Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil cooler tests
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
strelnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject: Oil cooler tests Reply with quote

I have seen the recent info about oil coolers and temperatures in Things especially off-road and at extreme temps. I partly contributed to it.

I made this a different thread because my question is different but related:

How do you test an oil cooler, inside or off the vehicle?

Other air-cooled cars I own suggest cleaning by:

1. filling the coolers with acetone or gasoline overnight, pouring out the sludge

2. running super hot water and degreaser through them for about 15 minutes

3. Cleaning the outside with carb cleaner/degreaser/brake-Kleen

4. Straightening the fins

5. Doing a pressure/leak test with a hydraulic pump for pressure up to 80-100max psi in lines

Does this sound right to you for a basic Type 1 Thing engine?
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds OK to me.
I would want to confirm that air freely flows through it, same as oil.
I can understand the desire to stick with your OE part, because lots of aftermarket parts are junk.

Check this gizmo:
http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Oil-Cooler-Tester-p/vw-11.htm
Note the pressure spec. on the sticker.

Maybe someone will chime in re: the quality of new oil coolers available today.
Should a new oil cooler be flushed? I don't know.

Although this is a horribly untrustworthy source, look at this:
http://www.bergmannvw.net/Website-New/pages/Engines/engines_accessories-oil_cooler_kits.html

(a broken clock is right twice a day)

Good luck, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
strelnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mondshine wrote:
Sounds OK to me.
I would want to confirm that air freely flows through it, same as oil.
I can understand the desire to stick with your OE part, because lots of aftermarket parts are junk.

Check this gizmo:
http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Oil-Cooler-Tester-p/vw-11.htm
Note the pressure spec. on the sticker.

Maybe someone will chime in re: the quality of new oil coolers available today.
Should a new oil cooler be flushed? I don't know.

Although this is a horribly untrustworthy source, look at this:
http://www.bergmannvw.net/Website-New/pages/Engines/engines_accessories-oil_cooler_kits.html

(a broken clock is right twice a day)

Good luck, Mondshine

Mondshine,
Thanks for all the info.

I have talked with a well-known California auto restorer named Chuck Crittenden. He mostly does Citroens, but in the case of the pre-war cars, he has developed an oil primer for use on high-value cars that are started maybe once every 2-5 years. He has a gizmo that acts as a pre-oiler for these cars.

Fairly rare Traction Avant cars have a spot on the block that is used for a pressure sensor and where a Tee-line can be installed so that an oiler can be connected. The Traction is set up for pre-oiling.;, so is its successor, the DS19 (1955). It's mentioned in detail in one of the 1940's era repair and mod manuals.

I would not use this gentleman's set-up, but the idea of pre-oiling is itself, not a bad idea.

If you are unable to tell me why in the post, I'd like to know why this source is considered unreliable. You can PM me and let me know. Didn't see anything about it in the feedback area, but that is just for sales.

Thanks again!
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strelnik-
My low opinion of bergmanvw is difficult to explain; I'll just call it personal prejudice and let it go at that.

On pre-oiling, I have been using an Accusump on my Thing for over 30 years.

"An Accusump is an oil reservoir that is connected to the engine's oiling system. It is designed to deliver pressurized oil to an engine before starting to eliminate dry start scuffing (pre-oiling) and to discharge its reservoir of oil during low oil pressure surges to protect against engine damage during demanding racing conditions. It installs simply with only one oil line connecting it. The Accusump's design includes a piston. On one side of this piston is pressurized air and on the other side of the piston is the reserve of oil. To hold this reserve of oil in the Accusump when the engine is not running and there is no pressure to hold it, a valve is installed on the oil line."
Illustration:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

However, the idea of flushing a fresh engine (or new oil cooler) with oil which will be discarded before startup like this link shows:
seems to have some merit to me.
This is completely different from the pre-oiling that the Accusump does.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: