Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Installing child car seats
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When my kids were born, I traded my T181 for a van. The van is a way better baby, toddler, kid vehicle IMO.
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When my first kid was born the Thing had not come to the US yet.... “The car of the future......” My first few cars did not come with seat belts. But they had side vent windows and nice cloth seats.... Recently we restored a 58 Plymouth Fury and of course we painted it red and called her Christine..... The point is the owner had us put in a complete NEW driveline from the lug bolts to the air filter..... Nothing used on this car and all mechanical work was done by ASME certified MOPAR techs... The owner spent nearly $30K on the car in parts.... After she was done we loaded her up for her first freeway ride,,, Took her up to 70 mph and hit the brakes only to find that she was (new or not) a 58 Plymouth with drum brakes.... Even brand new and perfect. One tap on the brakes and everyone in the car could tell (and said so loudly) this in not your Dad’s Subaru with 4 wheel abs traction compensated disc brakes.. Hold a 20th century car to 21st century standards is nothing short of Naive..... You have to drive with your head on straight if you love the VW. It will not keep you safe. That is Herr Drivers role...... A vw is safe only because VW drivers are safer drivers period. It ain’t the car.. rather its the kind of folks who drive them....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kubelmann wrote:
... You have to drive with your head on straight if you love the VW. It will not keep you safe. That is Herr Drivers role....

Well said K-Mann... Wink This train of thought is being derailed daily with all the "autonomous" driver assist gadgets on modern cars.... Heck, you don't even have to apply the brakes anymore, or check blind spots, or Parrallel park yourself.... Just talk on the phone and text away, when you're about to strike something, the car will brake for you! Then you can look up and see what's going on..... Or just start drifting into the next lane, if there is another vehicle already there, the car will alert you, and you can return to your proper lane....
Or pull down a street. Stop, push the magic button and it'll slip ya right into that parking space, without rashing your wheels, or scuffing the bumper on the cars fore and aft! Lovely.....
Just get in that 4k lb vehicle and check out! Rolling Eyes

Rant over....
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember

Last edited by GI Joe on Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rant continued... Wink

I won't buy a car that thinks that much for me. The way cars are being recalled left and right, the last thing I want is a car that's doing my thinking and braking for me. That's what public transportation is for, I think.

Rant discontinued...
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Wildthings.
When my son was an infant, my daily driver was a Westfalia.
The cupboard in the back was full of diapers and diaper changing supplies.
It was easy to throw him on the back cushion and get the job done.

In a few years, it will be time for him to change MY diaper.
I think he'll be moving to another state.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Turk.380 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No car seats.. no seat belts. Give the steering wheel a quick jerk once in a while to knock'em around a bit and keep'em in line like my dad did. Let your kids grow up with a sense of reality.

Maybe carry a box full of Jarts in the back too just for good measure.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read about that in the funny papers, The guys says, “I’d like to die peacefully in my sleep like my dear old grandfather, instead of crying, screaming and yelling like all the folks in the back seat of his car. "
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: