Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2100 Miles Later
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TSFR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:01 am    Post subject: 2100 Miles Later Reply with quote

It has been about 4 months since the "completion" and I've put on 2100 miles, been in 1 parade, been part of a few events and countless of smiles. There have been some bumps along the way, but luckily nothing completely catastrophic. I'm looking forward to Manx at the Beach!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I still have to paint my ultra-low-tech noise/clank canceling device Laughing

Aside from it marking its territory with a few drops of oil (horse power sweat) it really does run really good and I'm averaging around 23mpg. When I'm on road trips its just over 25mpg on the hwy. I drive it to work pretty regularly on nice days and have only had to dodge the rain twice. It doesn't matter what is going on in life, once I get behind the wheel all my problems seem to float away.

I couldn't be happier and have to give a big thanks to everyone here for the advice and guidance. I'm looking forward to meeting some folks at the beach Cool

Thanks,
Jeff

Manxter 2+2 #160
bim55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a nice looking buggy, and dependable too, you've got to love it, nice work.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andygere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking buggy, I particularly like your roll cage design. How about wrapping the bumper tube with fiberglass header wrap where the muffler interferes/rattles?

http://www.amazon.com/Fiberglass-Header-Wrap-Feet-inches/dp/B004FG8PP2

TSFR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andygere wrote:
Nice looking buggy, I particularly like your roll cage design. How about wrapping the bumper tube with fiberglass header wrap where the muffler interferes/rattles?

http://www.amazon.com/Fiberglass-Header-Wrap-Feet-inches/dp/B004FG8PP2

That's a possibility. I will look into that idea. The first thing I need to do is probably replace the pushrod tubes or reseat them somehow and then re adjust the valves. There seems like a lot of tapping going on. It may just be the exposed engine and hearing more things.

Thanks,
Jeff

Manxter 2+2 #160
manxvair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buggy looks great Jeff! Great job!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2100 miles! That is great, that means you are enjoying the buggy experience. Not many buggy's get driven that far in their entire life, much less in that short period of time.

Buggy on!

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rathbone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joescoolcustoms wrote:
2100 miles! That is great, that means you are enjoying the buggy experience. Not many buggy's get driven that far in their entire life, much less in that short period of time.

Buggy on!

You thinks so? I drove that far between October and April last year.
(o\_i_/o) what you've just said ... is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul - Mr. Oblaski, Principal
Buggy Brian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TSFR wrote:
The first thing I need to do is probably replace the pushrod tubes or reseat them somehow and then re adjust the valves. There seems like a lot of tapping going on. It may just be the exposed engine and hearing more things.

I have a bunch of push rod tubes I can bring up with me, if you want them. I got them with a batch of parts I bought a while back. I got a box of 96 of them (no gaskets), and don't mind giving up 8 to a buggy buddy. I'll be heading back tomorrow afternoon.

I also have some expandable aluminum ones I purchased, but decided not to use. I would actually need to get some money for those, as I shelled out $60 for them.

The crushable ones I could give you.....
-(Scarlett) Manx Resorter #12 (R0012B931S) on 1969 chassis.
-Original Home built buggy that started all. I learned to drive in it back in 1985.
Manx Club Member # 4436

Check out my Loretta here: http://www.manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=3365Manx

Scarlett is getting a Makeover! http://manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=3745&p=24983#p24983
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rathbone wrote:
joescoolcustoms wrote:

Buggy on!

You thinks so? I drove that far between October and April last year.

You have to put it into perspective. I was talking to a guy who has a Cobra Kit car, and thinks he runs the wheels off of it. He told me he drove it 60 miles one way to a car show, and back home. The way he described it, he thought he would never make it home. I did not have the heart to tell him I have driven my buggy 7700 miles in the last 2 1/2 month's.

A lot of people drive their buggy only on weekends, a couple weekdays a year and stay close to home. 20 to 30 mile trips. There is nothing wrong with that, they are having fun in a way that is good for them, and that is what a buggy is all about, enjoying it.

In my personal opinion, if you drive your buggy more than 1000 miles in a year, you are in the top 20% of people who really "drive" their buggy.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RedBaronofRedBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joescoolcustoms wrote:

In my personal opinion, if you drive your buggy more than 1000 miles in a year, you are in the top 20% of people who really "drive" their buggy.

WooHoo!! Im a 20%er! Laughing

My two pennies…your mileage may vary

I’m not a complete idiot, there are parts missing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Axitech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

8700 miles since New Years Day in a rail, rain, snow, sun, it's all good!
He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.-Thomas Jefferson
TSFR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Axitech wrote:
8700 miles since New Years Day in a rail, rain, snow, sun, it's all good!

You are a better man than I am! I'm treating this like my motorcycle while having a different everyday driver. I'm a total fair weather driver LOL 😎

Thanks,
Jeff

Manxter 2+2 #160
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: