Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

oil sump plate stud
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject: oil sump plate stud Reply with quote

one of my oil sump plate studs are bent and stripped and its the one that holds the nut on the inside to =( for the oil pick up....the one circled in the pic. so can i replace that stud with the motor together in the car?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

thank you
Chris Vellat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short answer, yes. But it's not fun.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got anymore pics of that tool? or how you made it?
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can always apply a torch to it and bend it yourself ( tool). Another option is use a tap and die set and try first to rethread it with the proper size or go one smaller and put a smaller nut on it.

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

You can always learn something new, even from a fool.
Check your oil levels routinely!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chris Vellat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Torch, bench vise, grinder...I'll see if I can track it down and take another picture or two, can't remember the last time I saw it.
The Noof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jfats808 wrote:
Can always apply a torch to it and bend it yourself ( tool). Another option is use a tap and die set and try first to rethread it with the proper size or go one smaller and put a smaller nut on it.

Bad advice:the 6mm fasteners are bad enough without going smaller.With a make-shift wrench, as pointed out above,replacing the stud is easy.Do it the right way!
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we all did things the right way , nothing would break or strip. With only 5 lbs torque on that thread and nut tap and die-ing it is not bad advice. Either way will work.-Jon

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The Noof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jfats808 wrote:
If we all did things the right way , nothing would break or strip. With only 5 lbs torque on that thread and nut tap and die-ing it is not bad advice. Either way will work.-Jon

...and that perfectly explains the state of most old VW's.You're suggesting that he have 5 6mm fasteners, and one perhaps 5mm fastener?rotflmao.The difference between doing this right, and doing it wrong( your way), is a few moments in time.Remind me NOT to buy one of your cars.lol
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if he cant get the nut off the top side cause its stripped also or wont come off? I would not give advice to do something i havent done or would do. The sump plate wieghs all of a 1/4 lb.There is no wieght on it. My first suggestion was run a die over it and rethread the stripped threads. Second was to put a smaller nut on it after die ing it smaller. I have one car and 3 engines. Sorry I wont sell you my car. My way is just asthetics. Your idea of wrong and right is merely perpective. I still stand behind my suggestion cause IT WILL STILL WORK. Good day.-Jon

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

BWD
Samba Mailman

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bringing back an old thread, the nut on the pickup hold down stud came off, I was able to get the nut out of the case, getting it back on the stud is driving me nuts. I bent a 10mm wrench to help, I just can't get the nut started!
Any help would be great! I don't want to split the case just for this!
member #2850
1966 Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take the stud back out. Put two nuts on it, jammed up against each other. Put that in the vice holding it by the nuts. Using a hacksaw, or thin grinder cutoff wheel, cut a screwdriver slot into the face of the stud, the BOTTOM face. Undo the whole thing, reinstall the stud into the case, use special wrench to install the nut back onto the stud, use the slot to turn the stud until you have it where it needs to be, apply a drop of Loctite to the top of the nut, let that set, use screwdriver to back stud out of case until the nut tightens against the pickup bracket. Really detailed instructions for a very simple repair. go get 'em!
He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.-Thomas Jefferson
BWD
Samba Mailman

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Axitech wrote:
Take the stud back out. Put two nuts on it, jammed up against each other. Put that in the vice holding it by the nuts. Using a hacksaw, or thin grinder cutoff wheel, cut a screwdriver slot into the face of the stud, the BOTTOM face. Undo the whole thing, reinstall the stud into the case, use special wrench to install the nut back onto the stud, use the slot to turn the stud until you have it where it needs to be, apply a drop of Loctite to the top of the nut, let that set, use screwdriver to back stud out of case until the nut tightens against the pickup bracket. Really detailed instructions for a very simple repair. go get 'em!

Thanks, now the trick is getting the nut on the stud, not a lot of space to work in! Laughing
member #2850
1966 Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you back stud down till it barely shows a thread, maybe able to start nut then thread stud back "in" to required depth.... Or just keep fumbling till nut starts...Its just a nasty work space and you need patience and to keep at it....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Axitech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale is on the right track. Get a 10mm wrench, heat and bend it until it will slip into place, 'glue' the nut to the box end of the wrench using RTV or something sticky, back the stud down, hold the nut over the hole, screw the stud in until fully engaged, then Loctite the top of it, wait until set, back the stud out until tight. Get creative.
He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.-Thomas Jefferson
BWD
Samba Mailman

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back at it again tomorrow. I bent a wrench and I'll try the RTV trick.
Thanks!
member #2850
1966 Beetle
Samba Mailman

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I thought about it, the more I didn't want to take the chance of a blob of RTV getting loose in the case, so, I duct taped the nut to the wrench and got it done! Very Happy
member #2850
1966 Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually pulled this off without bending a wrench. By prying on the pickup pipe plate just in front of the locknut, it bent ever so slightly as to allow me to slip the box end of a 10mm on the nut and hold it while I cranked out the stud with vise grips. I used the duct tape trick to hold the hold the nut on the wrench as I screwed in the new stud. Worked great.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: