Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New trw steering box...can't adjust out free play
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Douglam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: New trw steering box...can't adjust out free play Reply with quote

Just rebuild the front end of my rail, used the original steering box but it had to much free play after adjustment and I ran out of adjustment, so I bought a new trw box, installed it and it's the same. I have all new tie rods, new shaft coupler and all, am I doing something wrong?
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to say you are doing something wrong. Chances are that your old one is actually still good. Very rarely do they wear to the point where you can no longer adjust them.

1st, back off the jam nut on the pit arm shaft.
2nd, back off the adjusting screw a couple turns.
3rd, loosen the large jam nut on the worm gear adjustor.
4th, turn in the big honkin' worm adjuster until the input shaft is nice and snug. Don't crank it down, just snug it up until all the axial play is removed from the input shaft. A little preload won't hurt, just don't over do it.
5th, tighten the big jam nut on the worm adjustor.
6th, Snug up the pit arm shaft by turning in the screw until you feel the roller contact the worm in the steering box.
7th, tighten the jam nut on the pit arm shaft adjuster screw.
8th, drive the piss out of it.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
Douglam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is all exactly what I just got done doing.
Douglam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm just going to take it over to the shop I bought the box from and see if they can help because it makes no sense to me
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you did all that, then the box should be A-OK. Are you sure your box is the issue? Sounds like the problem is somewhere else if you followed the above procedure that I gave you.

Check your steering shaft clamp and rod ends for play.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
Douglam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took the box off the rail, adjusted it and put it back on and it seems to be ok. I think the grooves in my pitman arm may be a little worn and there may have been a bit of play at that junction. I tightened down that bolt real good and the play is significantly better, if not completely gone. I still think the old box was bad because I adjusted it off the rail as well and there is either play or I I tighten it any more it gets real stiff.
Axitech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may or may not help. I used to rebuild a bunch of steering boxes for Range Rovers. I'd wait until I had five or six and do them all at once. What most people do NOT know is, you have to adjust the box while it is centered. Think about that for a moment. The box must be adjusted at it's center of travel because that is it's tightest point. If you adjust it anywhere else, it will lock up or bind as it goes past center!

So, how do you find center? Knock the steering linkage off the arm on the box. depending on you steering setup (stock with turn signal switch and clockspring for steering wheel mounted switches, or bare bones rail setup) you may need to knock off the steering column input shaft too. What you have to do is very carefully turn all the way in one direction, then count the turns to the other direction's stopping point. Divide this by two, and turn back that many turns. So, if you have three and half full turns from lock to lock, you would find center at the one and three quarter turns mark. THIS is where you set the drag on the box. "DRAG' is the same as "play".

Hope that helps.
He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.-Thomas Jefferson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also a notch on the input shaft to indicate center on the VW steering box.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The flat on the input shaft (and therefore the input yoke bolt) is straight up and down when the steering is centred.. yes this is where the box is at its 'tightest'.. and it is also where wear will be most evident as over its life, the box spends more time at straight ahead
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
There is also a notch on the input shaft to indicate center on the VW steering box.

This is how you find the center
VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirtkeeper wrote:
Q-Dog wrote:

what is the notch, folks?
nukeworker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a brand new TRW and it had like 7" of play at the steering wheel.Took it back and the new one had 3" at the steering wheel. My dealer sent it back to his supplier who claimed it was "in their tolerances." What ever. I don't think you should have to adjust a brand new box.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWCOOL wrote:
dirtkeeper wrote:
Q-Dog wrote:

what is the notch, folks?

There is a ring around the input shaft just before where it goes into the housing. The notch is in this ring.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: