Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

72 vw bus and a porsche 914
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
72vwbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: 72 vw bus and a porsche 914 Reply with quote

is it true that they have the same motors. cuz i got a 914 on hold and im gunna get the header system off it but i just want to make sure that they got the same motor types.
Matt Wilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes and no. This conversion has been done, but the 1972 model year busses don't have a second access hatch for the engine. In 1972 Porsche 914's had and 1800cc engine, and in 1973 had the 2000cc engine. So you can put the engine in, but you need to fit proper exhaust, heater boxes, and all the correct tin, since 914's were mid engine, and busses are rear. The dipstick for busses is on the bottom rear of the engine, whereas the oil fill and dipstick for the 914 engine is on top, which wouldn't be a problem, except for in the 1972 bus (ceiling clearance issues). I made this conversion for a 1972 with a 914 2.0 which came stock as 110Hp (the bus 2.0L were rated significantly lower if I recall). The engine mounts also must be adapted to bus mounts. Pretty much the basic block is the same less the oil fill stuff, everything else will have to be adapted.
I have a picture of the assembled engine if you would like to see it. You can see the different oil fill stuff.[/img]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Matt Wilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put a picture in the gallery of the conversion. The exaust from 914 is totally different as it is going the wrong way for a bus!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
trackwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I am going to hijack this post for a second but Matt what type of fuel delivery system did you end up using (carb or F.I.) and the factory breather do you have a closer pic? and does the line going up an towards the flywheel go to the air cleaner or charcoal canister?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Quote:
The exaust from 914 is totally different as it is going the wrong way for a bus!

then you could hav the pipes routed to exit by the rear wheels might look cool Cool
Matt Wilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he went with a center mounted progressive weber for the torque and fuel economy, but you could go almost any route you wanted
AlexQS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might like this:

http://www.tunacan.net/t4/reference/case.htm

shows the differences between the various Type IV engines and which vehicles they came in with engine case prefixes. I discovered this when I was thinking about the plausability of putting a type 4 into a bug.

cheers Wink
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can i use the carbs from a 72 bus, solex pdsit2/3, on a 70 1.7 914.

do i have to install the carbs backward, b/c the thrittle shaft pulls in the opposite direction on the 914

i dont think this will alter the way the carbs work

anybody done this before?

anything else i need to do when converting from the fuel injecton to dual carbs. anything i have to replum beside disconnecting the return line to the gas tank and running a hot wire fot the electric fuel pump i will use?

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A '72 914 had a 1.7 (not 1.8L) engine - same displacement as the '72 bus. The compression ratio was higher on the 914 (pop top pistons) as was horse power plus it had fuel injection (FI). Cams are different - the FI cam is not ideal for a carbed engine. Flywheel and clutch is different too (forged and 215mm on 914). They are interchangeable though.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfgangdieter wrote:
A '72 914 had a 1.7 (not 1.8L) engine - same displacement as the '72 bus. The compression ratio was higher on the 914 (pop top pistons) as was horse power plus it had fuel injection (FI). Cams are different - the FI cam is not ideal for a carbed engine. Flywheel and clutch is different too (forged and 215mm on 914). They are interchangeable though.

Not totally correct but close....The 215 clutch primarily came on the 1.8L. Virtually all 1.7L engines were 210's in both 914 and 411/412 cars. As far I as I know the only forged flywheels were 2.0L with a 228mm clutch and the 200mm forged unit that came in the early 411.

On cams its the other way around....The fuel injection cam runs decent....not ideal...but very decent with carburetors.

In fact, the type 4 cars with carbs had the D-jet cam. Carbureted buses with type 4 engines had different cams that did not work well in D-jet injected type 4's...and had some tuning issues when mistakenly used with L-jet as well.
L-jet and D-jet used the same cam across the board (in type 4 cars and in 914's)except for the Euro D-jet cam that was used in the 2.0 914. The busses had different cams for L-jet. Ray
oconnell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:07 am    Post subject: 914/T4 camshaft Reply with quote

How am I to know what cam I have?
I purchased the short block and received no history on it.
It is a GD case
I have a CV case also
I can not tell any difference in the cams?
I found a cam on line advertised as a 914 but had cam gear marked vw
Would like a mild performance cam to use with T4 dual carbs or single 2bbl.
first time T4 engine build.
any help is appreciated.
oconnell
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 914/T4 camshaft Reply with quote

oconnell wrote:
How am I to know what cam I have?
I purchased the short block and received no history on it.
It is a GD case
I have a CV case also
I can not tell any difference in the cams?
I found a cam on line advertised as a 914 but had cam gear marked vw
Would like a mild performance cam to use with T4 dual carbs or single 2bbl.
first time T4 engine build.
any help is appreciated.
oconnell

All Porsche 914 cam gears are marked VW. Thats because every single part in a 914 engine is VW.
If all you have is a short block and have no history on the cam or even if the lifters are in the r8ght bores....the cam is junk. Pretty much all type 4 cams are really only good for one use. They had wear issues.
Get a new cam from webcam or The Type 4 store with matching lifters and gear. Save your old cam, gear after checking the part # and verifying if uts aluminum instead or magnesium. If its magnesium....toss it. If its aluminium it may fit better than a new aluminum one.
You can get the exact cam profile that went into a Euro ,2.0 914 from webcam. I think it is the #120 cam but so a search on the STF for Piledriver. He knows for sure.
Otherwise the 1.7L D-jet cam from VW 411, 412 and Porsche 914....same exact cam....works well on the 2.0 with D-jet. Very nearly the same as the 2.0 cam.....and b ok th cams have the same intake valve timing which is whats important with D-jet.

The only 914 engine that has Porsche unique parts is the 2.0. Different hear castings and cam. The rest is all vw. The cases have minor detail changes over the years...nit one detail of which is Porsche specific. All will work. All can be easily modified for any motir mount system and dipstick pickup tube.
All 1.7 and 1.8 cranks arecl the same forging. All 1.7, and 1.8 heads are the same casting.

That being said.....only the case and crank from a bus and head castings from a 1.7 or 1.8...are suitable for a 914. The cylinders are idnetical...but ths pistons are differeny.
The 411/412 pistons for 1.7 and 1.8 are same p/n as 914...but bus pistons are all low compression dished.
A working bus engine in a 914 would be a hot running dog. Low compression, wrong cam and wrong torque band.

Do not ever reuse any type 4 stock cam at this late date. They were not as good of a design as some ofthe newer ones.
Web #73 for 1.7 liter and usa 2.0L with D-jet....or even better a split pattern vetsion of that same cam designed by Jake Raby.....the 9590. Ray
oconnell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raygreenwood
wow lots of info
thanks
one more question, how to determine aluminum or magnesium ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you scratch it with a pick.....it makes a different sound. But actually you can tell by the part # letter code. I think its the C variant.....but do a search.
Just keep it cor now.....but hou really need a new cam and liters anyway and the new ones are superior to anything stock. Ray
microbi33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:27 am    Post subject: proper cam for 914 engine use in carbureted bus application Reply with quote

so what I am getting here is that a RABY 9590 or Web # 73 are good replacement cams in a 914 1.7L engine (pop top pistons) used in a bus (progressive carb). Correct or no?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: proper cam for 914 engine use in carbureted bus applicat Reply with quote

microbi33 wrote:
so what I am getting here is that a RABY 9590 or Web # 73 are good replacement cams in a 914 1.7L engine (pop top pistons) used in a bus (progressive carb). Correct or no?

Yes....for the cam kit....and if you had fuel injection. It will work well with carbs as well....but if you are tuning this out with carbs there are even better choices out there.
The progressive carb is a gas eating, engine life robbing doorstop with poor performance. No cam will make it work well.

It can be made to run "well"...with a LOT of tuning and you will have to fabricate a manifold heating system. The runners are too long for center mounted carbs on these engines and the carb was MADE to run with a heated manifold. It causes fuel fall out issues.

They either run well at idle and lousey in the top end or vice-versa without heroic efforts.

Either get a good set of dual carbs or put injection on it (stock or after market).

A center mounted carb is the single worst performance and reliability modification you can make to any type 4 engine...especially a 914. Ray
microbi33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I "inherited" the progressive carb and it is working OK on my 1.8L(best fuel mileage 19mpg). I have driven it abot 12,000 miles with no icing problems so far. My spare motor is the 1.7L from a 914. I have it apart and the cam needs replacement. Maybe when I build it up I'll spring for dual carbs. Any carb suggestions for best gas mileage?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are doing....ok with it. And that is saying something.

I always have to tell people that if you think what you have is running "ok" with a center mounted carb......you would be stunned at how it could be running.

Thats not saying that a center mounted carb cannot be made to work well on these engines....but it takes a LOT of work.

Also....icing....is NOT the primary worry and why you need manifold heat with these carbs. The runners are too long. Even in a heated manifold you get fuel seperation on runners this
Long. At best the vacuum circuits and vents In the holly type 2 barrela were made to service 8 inches or so of manifold with, heat.
The heat is required to help keep the fuel homogenized even when icing is not an issue.

Yes....for now the web 73 or a 9590 cam kit from the type 4 store will run well enough and good later if you go back to injection.

Ray
whoshotjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all there's a link referred to above that is now a dead link. For future visitors I've salvaged the content and posted it here:

http://72bay.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/vw-type-4-engine-codes-and-numbers.html
JustBuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you whoshotjr for saving that info!

It's really too bad that the rest of Tunacans website is no longer available. That was the most helpful collection of T4 info in a small space that I've ever come across.

I really hope there is more of it that someone else had the same forethought to save for the future.
whoshotjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem, if you spot another specific Tunacan link that is dead let me know and I may be able to recover it from the deep memories of the interweb.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: