Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Where do you sell your original engine?
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lolotte
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject: Where do you sell your original engine? Reply with quote

Hi, I am the recent happy inexperienced owner of a 82 diesel rabbit pickup BUT some oil started to get into the coolant and the mechanic thinks it is the engine block rather than head gasket. Apparently, the best would be to replace the engine Crying or Very sad
It is my daily driver and I need the cheapest and fastest solution for now... so I am looking for basic diesel engine for rabbit pickup.

Where do you sell your engine after you do a swap?
Where should I look for that replacement engine?
(I am finding some around 1000 shipped...and it'd be like 500 for the labor.)
veedubman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Where do you sale your original engine? Reply with quote

I would get a second opinion before you replace the engine. Mk1 diesels have a history of head gasket failure. I had two go on me. Getting a head gasket replaced can be a much cheaper fix than replacing an entire engine. If you do need a new engine (which likely means you'll get a rebuilt one), you can always try asking your mechanic about a core exchange. You won't get much for it though especially if it's broken to the point of needing to be replaced. I'm not certain, but it doesn't seem to me that there is a big market for broken VW diesel motors. You can always try the classified on this forum and other VW forums or CL.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WestyPop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

x2 on the 2nd opinion suggestion. Not a huge problem with cracked blocks on 1.5L diesels, and far less with the '81-on 1.6L engines. OTOH... headgaskets / warped heads / cracked heads... absolutely.

IMO - Pull the head, then clean up & closely inspect the headbolt & oil passage holes by cylinder #3. If there's no cracks between them, have the head pressure-tested & checked for flatness. VW officially said no re-surfacing of the head was permissible, but lots of folks have re-flattened them & many more have skimmed up to .004" off with no problems. Fine stone grinders seem to leave a nice gasket-grippy surface pattern & have fewer problems with the hard inconel swirl chambers getting tweaked, compared to many end-mill machines. Opinions vary re. gasket spray on the new headgasket's surfaces; I use K&W copper spray, but some folks prefer dry-installation only.

Personal choice when re-assembling is to use head studs (RaceWare or ARP), rather than bolts. If needed, they can be re-used, whereas the stretch bolts are supposed to be replaced with each use. Aside from that, the head studs' fine threads and machined-flat washers & nuts just seem to pull the head down more smoothly, with less of that screeching & jerking that makes one question whether a torque wrench is indicating true clamping force, or mostly just rotational friction between the bolt heads & their captive washers!

Don't forget the re-torque @ 600 miles (it's 1000 kM... NOT 1000 miles!).

Might also want to take a peek over at the IDI portions of http://www.vwdieselparts.com/forum/ and http://www.vwdiesel.net/forum/ to get some good background info on the early VW diesels. They can be great little motors, for way less than the down-payment on a NEW TDi or PD-equipped VW!

Best wishes getting your Caddy back in operation.
68 Westy
(+ others)
BigPapaYams
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:37 pm    Post subject: Used engine source Reply with quote

Hey there lolotte!!
I too recently purchased a diesel-powered Rabbit Pickup (my daily driver is an '81 and then I went and bought an '80 as a 'project'). I live in Scotts Valley, just on the other side of the fog bank in the Bay from you.

I have seen this guys' ad on Craigslist. I don't have any experience with him or any affiliation but I thought I'd throw it out there as another possible resource for you.

Call 909-391-6979 or visit www.qualitygermanautoparts.com

1980 Vanagon Country Homes Camper (purchased not running - still not running)
1980 Rabbit Pickup (purchased not running and ugly but good potential) with 1.5L diesel & 4-speed
1981 Rabbit Pickup (my daily driver) 1.6L diesel & 5-speed
2009 Yamaha T-Max scooter (SOLD)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: