Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Kubelwagen and The Monuments Men
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject: Kubelwagen and The Monuments Men Reply with quote

The reviews of this movie swiftly ended (for us here) the second that George Clooney, Matt Damon, John Goodman, Bill Murray and others commandeer a WW II Kubelwagen and then proceeded to drive it thoughout the entire flick saving great works of art in all the while with a big white USA 5 pointed star on the (spoils of war) door.. This ain’t “The Dirty Dozen” You get more than a quick clip as they blowup a aKubelwagen... This time they drive that sweet car for the entire movie..... Lots of chances to note details.... Might need to watch it in private... the first 5 times.... haha
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't seen that one yet.
There's a weird old movie called "Castle Keep" with Burt Lancaster, in which one of Lancaster's subordinates salvages (what I think was) a Type 87 Kommandeurwagen (after a Ted Kennedy type "floating VW" scene).
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ente_kaefer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wife and I went to see the movie when it was in the theater, and have rented it twice. One of my step-sons asked if the car in the movie was the same as mine, i replied it was the "Daddy" of my 1973 Thing . . .

It appears that the car in the movie is an original that was obtained for use in the movie from Das Museum für Militär- und Zeitgeschichte, http://www.mainpost.de/regional/schweinfurt/Clooneys-Kuebelwagen-parkt-in-Stammheim;art769,7974584, and that three were made for stunts.

I am going to wager the three stunt cars were made with bits from Lehar Military Vehicles, http://www.leharmilitaryvehicles.cz/ .

Highly recommend movie as it covers a part of World War2 very few know anything about.

One of my favorite Typ 82 bits from the movie is where there are two M-1 Garand rifles in the mounts for Mauser 98k rifles . . .
HUGO bOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have seen the movie and love it!

I'm now reading the book that inspired the film... and hope to finish him tomorrow...
They said that the Kubel covered more than 80.000kms in less than a one year... and was left behind when they return to the USA... in working condition... Wink
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is almost 50,000 miles or about 10 round trips on RT 66 from Chicago to Santa Monica and back in a year. That is some driving at a top speed of 70 kph 4,000 KM x 2 x 10 = 80,000 KM/70 kph = Which comes out over 1140 hrs or 47.5 days of non stop driving or an average of over 3 hrs of driving per day 7 days a week for 365 straight days... 25 hp air coolllllllllllll WOW1 Also a great movie, and a great thing the actual folks who thought and acted to save all that great art.... WOW!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HUGO bOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look happy... Cool

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: