Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

aftermath of autostick conversion -- need custom coupling
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DSWitte
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:04 pm    Post subject: aftermath of autostick conversion -- need custom coupling Reply with quote

I posted earlier a photo of the stick shift end of the shift rod in my 1970 KG and confirmed that my KG was originally an autostick that was converted to 4 speed manual in 1996 or 1997.

I bought it 2 weeks ago and felt like 1st and 3rd gear were really far forward and overall the transmission was fairly sloppy. A neighbor and I replaced the rear shift coupling with an EMPI shift coupling and thought that would do the trick.

HOWEVER, we made matters worse and really can't engage 1st or 3rd now.

The shift rod for the autostick is shorter than for the 4 speed manual. I either need to change out the shift rod (if I can find one) or I've read online that if a custom coupling is used to make up the difference in length, the autostick rod can stay.

Long explanation, but simple question..........does anyone have an easy source for this elusive "custom coupling" ?
Marlonius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd just buy a shift rod from a manual and be done with it. There has to be a ton of them out there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
quasimodo1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:08 pm    Post subject: Modified Shift Coupling Reply with quote

I just cut the end off another coupling and had a friend tig weld it to the end of my coupling. Just today I installed it back in my 68' Ghia. I'm taking a brake before I try it out.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
DSWitte
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short story...I now have her running and shifting correctly! What a difference!!!!! New shift rod found at local Bug Out event this weekend.

Long story....I learned a lot about auto-stick to 4sp manual conversions. Autostick rod is about 1 1/4 inch shorter than the manual rod. When they did the conversion back in 1996 long before I got the car, they did not change out the autostick rod. They basically made it work by not installing the coupling exactly the way it should be and they put it to the end of the transmission axle held in by a pressure bolt instead of fitting it fully onto the axle and securing it with the proper threaded tapped screw that really fits INTO instead of just onto the axle.

Basically as mentioned here to make it all work properly, the shift rod had to be changed for the right length. Although the Ghia could not be driven to BUG OUT, my neighbor and I went in my EOS (along with my 7 yr old daughter who I am making a car fan!). Among the used parts vendors there we found the correct 45 1/8" shift rod. I even had a tape measure with me to be sure. Despite the fact that I was drooling with excitement, the guy sold it to me for $5.00.

While at BUG OUT, I bought a new EMPI shifter, new shift rod bushing and we already had a new rear coupling.

I spent an hour disassembling things and my neighbor and I spent 3 hrs installing the shift rod (take off front bumper, remove horns, pull shift rod forward and out (sliding it out the horn opening was like birthing a baby!), slide new longer rod in, secure coupling, install shifter).

I had a huge grin on my face after that ride. In the 3 weeks I've owned it, I can say that was the first time I'd really DRIVEN the car and ENJOYED it.
Now it drives great and has super short, very positive shifts. Yipee!

There were a few Ghias at Bug Out. Next Bug Out is in May and I will enter then. Meanwhile might go to some Cars and Coffee on Sat mornings here in Richmond and there are a few classic shows around from time to time locally.

My wife got her first ride and really liked it Smile Kids (two girls, 7 and 11) also really like it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: