded to already):

1) Will my stock VW 15" solid wheels bolt up to the rotors with no caliper clearance problems?

2) I hear of issues with the stock speedometer dust cap not working with the EMPI kit...anyone have an EMPI part # available for this fix?

3) I already installed CB Performance 2.5" dropped spindles (drum brake style)...would the EMPI disk brake kit bolt up to these spindles?

And finally...

4) With the CB dropped spindles and disk brake kit (remember, EMPI claims a "zero-offset"), realistically how much of an increase in track width could I expect from this installation?

Again, hopefully someone out there would read this post and resurrect the thread...any help would be greatly appreciated.

- Built, not bought.

- Street is neat...support your local street rodders!

1966 L41 113 | 1965 L456 151 | 1963 L380 113 | 1954 L227 113 | 1949 L51 11A
apozzo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: EMPI VS. CB Disc Brake Conversion Kits Reply with quote

Hi Guys....I'm Stefano and I'm from Italy.
Could you help me?.....I'm going crazy with this conversion kit!
I want to ask you a question about the thread of the two calipers mounting holes on the calipers brackets! I've attached a picture to explane which holes I refer to! In my kit there are 4 mounting bolts (same lenght) that are M9x1.25, 13mm outer diameter and 55mm lenght. The problem is that the thread on this bolts has many play in the mounting holes on the brackets and this is not normal !!!! The holes on the caliper brackets seem to be around M10 thread! What do you think about? I could built handmade mounting bolts but I want to undestand what's wrong with my kit !!! Another question......could anyone attach the installation instructions?
Really thank you
Stefano (from italy)

Mdemaria
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: EMPI VS. CB Disc Brake Conversion Kits Reply with quote

DO NOT buy from So cal auto. AC industries brake conversion kits are terrible. MAJOR CASTING ISSUES!!!!!!Trust me I learned the hard way!!!
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: EMPI VS. CB Disc Brake Conversion Kits Reply with quote

Mdemaria wrote:
DO NOT buy from So cal auto. AC industries brake conversion kits are terrible. MAJOR CASTING ISSUES!!!!!!Trust me I learned the hard way!!!

Can you elaborate? Mine are just fine.
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI VS. CB Disc Brake Conversion Kits Reply with quote

Bryan67 wrote:
Mdemaria wrote:

Can you elaborate? Mine are just fine.

Same, mine were fine. To bad when there was an issue their service was not fine.
alindeman1989
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI VS. CB Disc Brake Conversion Kits Reply with quote

Mdemaria wrote:

I would also like elaboration, I was planning on getting their rear wide 5 zero offset kit for my 67 when it comes back in stock. Ive heard nothing but good things about it.
ZEKE65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: EMPI VS. CB Disc Brake Conversion Kits Reply with quote

My AC Industries disc brake kits worked well, except for the fact that I had to install a washer between the rear caliper brackets, and the mounting brackets which replace the drum backing plates. Otherwise the caliper bracket would lightly rub the outside of the rotor. I used a 10.9 alloy washer.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: EMPI VS. CB Disc Brake Conversion Kits Reply with quote

Mdemaria wrote:

Just look at that persons profile and all of his posts. The majority are that exact same post on multiple threads.
alindeman1989
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: EMPI VS. CB Disc Brake Conversion Kits Reply with quote

ZEKE65 wrote:
My AC Industries disc brake kits worked well, except for the fact that I had to install a washer between the rear caliper brackets, and the mounting brackets which replace the drum backing plates. Otherwise the caliper bracket would lightly rub the outside of the rotor. I used a 10.9 alloy washer.

Do you have a pic of this?
ZEKE65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI VS. CB Disc Brake Conversion Kits Reply with quote

If you look at this picture, the cadmium colored piece is the caliper bracket. It slides over the edge of the rotor disc, and bolts to the black back plate bracket which replaces the stock backing plate. I had to add a washer where the caliper bracket bolts to the black bracket, which spaced the caliper bracket outward.

toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI VS. CB Disc Brake Conversion Kits Reply with quote

alindeman1989 wrote:
Mdemaria wrote:

I would also like elaboration, I was planning on getting their rear wide 5 zero offset kit for my 67 when it comes back in stock. Ive heard nothing but good things about it.

It is a good kit, but So Cal's service is not that great. I recommend getting the kit from someone else like AA Performance.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 14

Jump to: