Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Break wire - newer gearbox in a oval
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bearny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:25 am    Post subject: Break wire - newer gearbox in a oval Reply with quote

I have a 55 oval. (Bought a project in boxes..)
But the car have a newer gearbox and axles.
I have mount a new parking brake wire, but it seems like the wires dont go as "smooth" as it should(?) The parking brake won't seem to release "go back" of it self.
The wire now go in on the front of the brake backing plates. Therefore the wire will get a little more "twist and turn", and I wonder if I can have it like this.
Is there anyone that have done this and have som good advice..?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Matthew Tolbert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

on 55 and earlier cars the e-brake cable should go in the rear(as in rear of car) of the backing plate not the front like you have it. if memory serves me you should be able to switch the backing plates side to side for this. if i can locate a photo i will add it.

maybe these will explain what i mean

1965 Notchback S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears that the brake backing plates are installed upside down rather than on the incorrect sides. Try rotating the backers 180 degrees so that the wheel cylinder is on the bottom and the e brake cable port is on the top, facing rearward.

Good luck! I would like to see a pic of your overall car Smile. '55s are cool. Because they come in every flavor
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually . . . . .
I looks to me that those brakes and transaxle (or at least the axles themselves) are from a '67 and so the brake backing plates are mounted correctly! I just put the same thing in my '56! Wink

FYI . . . my car had a cable that was "tight" on one side . . . required metal surgery to cure the problem!!!!
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

57BLITZ wrote:
Actually . . . . .
I looks to me that those brakes and transaxle (or at least the axles themselves) are from a '67 and so the brake backing plates are mounted correctly! I just put the same thing in my '56! Wink

FYI . . . my car had a cable that was "tight" on one side . . . required metal surgery to cure the problem!!!!

You are probably correct about the year of the brakes, but to use them with the early cables, you have to install the backing plates so the cables enter from the rear.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:
. . . to use them with the early cables, you have to install the backing plates so the cables enter from the rear.

I don't know what to say about that, but I want to point out that it would be a mistake to rotate those backing plates so as to have the parking brake cables enter at the top!!!
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really it makes no difference functionally, cable on top or bottom. Oval rear brakes had the cable on the top and the wheel cylinder on the bottom and they worked just fine. However, the best way to proceed here without the need to buy longer hydraulic brake lines would be to switch the backing plates side to side and keep the wheel cylinders at the top.
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

57BLITZ wrote:
splitjunkie wrote:
. . . to use them with the early cables, you have to install the backing plates so the cables enter from the rear.

I don't know what to say about that, but I want to point out that it would be a mistake to rotate those backing plates so as to have the parking brake cables enter at the top!!!

And why is that? Please back up your statement with some facts.

Look at Mathew Tolbert's posted drawing. That is how those E brake cable were designed to be installed and that is how pre '55 cars had their backing plates installed.

57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:

Look at Mathew Tolbert's posted drawing. That is how those E brake cable were designed to be installed and that is how pre '55 cars had their backing plates installed.

Well . . . . we are talking '67 (or post '63) brakes. When VW eliminated the oil slinger in the rear brake drums, they created a new path for gear oil to seep out of the brake lining area . . . through the backing plate. They created a unique shape so that the bearing retainer fits the backing plate only one way. That is because it lines up to a weep hole in the backing plate. Re-clocking the backing plates (so the cable can enter from the top) will certainly render the weep holes useless.

The cable in the OP's photo looks fine and is routed the same as I did on my '56. I can't see why it would be any better to rotate the backing plates.
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:07 am    Post subject: Re: Break wire - newer gearbox in a oval Reply with quote

Bearny wrote:
. . . it seems like the wires dont go as "smooth" as it should(?) The parking brake won't seem to release "go back" of it self.
Is there anyone that have done this and have som good advice..?

If you checked the cable to insure there is no binding anywhere, you might want to add a spring to your parking brake cable . . . like VW did in the Sixties . . .

splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

57BLITZ wrote:
splitjunkie wrote:

Well . . . . we are talking '67 (or post '63) brakes. When VW eliminated the oil slinger in the rear brake drums, they created a new path for gear oil to seep out of the brake lining area . . . through the backing plate. They created a unique shape so that the bearing retainer fits the backing plate only one way. That is because it lines up to a weep hole in the backing plate. Re-clocking the backing plates (so the cable can enter from the top) will certainly render the weep holes useless.

The cable in the OP's photo looks fine and is routed the same as I did on my '56. I can't see why it would be any better to rotate the backing plates.

There. That wasn't so hard was it?

You bring up good points about the weep hole. However I didn't say to turn them upside down. I just said they needed to enter at the rear. This is accomplished by putting the left one on the right side and the right one on the left side. This will allow the e-brake cable to route properly without binding, (which it will if routed from the front) and everything will function as intended. When VW went to the cable that entered from the front, they changed the length of the flexible housing so it would not bind.

Adding a spring to a binding cable is just a band aide fix that won't address the original issue and will probably not completely fix the problem.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: