Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Good paint for routine daily driver bug?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Little-Acorn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject: Good paint for routine daily driver bug? Reply with quote

I have a 1974 Super Beetle that's a daily driver, a few dings here and there, will never be a show piece. I figure to sand it nicely, prime and paint so it looks decent instead of the Heinz 57 look it has now (many different parts from different places). Doesn't have to be a factory-original color.

I have access to a 2HP compressor and a pretty good spray gun for it, and a place to paint.

What would be a good paint to use? Enamel or urethane or...?? (What's the difference?)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks all!
VW_Buggsy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you look through the stickies? Most of the basics are covered there:

www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=78410

Sorry, not a painter so I don't know much about the paints. Maybe ask the shop where you intend to buy the paint? I read in the posts about "single stage urethane" a lot so I get the impression that is the easier and economical way to go.

Personally, my car is a beater. I think I'll do my own prep work then take it to maaco for actual final shoot if i don't give it a go on my own.

Good luck!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
*Darren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acorn, Youre in San Diego! TCP GLobal 6695 Rasha Street San Diego Ca 92121 Go to their website http://www.tcpglobal.com
You can get a gallon in their house of Kolors for about $100/gal and another $50 for hardener & reducer in you og VW color - can't beat that. Really want to be cheap, there are those on the site that have used Tractor Supply tractor paint, me I'd definitely go with TCP, seeing the results nice paint for the money. I'd see about locating a bit bigger compressor, practice with what you have and when ready rent a bigger, if you can't get a loaner.
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also check out Kirker...
Northof49
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go with a catalyzed urethane. Kirker or Eastwood have it cheap.
marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Urethane paints are harder paints than enamel paints, which makes them more chip resistant. I'd spend the extra money for urethane.

I'd give a vote for TCP global cheap single stage acrylic urethane paint. I believe you get what you pay for, but with that said, I've sprayed TCP global single stage urethane a couple times and have no major complaints - their color matching is not as good as your local paint store (although they are local in your case). I think the paint is easy to use and lays down better than Dupont Centari acrylic enamel (the only other auto paint I have ever sprayed).

I think the 2HP compressor will give you some trouble - check the requirements of your spray gun and do some thread searches for painting with small compressor to learn some painting tricks (I've never used a small compressor to paint).

You need to consider the CFM requirements of your gun at a low pressure - newer spray guns are High Volume, Low Pressure (HVLP) - that means your compressor need to produce lots of low pressure air. Most small compressors are for homebuilders using nail guns, which have high pressure and low volume requirements - the exact reverse of what you want.

'65 rear left beetle fender

15" Bus Wheels in fair condition

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
bvd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard good things about TCP Global Restoration Shop.

I'm currently painting my beetle using Summit Racing's single stage acrylic urethane in orange. Very affordable and seems to be pretty good quality... http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-csumup306/overview/

Some further info: http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/instructions/paint%20intro.pdf

Br aware that urethane paint hardens by chemically crosslinking with itself, because you must add an isocyanate catalyst or activator to it. Also, it is very dangerous if not handled properly as the isocyanates can enter your body and never leave...obviously unless you're spraying it everyday as your career you don't have to worry too much, but still exercise extreme caution and research proper respiratory protection if you ever use it.
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to go to TCPGlobal.. got tired of waiting in their two person lines for hours while they shoot the shit at the desk. And don't bother even calling for information.. they won't answer.

Now I go to Meza Auto Paint in Escondido and have NEVER looked back. Much more customer friendly, approachable, and the prices are right too. These guys carry my favorite brand of primer - U-POL out of Germany. Matter of fact, they carry EVERYTHING. All materials and supplies I've needed for my projects come directly out of their store front. And, no, they don't pay me to say all of this..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: