Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Axle Beam choice dilemma
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mybug8u
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject: Axle Beam choice dilemma Reply with quote

I am not looking to jump my baja 10 feet in the air, just wanna have fun on the desert trails with the wife and kids. I am torn between going with a warrior front beam, or a coilover beam, Like one of the kits dan's or pacific customs sells. Any recommendations on that, and whether to use dans or pacific customs or anyone else for that matter would help. I also just bought an axle beam extender from a guy on here. Once that's on, I will weld the beam to my cage as well. Its for a link pin front end.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DHale_510
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have cars with each suspension.
The older cars have had the torsion designs such as the Warrior setup, generally built before there were Warrior setups. They worked well and were durable enough. Never actually had a beam failure once the tubes were supported better than the factory mounts. They were simple and pretty cheap but a bit rough and kind of short in travel, but I didn't know that until I built a longer travel coilover setup.
The coilover setup is a replacement build on my most serious 61 Baja. I have built this car three times over 40 years. It is much more adjustable and changeable and may actually not cost any more than a fully built torsion setup now. I like it a lot. My wife almost will not ride in the torsion cars anymore, they are just rougher rides as well as slower. To be fair, the coilover setup include long arms, light disc brakes and fancy reservoir shocks, but those wouldn't really fit the torsion setup anyway. If I want to change the spring rates on the coilover car it will be far cheaper than some custom leaf setup, and the long shocks are already there, no more welding for that.
I too was building a family fun car with no intention to jump 10 feet in the air, basically a class 5 based fun toy, but the devil makes me do it now......
Do your accounting and get the coilovers if the costs are anywhere near the same.
Torsion front end car;
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Coilover front end car;

Dennis
MetricMuscle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it all boils down to travel.
You can get just so much with torsion springs.
Extended length trailing arms are what give you more travel in the front. I don't believe a torsion spring is stiff enough for anything over +2.5".

I've been trying to figure out what a "Mid-Travel" set up is, what range of travel is in this category.
Also what the travel limits of stock, +2.5", +4" length trailing arms.

Torsion springs aren't exactly cheap so going with coil springs seems like it is affordable as well as giving you lots more tuning options.

I do like that the torsion springs are hidden away from mud and grime, I'd love to find a way to keep the damper isolated too.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: