Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Banded Steel Wheels
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
neohic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:29 pm    Post subject: Banded Steel Wheels Reply with quote

Been working on a buggy off and on for a number of years now and I'd like to start picking away at it again. Link to the build found here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=518388

I love the idea of going old school and recycling my stock wheels by banding them. The plan is to be able to keep the stock hub cap and I know that I could cut up a 15x8" Chevy truck wheel for its barrel but there's just the thought of cost. Why spend the cash when I can tinker around for a couple weekends and do it myself for next to nothing? The problem comes in when doing research on the banding itself. I know that I have the skill and the equipment to do it properly. What I don't know is if it's legal to run on the road. Sure, you can flip over to the classifieds and purchase wheels that have been set into wider barrels, and one can even find a shop that still widens wheels by banding... but it is legal? Physically I know that it's possible to do as so many on several forum sites post up that they've either done it themselves or have had it done. Then there's the horror stories of wheels flying apart that I can only imagine was due to poor craftsmanship. Personally, I wouldn't run any banded wheel that I didn't know who did the work. If it were my wheels and my welds, I wouldn't think twice.

Anyhow... legal? Would you run them? Eh?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I like to build stuff...
theastronaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are companies that offer the service on aluminum wheels. So it must be legal. I had a pair of smoothies banded and had no problems with them.

'64 Beetle Sunroof OG Bahama Blue
'63 Beetle Vert
'66 Beetle
'88 Festiva L
'89 Festiva L
'64 Chevy C10
'66 Chevy C10
neohic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dancing

I like to build stuff...
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Imp! But be warned, as nice as banded wheels are- if you don't have a local source- shipping your wheels to a place like Stockton Wheel (world renowned) for this service is not cheap.

The dollars would be darn close to (yet more appropriate IMO) big n little repop steel Empi Sprintstars in cost.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
neohic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, dude! It's actually not a real Imp, but really a Linton knock off. Most of the body lines are the same, but some are softened out with some other shapes added... it's different anyway.

I'm really happy with how my experiment finished up. It came out closer to round than the wheels started out and it took minimal weight to get it to balance. The whole wheel needs to come out just slightly though. I started with a wheel with 4" backspacing.

Ol' George has plenty of room to wiggle around in there. Actually, ol' George is kind of a metaphor to the budget I'm working with on this car. Eh?

I like to build stuff...
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Shipping! Cool
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
neohic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
No Shipping! Cool

Nope. I rolled my own barrels, cut the wheel, welded... kind of bummed that I don't have the equipment to mount/balance my own tires. Ah well... still no shipping involved. Figure in that my time is worth nothing too. Rolling Eyes

I like to build stuff...
neohic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got my other three wheels done. 9" wheels for the rear and 7.5" on the front. Now for paint and mounting!

I like to build stuff...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: