Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

how do you tune a holley bug spray 2100?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
froggie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:35 pm    Post subject: how do you tune a holley bug spray 2100? Reply with quote

have a 79 Bremen mini mark with a 1914cc. I cannot get it to idle. It will idle for a min then the carb floods and dies. I am a pro at tuning a solex carb but this is my first holley bug spray. I like the power it gives my engine just wish it would idle. Any advice?

funner than a bathtub full of fish hooks!
Howard 111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Search Engine is your friend. Search this forum.
E4ODnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are not going to want to here this, but there are a lot better choices now for aftermarket carbs than the Bug Spray. It is limited in how it can be tuned so the only thing it has going for it is that it will flow more air, but do you really need that? If you can get it to run to your satisfaction then good for you, but if you are having problems my advice would be to scrap it and go to something else, almost anything else.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you taken the idle jets out and cleaned them out? Are you running this carb on a individual runner manifold? on Most Holley Bug sprays the throttle shaft bushings are worn and you will have a vacuum leak, since this is basically a Holley 94 carb used on 1930's Fords and still being used today on hot rods it should not be hard to find some body to replace them pretty cheap.
If you say that it will idle for a short time and die, it might be a pluged float bowl vent, before you pull it apart try this... get it running a rev it up and slap a rag over the intake and pull it off before it dies, some time this will suck the dirt out of the jets and it will run better.
Don't let these guys make you think a Bug Spray is junk, once you dial them in they will run great just like they did 40 years ago, a little old school but then all carbs are, Weber IDF's were designed over 40 years ago too. If you want to mount a velocity stack on one get one for a Kadron they fit good.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Casey
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
Quokka42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long time since I had one, but earthquake knows what he is talking about. If you don't have the dreaded vacuum leak (there are several bushings and bearings about that can be fitted if you have someone who can machine it - there is plenty of metal,) they usually need a damn good clean.
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have bushing in them stock, they are 3/8" OD and if I remember right .274" ID. I have the reamer for it but I have not done it yet, I was working on a set of dual Bugsprays for a buddy of mine but it fell through, He wanted a old school look for a dune buggy he was building but he sold it.

Casey
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine didnt have bush as I recall. but if it's flooding that isant the issue, clean the needel&seat& fuel dilevery add a filter before the carb,clean out the carb.adjust the floats,check to be sure the float isant holding fuel(hole in it). as for doing the bushings.....hear is a bit of addvice. go to ebay..."K"line has a carb bushing kit that have all the reamers&some bushings.it's cheep,it's on clearance. the reamer is about $58 but the entire kit is about...$30 with the reamer in it. it's a self guided reamer so it go's straight.with a long self guide portion. but I doubt this is what you need.one of my bugsprays needed it. and they dont have "removeable idle jets" unless you count taking out the cluster.just some carb spray aimed down into the holes in the cluster will do just fine. the main jets are std holly stuff. there is also a perceys adjustable jet kit tht can be installed so you dont have to change jets just turn a screw.(speedway motors up in nebraska)
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: how do you tune a holley bug spray 2100? Reply with quote

Well, i have heard that the Holley bug spray 300 model is best suited for engines with a cc greater than 1800cc. The book "How to hotrod your aircooled vw engine" says that the 300 model will not work on near stock engines however, it does work well on higher displacement engines.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: how do you tune a holley bug spray 2100? Reply with quote

even the 300 cfm is a tiny carb.I really dont think that carb is 300 cfm....or they are rating it on a different scale.. FYI 2bbl&4bbl carbs are rated on different scales....(flowed at different rates to get the cfm rating.) I think the main issue is people not knowing how to tune a engine....and the bug spray is a pain to jet having to remove and reinstall. but there is a easyer jet kit for them that makes it eazer to do. but you do have to have real tuning skills not make beleave like most think they have. Shocked Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: