Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sub. EJ22 SOHC - Finally a set of manifold to run Dellortos
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mpate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject: Sub. EJ22 SOHC - Finally a set of manifold to run Dellortos Reply with quote

After inquiring everywhere about manifolds to run Weber/Dellorto Carb and Efi setups on my Subaru EJ22 conversion. I got no where fast. I like the vintage look and the simplicity of carbs. Almost all VW guys have a set of Webers or Dellortos laying around and what stops most on a conversion is the EFI mess with wiring, fuel, ignition, etc. These minor issues are easily overcome with the conversion community being so popular. I finally made a proper set of manifolds that can support both formats. Check out the images and tell me what you think. I will be finishing my setup soon as my engine is about done. I am modifying a spare decklid to mount the radiator and pusher fan inside with cut outs on the decklid to allow massive air flow. Custom grills will be made and decklid standoffs will be run. The radiator will be utilizing flexible piping in areas to connect to the engine. Porsche has done this before. Can't hurt to try.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/img]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mightymouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not feelin the small piping that was used. Almost looks like the manifolds are gonna act as venturi.
Will either rock or it will suck. Id have made the pipes larger for proper flow and then let the venturi in the carbs do thier jobs.

That engine made the HP it made with high flowing manifold and injection. If the carbs arent tuned well its gonna make less HP that it did when injected.
Cam is also for injection, so it should be OK with carbs as our emulsion carbs are damn close to injection. But it still may take some work to tune.

Interested to see how this pans out.

Note to EVERYONE.
Know your ZDDP levels or you WILL lose a cam and lifters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on how small the tubing actually is. What carbs are they designed for? What's the I.D.? The flange I.D. and the tubing I.D. Should be the same to avoid any turbulence. If you plan on marketing, then either different sizes should be made, or a thick aluminum one should be casted that can be ported to 44mm I.D. Or 48.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look good

I heard of a bloke who cast and machined his own Weber manifolds for a Subie... and then realised the ignition was also PCM controlled.

It made a very simple Subie EFI conversion quite expensive and complicated!
danielzink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in 09 a guy over at STF did sorta the same thing:

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&a...358f949886

He was going to initially offer a kit but it never materialized....

I've got extra sets of webers hanging around as well....would be fun to do a setup like this on my buggy....

Dan

www.danielzink.com

Last edited by danielzink on Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:14 am; edited 1 time in total
mpate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The manifolds are geared toward Dellorto 40's. I took a set of both subi and dell manifolds and measured the internal id of the dell carb and they measured out at 1.5 inches. They are slightly opened up at the top to smooth the fuel transition. The lower base plate was slightly opened up for the subi port side. The piping is the same diameter throughout. We will see how it works once everything is together.
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EJ subis came carbed in some countries (only a single though) and just had a distributor on the back of the number 3 head cam plug.
Although that does put the distributor in a fairly vulnerable position.

Moosman on here did the same conversion too, only to swap it back to the stock fuel injection after a few months

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: