Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

In Praise of the Hoover Bit
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
doc hopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:25 am    Post subject: In Praise of the Hoover Bit Reply with quote

After installing a bone stock long block in my 66 bug I had ongoing issues with overheating, despite all tin and rubber in place. (GB oil temp sender calibrated to turn on the oil light at 230 degrees) Stock gear ratios in the tranny by the way.

OEM German doghouse cooler with the larger fan didn't solve the problem.
Nor did the slotted and propped deck lid.
Ditto for the 132.5 main jet in the 30/31 carb.
Ditto for the OEM fan shutters in the locked open position.
Aircooled.net's SVDA (modified for the 30/31) helped but did not cure the problem.

I finally bit the bullet, had the engine pulled and a genuine Hoover Bit installed, along with the proper sealing around the oil cooler.

What a difference! I tested the cooling on a 90 degree day along an uphill stretch of freeway I have dubbed "Damnation Alley" because that's where all the previous improvements had reached their limit with the oil light glaring at me before I got to the top of the hill.

I got to the summit, pulled over and checked the swing arm on the dipstick sender......... not even close to making contact.
Gotta hand it to those German engineers.
I'd heard of the Bit (on Samba) but was skeptical about its value. No longer.
Having cooling problems? Give the Hoover Bit a try. Your engine will thank you.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc now you too can preach to all about how important it is have everything in place.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup air will go around the cooler eayser than through it. be sure to seal all aspects of the cooler tin aera.the #3 cylinder tin leeks like hell neer the cooler addptor also. I think somebody needs to make a dyson bit for that aera..... hmm I wonder just how rockCrusher is doing???
Bugzilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a timely post for me--I'm going through the top end of a DP 1600 I just picked up. Of course, the hoover bit and flaps were all missing--but I did have some in my collection. I snapped a picture as I began to pre-assemble it:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The hoover bit is the small piece of tin between the fan shroud and the oil cooler, for those who don't know. Wink

T
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: